Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Does LR uses synthetic or regular oil in LR2 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
m1964

United States 
Does LR uses synthetic or regular oil in LR2 ?

The maintenance/oil change period here in the US is 6 months or 7500 miles as per my dealer. They tell me that LR2 comes filled with synthetic oil -any one knows if it's true?

I used to change regular oil at 3000 miles on a new car, and 2500 on my old volvo (over 150K miles), so 7500 is unusual, but if it is filled with synthetic at the factory, it should be fine.

Any one here knows the answer?

Thanks

Post #3841 16th Jun 2007 8:09 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

OK this the UK view ....

When I asked my dealer about oil top up I was handed a brochure about "Mobil 1" which is a fully synthetic product; now that is mind blowingly expensive in the UK. It is also strange because Land Rover (as part of Ford) have global alliance with BP therefore I would have expected that Castrol oils would be recommended. When I needed to top up oil for the first time I followed the specifications in the handbook and this brought me to a semi-synthetic product.

Having written the above I've just remembered you are in the USA therefore you car will be 'gas' not diesel; not sure what difference that will make. Having lived in the USA for three years I know that the likes of 'Jiffy Lube' make a very good living out of changing oil at 3k miles. I guess that changing more frequently than necessary is never going to be a problem. However with the lube oil manufacturers doing all they can to up-spec their products and increase the distance between oil changes there seems to be a conflict here !!!

Post #3843 16th Jun 2007 8:42 pm
m1964

United States 

avtur wrote:
...However with the lube oil manufacturers doing all they can to up-spec their products and increase the distance between oil changes there seems to be a conflict here !!!

Exactly -also, since there is "free" maintenace on LR2 for 50K miles, LR ( as every other automaker) will want to do as litle as possible and to stretch oil change/ maintenance as much as possible. Since I do a lot of stop-and -go driving, I wanted to make sure that the oil IS synthetic, otherwise I will be doing oil changes between the factory ones.

Post #3861 17th Jun 2007 7:12 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

If you look under Lubricants and fluids in the FL2 handbook it says Diesel vehicles use Engine oil to specification SAE 5W-30 meeting Ford 913-B specification and Petrol to SAE 0W-30 meeting ACEA A5 or B5 specification.

Diesel Vehicles
If you put (SAE 5W-30+913-B) into a search engine it comes up with several makes of oil which are semi synthetic.

Petrol Vehicles
If you put (0W-30+acea+a5/b5) into a search engine it comes up with with several makes of oil which are synthetic.

I hope this helps

waaxh03

Post #3863 17th Jun 2007 9:47 pm
Joiner_8

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Re: Does LR uses synthetic or regular oil in LR2 ?

m1964 wrote:
The maintenance/oil change period here in the US is 6 months or 7500 miles as per my dealer. They tell me that LR2 comes filled with synthetic oil -any one knows if it's true?

I used to change regular oil at 3000 miles on a new car, and 2500 on my old volvo (over 150K miles), so 7500 is unusual, but if it is filled with synthetic at the factory, it should be fine.

Any one here knows the answer?

Thanks

I use Castrol GTX Magnatec 05/30 on my lr2 as far as I know that is the oil that is recommended.

I hope that this helps

Post #3873 18th Jun 2007 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
waaxh03

Yes Castrol Magnatec 5W-30A1 meets Ford specification WSS-M2C913-A. As far as I know this is suitable for FL2 diesel engines but not FL2 petrol engines. See http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdeta...Id=7027374
I am not sure which engine M1964 has in his FL2, or should I say LR2 as he is in the USA

waaxh03

Post #3887 18th Jun 2007 7:06 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Defkalion, it seems many others here have used the Magnatec oils which I mentioned in our pm. I used them on my FL 1 once but she didnt use much oil. So I topped up the FL2 recently, has anybody had a high oil useage. I probably put in half a pint after 9k miles now on 10.5K not using that much from what I can see??

Post #3896 18th Jun 2007 8:40 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi everybody, yep I did change the oil a few days ago. It topped up with 7,5lt - just as the manual says - and used Castrol Formula SLX LongTec 0W-30. I think having spent a few years in England I am addicted to English products! Smile Let me point out that this is for the petrol i6. And it's really runny - you see new engines are so well built that you don't need anything thicker. Thumbs Up I changed the oil at 7100km as it's my first change so didn't want to opt for the proper 12k km's - not very environmental though, is it.
Btw m1964 what is this 'free maintenance for 50k miles' you mention? I guess it's only US applicable. Big Cry

Post #3967 22nd Jun 2007 10:38 am
avtur

waaxh03 wrote:
Yes Castrol Magnatec 5W-30A1 meets Ford specification WSS-M2C913-A. As far as I know this is suitable for FL2 diesel engines .........
I am not sure which engine M1964 has in his FL2, or should I say LR2 as he is in the USA

waaxh03

I'd be gob smacked if it wasn't petrol ... diesel in cars in the USA are very much a minority interest because 'gasoline' was so cheap (well until recently). In fact in some states you can't register a new diesel car beause of emission reg's.

Post #3971 22nd Jun 2007 12:30 pm
avtur

carlfraz wrote:
.................................. has anybody had a high oil useage. I probably put in half a pint after 9k miles now on 10.5K not using that much from what I can see??

Carlfraz

My oil usage is running somewhat higher than yours, I topped up with 1 litre at 6.5k miles, I'm now approaching 12.5k miles and it will take another litre to bring to the top mark. With another 2.5k miles to first service I must remember to top up soon!

Post #3972 22nd Jun 2007 12:47 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Blimey!!! I'll check mine again this weekend if I get chance in between the rain!!!! assuming that 'pigs tail' dipstick does not distort my reading of the levels....maybe thats been the problem...its probably empty I just get a distorted reading from the oil smeared everywhere Big Cry

Post #3977 22nd Jun 2007 6:47 pm
avtur

carlfraz wrote:
Blimey!!! I'll check mine again this weekend if I get chance in between the rain!!!! assuming that 'pigs tail' dipstick does not distort my reading of the levels....maybe thats been the problem...its probably empty I just get a distorted reading from the oil smeared everywhere Big Cry

Know what you mean, trying to get an accurate reading on the pigs tail when the engine is warn is near impossible ... I have to write myself a note to remind me to check when she's been stood for a while ....

Post #3983 22nd Jun 2007 8:59 pm
m1964

United States 

avtur wrote:
I'd be gob smacked if it wasn't petrol ... diesel in cars in the USA are very much a minority interest because 'gasoline' was so cheap (well until recently). In fact in some states you can't register a new diesel car beause of emission reg's.

They want emiisons low, but many states do not have diesel fuel supporting those emission standards-the diesel fuel is "dirty"...

Post #4072 26th Jun 2007 6:22 pm
waaxh03

The Castrol Technical Helpline phone number in GB is 01793 452222. They will tell you what oil you should be using for your car. I found them very helpful. Very Happy

waaxh03

Post #4073 26th Jun 2007 6:32 pm
Netwisdom

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I've also been steered towards Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30A1 for the diesel engine.

....and while we are talking of oil, I must add my comments that I find the twisty dipstick truely awful, it seems so cheap and nasty compaired to the rest of the car and I have no confidence that it is even showing the right levels - whats the thoughts on LR changing this ?

Post #4118 27th Jun 2007 9:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>