« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Towbar Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Freelander22se

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Towbar Electrics

I`m guessing that the electrics just plug into connectors already somewhere in the car. Assuming this does the 13 pin socket still have and use same internal connectors therefore making it relatively simple to swap ?

I`m wondering about swapping my 2 7`s for a 13 pin 09 Plate Rimini Red Freelander 2 HSE with Roofrails, Side Mouldings, Sidetubes and Privacy Glass

Post #70170 7th Jun 2010 7:46 pm
Freelander22se

What - nobody can help me ? 09 Plate Rimini Red Freelander 2 HSE with Roofrails, Side Mouldings, Sidetubes and Privacy Glass

Post #70188 8th Jun 2010 12:36 am
blinged freelander

Haven't you twigged? This site slags members off, they try to get one over on other members, they fight with their own shadows, they dont actually help each other. If they do discuss anything, it's all totally irrelevent to Land Rovers, it's like an eventide home for the bored witless. Best not post, just watch for anything of interest, but dont hold your breath.

Post #70189 8th Jun 2010 1:27 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Nice to meet you too Mr Bling Laughing . 6 posts from you ALL grumpy moaning ones. How to make friends and influence people Thumbs Up I hope that without carnocks help your instal is all finished ---- NOT

22se, you can always use the search. I obviously didn't answer due to my hatred of towbars (and bling) and my morbid fear of electricity

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5847.html...+electrics At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #70192 8th Jun 2010 8:19 am
blinged freelander

Thank you for validating my point. I don't ned to say anything more really, nor would I want to, people can read and make their minds up themselves.

Post #70194 8th Jun 2010 9:05 am
Simon CSK

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Re: Towbar Electrics

Freelander22se wrote:
I`m guessing that the electrics just plug into connectors already somewhere in the car. Assuming this does the 13 pin socket still have and use same internal connectors therefore making it relatively simple to swap ?

I`m wondering about swapping my 2 7`s for a 13 pin

22e
I would think that you could simply cut back the cable and wire up the new plug that way. I have spliced into the towing electrics to provide provide mutiple power outlets in the boot. One bank permanently live and one bank for when the engine is running. At some point I intend to run a heavy duty power connection from the battery to the rear.

I suspect that in asking the question you are not fully conversant with the wiring so I would suggest that you leave it to a professional. Simon

2007 Freelander 2 Rimini Red HSE Auto
(Daily Driver)
1991 Range Rover CSK No. 98
(Toy)

Post #70195 8th Jun 2010 9:08 am
Freelander22se

Re: Towbar Electrics

Simon CSK wrote:
Freelander22se wrote:

I`m wondering about swapping my 2 7`s for a 13 pin

22e
I would think that you could simply cut back the cable and wire up the new plug that way. I have spliced into the towing electrics to provide provide mutiple power outlets in the boot. One bank permanently live and one bank for when the engine is running. At some point I intend to run a heavy duty power connection from the battery to the rear.

I suspect that in asking the question you are not fully conversant with the wiring so I would suggest that you leave it to a professional.

My question was simply does the 13 pin connector have same internal car connectors ? 09 Plate Rimini Red Freelander 2 HSE with Roofrails, Side Mouldings, Sidetubes and Privacy Glass

Post #70202 8th Jun 2010 12:29 pm
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Can I clarify, you have currently got twin electrics with a dedicated harness and you want to completely remove that and replace it with a single electric dedicated harness?

If so, I think they do have the same connection into the canbus as it will only have one port on the system for towbar wiring so regardless of weather it is 12n/12s. (I hope that makes sense!)

The best option may be to speak to LR and double check, or look at someone like PFJones website.

Post #70211 8th Jun 2010 2:19 pm
Freelander22se

Chris H wrote:
Can I clarify, you have currently got twin electrics with a dedicated harness and you want to completely remove that and replace it with a single electric dedicated harness?

If so, I think they do have the same connection into the canbus as it will only have one port on the system for towbar wiring so regardless of weather it is 12n/12s. (I hope that makes sense!)

The best option may be to speak to LR and double check, or look at someone like PFJones website.

