Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Have I made a big mistake in buying a Freelander?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andrewprd

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Have I made a big mistake in buying a Freelander?

Dear All,

I recently joined the Forum having purchased a 'Pre-Owned' 2008 Automatic HSE with 18000miles from a dealer in Devon. Many of you have been very kind to help with the variuos questions I have posted over the last week or so.
However, no sooner I get one thing sorted something else goes wrong. I am booked in with my Local Land Rover next week but these are the things that I can't sort.
1. Air Con doesn't work.
2. Parking sensors work not only when parking but sometimes when driving forward or reverse when there are no obstructions.
3. Loud ear piercing alarm continuous in nuetral this afternoon but OK this evening.
4. Bluetooth loads my phonebook but entries are in triplicate making for a very large list of numbers.
5. Cigarette and 12v ports didn't work. Sorted this myself with 2 new fuses.
6. Car lurches slightly when moving into 'R' or 'D'.
7. Engine seems noisy but this is my first diesel.
8. Can feel the lower gear changes but was told this is only slight and not to worry.
9. Discovered loose plastic trim at bottom of two doors.
10. Loose plastic cover passenger door lock.

I didn't discover these problems when I inspected the car and test drove it. More fool me for trusting a so called reputable garage.

Can't even get through to Samaritans!

I kept my last car for 9 years. Not this one.

Regards
AndrewPRD[/list]

Post #67894 6th May 2010 7:35 pm
Carnoch

Yeah, we like LR's, but they arn't exactly built very well and in the main the dealership network is crap at rectifying anything on warranty. Makes you wonder why we bother in honesty. Suppose it's a bit like people saying they like Jags, Morgans, Lexus or anything else. They are in love with the trade mark rather than the actual vehicle.

Post #67907 6th May 2010 8:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

at least with Lexus the aftersales/customer services actually try to fix things Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67909 6th May 2010 8:55 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

It does sound like you got a rouge one doesent it. All i can say to you is keep on at landrover to put these faults right. The one thing i will say that as with all autos when gear shifting between forward and reverse there will be a little jeark as as the drive is taken up by the torque converter. you will all so see that the car will try and move,this is quite normal. Good luck with all your other faults.

Post #67910 6th May 2010 8:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

what rights do you have on handing it back Question worth asking and making them aware that your THAT annoyed Idea Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67912 6th May 2010 9:01 pm
andrewprd

Hi Again,

I did notice one forum member stated that he trusted nobody, stressing the nobody. I am not like that. My life has been much the richer for seeing the positive side wherever possible. In this case I feel let down and also a little foolish.

I will persevere and get the problems sorted. After all its only a car. I can detect a lot of goodwill and enthusiasm on this forum and I still deep down really like the beast. I at least get compliments about the colour (Caspian Blue) not everyone's taste but different.

Thanks once again.

AndrewPRD

Post #67915 6th May 2010 9:18 pm
Simon CSK

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

andrewprd wrote:
Hi Again,

I did notice one forum member stated that he trusted nobody, stressing the nobody. I am not like that. My life has been much the richer for seeing the positive side wherever possible. In this case I feel let down and also a little foolish.

I will persevere and get the problems sorted. After all its only a car. I can detect a lot of goodwill and enthusiasm on this forum and I still deep down really like the beast. I at least get compliments about the colour (Caspian Blue) not everyone's taste but different.

Thanks once again.

AndrewPRD

Andrew
Stick with it. I have been driving Landrovers for the last 16 years and appreciate the niggles but in general they are very robust and whilst it is a niggle they will get you to where you are going before they give up the ghost.
In the main the stralers will look after you we had an engine problem with a V6 freelander which we kept for only 9 months as it was my wifes carbut when we traded it in we got more than we paid for it.

Post #67923 6th May 2010 9:51 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I have had mine now for just under 2 months, and it gave me a couple of sleepless nights early on. It is always a worry when changing your car as you never know how it is going to perform. I had my last car for over 2 years and other than a new battery (under warranty) it never missed a beat which put even more pressure on how the Freelander stacked up.
Anyway, I drove it home on that first day with a big smile on my face and parked it up outside and locked it, went out later to arrange my stuff in the boot and found that the tailgate didn't open with the central locking. This became an intermtitten fault, sometimes it would work for weeks then just stop for a day or two. A couple of weeks later I found a piece of Brake pad on the floor where it had been parked up. This resulted in a AA pick up and a hire car for 2 days (it was quite nice to see how the other half lived with the Auto and a HSE). Parking sensors played up when it rained and the Terrain response de-activated itself one day.
I have had to make a few trips to the dealers but they have always been very helpful and rectified all the problems (new brake pads on the back, new tailgate switch, parking sensor strip down and fault analysis). Everything was done under warranty, the car was always cleaned on return and I was offered to have it picked up and returned if I wished. Yes, it was a pain that my new (new to me that is) toy wasn't perfect straight off, but best to get these things sorted now and know it should be good for the future......And as for the big smile.......Always. Very Happy Very Happy

