Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Headlamp conversion for contintental driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dmck

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand
Headlamp conversion for contintental driving

I read in the manual that the headlamps have a lever to adjust the beam for driving on the continent. I am off to France on Saturday and so I thought I would have a dry run as you need to remove the headlamp unit.

Unfortunately it looks as if this feature may only be for FL2s with Xenon lights as the inside of the headlamp unit (standard halogens on my SE) doesn't look like the diagram in the manual.

Does anyone know if I am correct in my assumption or am I missing something?

[/b]

Post #4027 25th Jun 2007 9:20 am
Cypress

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi,

I had a quick look at this when I got rid of those evil orange indicator bulbs.
I think that the lever is in side the headlamp unit. There is a cover on the back on the headlamp unit the lever looks like it is inside this.

BTW did you notice that there are no tools supplied to allow you to remove the lights.

Regards

Paul;

Post #4030 25th Jun 2007 10:23 am
dmck

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Paul,

Thanks for the response. I removed the headlamp unit as described in the manual, and then removed the black plastic cover to gain access to the inside of the unit. The diagram shows a lever on the outside of the back of the reflector, but there doesnt appear to be anything on mine. You need to remove 2 bolts to get the unit out, hence my dry run to ensure that I had the correct spanner size with me for use on the ferry.

Looks like it is a trip to Halfords for me to get those sticky plastic beam deflectors then!

Re toolkit, It is a shame that LR do not give a basic toolkit, as it could prove awkward if a bulb failed out on the road

Regards,

Douglas

Post #4032 25th Jun 2007 11:07 am
epl03

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi,

Before I bought my Freel GS, I asked the dealer whether the headlamps were switchable for Continental driving. He asked the workshops and they said they were. When the car was delivered, I was told that they are not switchable and they could not supply the bio-xenons as they require a different loom.

Just before I blew my top, he told me had ordered a set of LHD lamps and would fit them before I came to France. I now have both U.K. and Continental lamps which are reasonably easy to swap (exacerbated by the fact that I have the plastic lamp guards).

I was a bit annoyed but at least the dealer stood the cost of new lamps. As it happens, I will be registering the car in France soon (as I am going to be living here permanently), so it will make life a little easier for me.

Pete. (Freel 2 GS........so far no problems!!!) Happy doing nothing...........then my wife comes along!!!

Post #5831 28th Aug 2007 10:04 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It's the same on Audi's only the xenon equipped cars can be simply 'switched'. If I am not mistaken the sticky deflector thingys could do more harm than good on xenons due to the light beam/pattern of them....and in addition to this it keeps the manufacturing cost of the halogen unit down.

Post #5835 29th Aug 2007 8:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1