I was looking at option of removing twin electrics with dedicated harness and installing 13 pin with dedicated harness - I was hoping both harnesses would have same connection at car electrics end 09 Plate Rimini Red Freelander 2 HSE with Roofrails, Side Mouldings, Sidetubes and Privacy Glass

Post #70215 8th Jun 2010 4:25 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had the set up as you FL22se so that was a 7 pin black and a 7 pin grey - Assuming you can pull the fuse/disconnect the battery so there are no live wires, all you have to do is cut all the wires at the back of the two sockets and rewire them into the single 13. I had a local towbar fitter do it for £10, but I also have the new rewire instructions/number to coloured wire code if you need them - just ask. Thumbs Up

Post #70239 8th Jun 2010 9:57 pm
Freelander22se

mcphersonstrut wrote:
I had the set up as you FL22se so that was a 7 pin black and a 7 pin grey - Assuming you can pull the fuse/disconnect the battery so there are no live wires, all you have to do is cut all the wires at the back of the two sockets and rewire them into the single 13. I had a local towbar fitter do it for £10, but I also have the new rewire instructions/number to coloured wire code if you need them - just ask. Thumbs Up

Thankyou but as i keep saying i dont want to rewire at towbar end - I would like to know if a 13 pin uses same connectors as 2 x 7 at car designated wiring end ie. plug and play 09 Plate Rimini Red Freelander 2 HSE with Roofrails, Side Mouldings, Sidetubes and Privacy Glass

Post #70244 8th Jun 2010 11:48 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry can't help with that Big Cry

Post #70250 9th Jun 2010 8:00 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Thank you but as i keep saying i don't want to rewire at tow-bar end - I would like to know if a 13 pin uses same connectors as 2 x 7 at car designated wiring end ie. plug and play[/quote]

Are you saying that you caravan has a 13 pin male plug and your car has 2 x7 pin sockets?.
If so Towsure www.towsure.co.uk do a converter lead Code E604.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #70252 9th Jun 2010 9:09 am
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White

The wiring kit has all the same connectors at the car end, but instead of one cable with 12 wires going to the 13 pin socket it has two wires to two sockets.

13 Pin:

Pin 1 Ind
Pin 2 fog
Pin 3 Earth (1 to Cool
Pin 4 Ind
Pin 5 Tail Light
Pin 6 Brake
Pin 7 Tail Light

Or in other words 12N but:

Pin 8 Rev
Pin 9 Perm Live
Pin 10 Ign Live (Fridge/Battery charging etc)
Pin 11 Earth for Pin 10
Pin 12 Trailer Sensing Device (rarely used but for Trailer traction control systems)
Pin 13 Earth for Pin 13

Or in other words 12S

As has been mentioned on previous topics, rewiring the towbar end is a cinch and a quick half an hour job. If you serach my previous posts on this topic I have provided instuctions for 13 pin to 2 x 7 pin. AS they say in all good manuals, refit is reverse of removal...

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #70253 9th Jun 2010 9:11 am
Freelander22se

BFGLR2Man wrote:
The wiring kit has all the same connectors at the car end, but instead of one cable with 12 wires going to the 13 pin socket it has two wires to two sockets.

13 Pin:

Pin 1 Ind
Pin 2 fog
Pin 3 Earth (1 to Cool
Pin 4 Ind
Pin 5 Tail Light
Pin 6 Brake
Pin 7 Tail Light

Or in other words 12N but:

Pin 8 Rev
Pin 9 Perm Live
Pin 10 Ign Live (Fridge/Battery charging etc)
Pin 11 Earth for Pin 10
Pin 12 Trailer Sensing Device (rarely used but for Trailer traction control systems)
Pin 13 Earth for Pin 13

Or in other words 12S

As has been mentioned on previous topics, rewiring the towbar end is a cinch and a quick half an hour job. If you serach my previous posts on this topic I have provided instuctions for 13 pin to 2 x 7 pin. AS they say in all good manuals, refit is reverse of removal...

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thankyou - however internet search gives differnt things to your list per pin for grey socket 09 Plate Rimini Red Freelander 2 HSE with Roofrails, Side Mouldings, Sidetubes and Privacy Glass

Post #70276 9th Jun 2010 4:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>