Post #67937 7th May 2010 8:05 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Have I made a big mistake in buying a Freelander?

andrewprd wrote:

1. Air Con doesn't work. - They can fix this and should
2. Parking sensors work not only when parking but sometimes when driving forward or reverse when there are no obstructions. The sensors on my car are very sensitive. I think that as they are so high, they need to be otherwise you'd miss the fence post and take the rear bumper out.
3. Loud ear piercing alarm continuous in nuetral this afternoon but OK this evening. Erm, pass
4. Bluetooth loads my phonebook but entries are in triplicate making for a very large list of numbers. Someone else mentioned this. Delete the phone remove the car from the phone bluetooth and re-pair. I had loads of problems with mine because of the size of the phonebook
5. Cigarette and 12v ports didn't work. Sorted this myself with 2 new fuses. I got the garage to do mine Smile
6. Car lurches slightly when moving into 'R' or 'D'. already mentioned and I agree with the comment.
7. Engine seems noisy but this is my first diesel. Take a Subaru Diesel out for test when it is cold! (check the oil)
8. Can feel the lower gear changes but was told this is only slight and not to worry.
9. Discovered loose plastic trim at bottom of two doors. They can fix this and should
10. Loose plastic cover passenger door lock. They can fix this and should

[/list]

Anyway, long story short, the car is under warranty. They have to get these things fixed, don't panic!!! Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #67939 7th May 2010 9:15 am
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

You can also buy an extended warrenty when it comed out of its 3 years makers warrenty. Although it doesn't cover everything.

waaxh03

Post #67944 7th May 2010 9:31 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Def a Friday afternoon motor.

I have always said I am not that naive to think all cars will be perfect all the time.

It's the way garages/dealers/mechanics etc handle the problems that makes the difference.
In my experience most of them treat you like you are lying or trying to cheat them when you get a problem and ask them to fix it. Rolling Eyes

Keep at em and don't lose your temper, that doesn't seem to help Embarassed

Post #67945 7th May 2010 9:35 am
ad210358

England 

Having these sort of faults with a used LR vehicle is not unheard of to me, when I bought a used TD5 from the local LR dealer a few years back it went back twice to get all the faults fixed. It was only six moths old and the list included a torn gear shift gaiter, a hole in the offside headlight glass and the spare wheel was so flat that it was coming off the rim and a three inch crack in the screen. it was as though it had not even been checked over prior to it being collected and they want you to Pdi it for them. But they did fix everything in the end. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #68007 7th May 2010 8:57 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Carnoch wrote:
Yeah, we like LR's, but they arn't exactly built very well and in the main the dealership network is crap at rectifying anything on warranty. Makes you wonder why we bother in honesty. Suppose it's a bit like people saying they like Jags, Morgans, Lexus or anything else. They are in love with the trade mark rather than the actual vehicle.

This is a true statement. I think if that were my car it would go back.

The triplicate on the bluetooth may be due to you having both phone and sim memory selected on your phone. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #68010 7th May 2010 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andrewprd

Well it goes in to my local Dealer on Wednesday. Not the one who sold me the car. This garage have also offered to carry out a free health check and I have in the few days of ownership washed, waxed and generally pampered the thing hoping it will take kindly to its new owner.

The sim card solution to the bluetooth problem looks interesting and I will look into that later today. Thank you for that.

I didn't mention in my initial posting that I was also concerned about the noisy engine. I have never owned a diesel before and my Daughter and Son-in-Law have just bought a five year old small BMW and that diesel engine is much quieter. I have no reason to suppose that anything is wrong with the engine. I was wondering though, if others have any comment/re-assuring words on the noise levels of their engines?

Once agian thank you all for taking the time to respond. I will post an entry after the remedial work if anyone is interested.

Regards,
AndrewPRD

Post #68087 9th May 2010 6:14 am
Wicksy

United Kingdom 

andrewprd wrote:
Well it goes in to my local Dealer on Wednesday. Not the one who sold me the car. This garage have also offered to carry out a free health check and I have in the few days of ownership washed, waxed and generally pampered the thing hoping it will take kindly to its new owner.

The sim card solution to the bluetooth problem looks interesting and I will look into that later today. Thank you for that.

I didn't mention in my initial posting that I was also concerned about the noisy engine. I have never owned a diesel before and my Daughter and Son-in-Law have just bought a five year old small BMW and that diesel engine is much quieter. I have no reason to suppose that anything is wrong with the engine. I was wondering though, if others have any comment/re-assuring words on the noise levels of their engines?

Once agian thank you all for taking the time to respond. I will post an entry after the remedial work if anyone is interested.

Regards,
AndrewPRD

One of the main reasons I'm considering an FL2 is because according to the research I've done, it is one of the quietest and most refined cars in its class - if the TD4 is noisy I'll be looking elsewhere Sad Prospective Freelander 2 owner

Post #68092 9th May 2010 10:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>