Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New FL2 HSE or used RRS HSE ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stormbird

Portugal 
New FL2 HSE or used RRS HSE ?

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of buying an FL2 HSE (Auto) which here in Portugal will cost me around 64,000 Euros but have the possibility of buying a 2007 my RRS HSE (full extras, with 82,000 kms) for 62,000 Euros (list new is 106,000 Euors). Which do you think is the better deal ?

Post #67621 1st May 2010 8:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Depends on what warranty you'll need 3yrs or 1 if approved used

the cars are different sizes in way of interior space, do you need larger? Or will the fl2 be fine?

If you go off road, do you get into areas that would need higher clearence?

I could go on... But you hsvebto answer them sort of Q's

I would go newer FL2, but then I am a FL2 owner, but would own a RRS if I could get a nearly new one for same money as what was paid for a FL2 HSE with extras Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67622 1st May 2010 8:46 pm
Stormbird

Portugal 

Hello npinks,
My current car is a 2007 BMW 520d Touring so I may miss some space, particularly in the boot if I move to an FL2. Having said that, the boot in the RRS is very shallow and the C-Pillars slope in sharply robbing a lot of room too so, overall the FL2 may be more practical !
My main concern moving to the FL2 is if I'm trading down - perceived value loss going to an FL2, hence the niggling thought that perhaps the better option would be the used RRS.
Going off road with the local Land Rover Club is a definite interest for me but I have no doubt that the FL2 could acquit itself very well in all but the most difficult circumstances.

Post #67632 1st May 2010 11:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Just a little contraversal worrying about going down market when you are coming up from a BMW to any Land Rover, but then again I am biased - as are many on this forum. Wink

To be honest the Freelander is a very different car to the RRS in many ways:
Running cost.
Space
percieved status - going to be some comment there.
performance.
ground clearance.

Most people here have already made the choice that best suits them. For me:
The space in the FL2 is superior to my old FL1, good enough for me.
Running costs with fuel at £1.20 a litre, are more affordable.
Performance, better than the FL1, and TDV6 RRS 0-60mph.
Ground clearance - you have me there, but many have been surprised how far you can take a Freelander with underbody protection.
Status- mmmm - mines bright orange, Shocked not really going to be mistaken for a RRS.

Like I said very different, would I buy a RRS - yes if it was new, out of warranty, no. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #67634 2nd May 2010 1:02 am
Stormbird

Portugal 

Andy131,
Thanks for your comments.
Sure the perceived quality - moving up or down market on the LR2 forum is going to be controversial but, surely understandable.
I had a Disco1 years ago. Loved it to death but it was very unreliable and expensive to run.
I've been through my fair lot of estates now - Audi A4, Merc E, Saab 95 and now the BMW 5. I want to get back into Land Rovers, and my wife is no critical help as she loves them so can't act as a foil when I'm trying to make a "sensible" decision.
I was about to to throw my lot in with a new LR2 HSE manual (there's an 11,000 pound premium for an auto box here in Portugal) when I caught sight of a 2007 RRS HSE on the forecourt - traded in my an old mate of mine a couple of weeks ago - so I baulked .... Confused
Decisions, decisions....... Big Cry

Post #67635 2nd May 2010 1:13 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I can see where you are coming from.

My last comment was based on experience, both my Freelander 1's had an awful lot of warranty work done on them. Certainly never managed 6 weeks in over 4 years without visiting the dealer.
Our FL2 has had a service, a flat battery once, and nothing else in 23000 miles / 10 months.

My worry would be, will the RRS be a money pit, or is it a good one, if you know it's history you will be in a better position than most.

When it comes to a silly premium for the auto, can you buy one cheaper in Spain, and drive it accross the border? Many people have bought cars cheaper in mainland Europe and brought them back over here - we are in the European Union, it has to be good for something.

Personal opinion, that many/most would refute, I would only buy an auto.
S auto would be my choice over a HSE manual. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #67636 2nd May 2010 1:51 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

If a friend traded in the Rrs then you maybe able to get a heads up on it's history Question

With a dog/cargo guard the FL2 boot is quite large as you have the extra space to stack things up if your worried on space, maybe try a boot loading in the dealership for your normal load? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67637 2nd May 2010 8:18 am
Stormbird

Portugal 

Andy131 and npinks,
You're both right.
I'm going to talk to my friend who traded in this 2.7 HSE for a new 3.0 HSE and since the dealership now owns his old car, he should give me an honest line on it.
I could of course buy a car anywhere in Europe but as I have residence in Portugal I would still have to pay tax on it as soon as the police pulled me over to check he paperwork.
On a new car I would be back at square one having saved nothing. With a used car I would save maybe a couple of thousand depending on the age of the vehicle.
I also agree that the auto box is ideal but would you pay 11,000 pounds more for this option ?? On no other car does this option cost so much. It's not Land Rover's fault as on the list book it's about 1,200 quid, but the green law in Portugal wacks on the rest as they consider the vehicle to be more of a pollutant. I guess they really do go with the "start/stop" advertising that Land Rover push !

Post #67639 2nd May 2010 10:08 am
Stormbird

Portugal 

Have either of you got any idea of possible problems on the RRS that I should be looking out for or ask about ?
Cheers
Thumbs Up

Post #67642 2nd May 2010 10:17 am
FR2471

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Hi Stormbird thats opening the flood gates Rolling with laughter

Post #67643 2nd May 2010 10:19 am
Stormbird

Portugal 

FR2471 wrote:
Hi Stormbird thats opening the flood gates Rolling with laughter
Oh great Shocked

Post #67649 2nd May 2010 11:36 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Stormbird wrote:
Have either of you got any idea of possible problems on the RRS that I should be looking out for or ask about ?
Cheers
Thumbs Up

www.RRSPORT.com

worth getting an opinion on the sister site too Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #67651 2nd May 2010 11:47 am
Stormbird

Portugal 

npinks wrote:
Stormbird wrote:
Cheers
Thumbs Up

www.RRSPORT.com

worth getting an opinion on the sister site too Thumbs Up

I'm there !

Post #67653 2nd May 2010 12:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1