« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New FL2 MPG Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
New FL2 MPG Diesel

Picked up my FL2 on Monday. Over a 43 mile journey to home, albeit with very little stop start, i averaged 47.8 mpg. I've been driving on rural roads ths week and it's now 42 mpg. I'm a careful driver and rarely journeys shorter than 10 miles, but nevertheless i'm impressed with the economy thus so far. Of course it's bound to get worse driven hard but all cars do particulary ones which weigh 2 tons!
Anyway, i love it, fabulous drive. Maybe not a UK company anymore, but designed and built here.
Well done to all those at Gaydon!

Post #66955 22nd Apr 2010 11:43 pm
lypsyl

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Post removed by user I know

Last edited by lypsyl on 19th May 2010 6:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #66956 22nd Apr 2010 11:59 pm
Pegleg

Been looking at some of your posts in this forum.
Look at my profile but keep it quiet!!!
Seems we may have electrics in common.
But i'm not telling which vehicles i'm responsible for!

Post #66957 23rd Apr 2010 12:14 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 
Re: New FL2 MPG Diesel

Do you win the award for person on the forum getting closest to the combined mpg figure? Cool

Pegleg wrote:
Maybe not a UK company anymore, but designed and built here.
Well done to all those at Gaydon!

PS: LR Last seen as a UK company in 1994! Laughing

Post #66961 23rd Apr 2010 6:52 am
Pegleg

Natwest,
I know, i spent 11 years at the Solihull plant!!

Post #66997 23rd Apr 2010 12:36 pm
lypsyl

Post #67018 23rd Apr 2010 4:46 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

That's amazing economy. We are averaging around 37mpg (just passed our first 1000 miles)

Post #67193 25th Apr 2010 5:37 pm
tonka

United Kingdom 

Mine now is about to hit 1000 miles & I get on a run 45/46mpg, short runs 34/35mpg well happy with those figures Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up If I had all the money I spent on Beer!, I'd spend it on Beer!.

Post #67194 25th Apr 2010 5:46 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I have to sy I have made several negative comments about the fuel consumption on my manual FL2 some may due to the car but most I suspect because I do many short journeys though I don't use the aircon & I am not heavy with the right foot. I do get a lot of turbo lag on general driving (not motorways or slow driving).

I have today just come back from a round trip to Coventry & Gaydon Motor Centre. I reset the trip shortly before we left on Saturday afternoon & was very impressed as I was returning around 38MPG on average. It very briefly landed on 40.2 but that was short lived & remained around 38 all the time though reading some figures here why don' I get mid 40's?

A technical question for the technical bods!!

When the trip "Ave MPG" is read, is that figure from the last time it was reset as if it hasn't been reset for a while the figure rarely moves? If so if you left re-setting it for a very long time will the reading be a more true value of what the vehicle is actually doing over that time thus giving a more acurate reading?.

If you want a true value of MPG should you reset the trip on each journey? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #67202 25th Apr 2010 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lypsyl

Post #67204 25th Apr 2010 9:53 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

lypsyl wrote:
There should be little if any lag as you have a variable nozzle turbo.

MPG is calculated from the time to reset it.

The longer you leave it the more accurate it will be.

There are simply too many factors to give you an answer to your question regards the mid 40'smpg and why you can't attain or maintain it.

If you require MPG per trip then yes reset it at the beginning of each journey.

Thanks.

R.E Turbo Lag. Mine is very noticeable on town type journeys on roads where you can change gears properly & even worse up hills i.e not stop/start traffic but normal driving etc as it can really pull you back. Fast roads like motorways - you don't get it. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #67210 25th Apr 2010 10:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pegleg

I've not reset the trip for six days and although i've only covered just under 300 miles in that time, i'm getting 44.7 mpg. No aircon on cos it's not working!! I do 60 on A roads but i don't do short journeys, 4 miles is the shortest twice a week.
The missus has got a mx5; when she drives it she gets 33mpg per week. I borrowed it for a week and got 41mpg. She brakes much harder than I so i suppose it's a lot to do with driving style!!

Post #67213 25th Apr 2010 11:48 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Beginning to think the fuel economy thing has to be to do with driving style and types of journey / terrain. Even the slightest incline and you can literally watch the MPG drop like a stone. Have been trying to drive very carefully and not boot it too much and recently managed to get it returning late 40's on a motorway / urban run (reset trip as going along to see what it would register at motorway speed). Gave it back to my better half registering 49.2 avg. She drove it once (short journey) now back down to 35.9. Think the FL2 is just susceptible to changes in terrain / driving style that a lighter and smaller car would not be. Friend of mine has a diesel Clio and he struggles to get it BELOW 50mpg! However, am prepared to put up with the MPG as the FL2 has a 5 star crash test rating, maybe due to its mass!

Post #67305 26th Apr 2010 9:18 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

The reading will drop like a stone when you encounter an incline, if the computer is reset regularly, but if it has not been set to zero for a longer period, then that same incline will probably have no effect. It is just a mathematical equasion.

I find on any car with m.p.g. technology the best way to evaluate the cars potential consumption, is to reset the trip meter once the engine has warmed up, and while you are on a gentle run and hardly using the accelerator. On the FL2 I would expect an immediate read out of 60 m.p.g. and this would gradually reduce to around 49 m.p.g. the official figures given for extra urban use. More aggressive driving will then bring the consumption down to the 39 to 42 m.p.g. range; and if constant short journeys and cold morning starts are on the agenda, then some of the readings are bound to be quite frightening. You only need to watch the instant results on cold starts which display 11 to 17 m.p.g. to realise how this effects overall consumption. I am fortunate in also owning a Seat Ibiza Eco which returns in excess of 70 m.p.g., and I always use this car on short journeys; I would never entertain using the FL2 on any journey of less than 20 miles; unless of course weather conditions called for it.

Another point to consider when buying a second hand or demonstrator car fitted with a trip computer; and that is to check out the readings on the computer before you get too attached to the vehicle. The indicated readings will identify how that car has been treated, and also give you an idea as to what the fuel consumption figure is likely to be.

Post #67488 29th Apr 2010 10:37 am
Simon CSK

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

The best MPG I have got on my FL2 was about 147mpg Shocked but that was only for a fleeting second after I had reset it whilst on the move. Then it dropped like a stone.

Have to agree about inclines, I have done a few long journeys fro Chester to Paisley and back and do this on one tankful sticking to about 65mph. I amuse myself by playing with the trip computer watching the range and the MPG. Rolling Eyes

Have noticed that on the hills the MPG does change significantly in both directions good and bad.

Post #67489 29th Apr 2010 11:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>