Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Just collected a new Freelander GS - First Land Rover But...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Just collected a new Freelander GS - First Land Rover But...

Hi All

Was hoping for some advice. Picked up my new Freelander GS 'e' manual yesterday from the dealer. This was after driving a courtesy XS Freelander for the last few days which I have loved.

Aside from problems with the handover - incorrect finance documents, the car not being clean etc etc - my major concern is a vibration when the engine is under load.

Between 1200 and 1500rpm on light throttle when the engine is under load - there is a vibration through the steering wheel but can also be felt in the passenger compartment. At times it can be felt throughout the cabin so any keys or anything in the cabin start rattling away. As soon as the revs climb it passes or if the load on the engine drops - like going downhill.

This is particularly noticeable on a twisty road where you are slowing for a corner and then accelerating gently out of the corner. The solution is to use a lot more throttle - or to constantly drop down a gear to keep the engine 'on the boil' but of course that will play havoc with the fuel consumption.

This really ruins the 'refined' feel of the freelander and don't see it as acceptable in a car that costs over £26k for a fairly simple spec.

I didn't notice this in the GS manual I test drove or in the XS (auto) I have had for a few days.

is this a 'feature' of the Freelander or is something not right with mine?

Aside from that, I think the car is great but have to get this problem sorted.

Many thanks

Post #65551 4th Apr 2010 4:59 pm
yaugher

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

That doesnot sound right...return the vehicle ASAP ...you have 1000 miles and a time limit in which to return it I seem to recall

Dont mess about return it and get another fl2..... Sept 1 2010 Now the PROUD owner of Galway Green Auto Diesel HSE

Post #65553 4th Apr 2010 5:10 pm
trg

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I've never driven one that does that, doesn't sound right to me. It must seem a bit disappointing at the moment but get is sorted and persevere - the car is worth it. Thumbs Up

Post #65555 4th Apr 2010 5:21 pm
Junior

England 

Mines a manual and is very smooth right through the gears-Take it back asap, And don't let them book you in next week or the week after, ie NOW

Post #65558 4th Apr 2010 5:40 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

There are many resons why you have viberation such as yours. Most moving parts from the crankshaft in the engine, drive shafts to the wheels. All these rotating parts need to be balanced, if not at certan revolutions there will be an inbalance causing viberation that you are suffering from.
Take it back as soon as possible stating the fault.
They have a duty to put it right or supply you with a repacement as if the first one is not repared you can argue it was not fit for the purpose it was intended for.
There should be a 1000 mile exchange policy if your not completly satisfied.
It would be good to hear from you on the outcome of your fault. Dont let them talk you down as you should know your rights. Thumbs Up

Post #65562 4th Apr 2010 6:01 pm
flylr

Thanks for all your feedback. I emailed the dealer the day I collected the vehicle (yesterday) to express my concern. Now I have driven the freelander on a mix of familiar roads most of today I am convinced it is not right and is a major concern. This is not what I bought a brand new car for.

I suspect the 1000 mile exchange policy is for approved used cars only and not new cars but I will be in contact with the dealer tomorrow to see what they have to say for themselves.

Post #65563 4th Apr 2010 6:11 pm
swfrom07

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Definitely doesnt sound right. I have a 2010 GS manual too and as others have said it is very smooth through the gears.
Hope the issues are sorted soon by the dealer and you are back enjoying your FL2 ownership.

Post #65606 5th Apr 2010 11:35 am
flylr

Just an update. Car went back to the dealer for a few days and was declared 'normal'.
I drove another manual (a 59 XS) - and it was very similar. i.e. In my view excessive vibration when the engine is under load. Seems I Have to accept the engine is a bit tractorish Big Cry A real let down given the rest of the car is so refined - particularly the ride which is excellent. Had I noticed on the test drive I probably would not have bought it.

The dealer also tidied up the car a little better than when we first collected it new. I couldn't believe how poor the prep was on first collection. It was the worst condition I had ever received a new car in. And I had told them to keep it a day longer to get it 'perfect'. What a waste of time that was.

Settled down with the FL2 now. 1200 miles under the belt already - enjoying it except for the lack of engine refinement. Wish I had bought the auto though - it feels more refined for sure.

Post #66780 20th Apr 2010 7:43 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I feel FL2 engine is more refined now then when I collected it year ago (new), probably due to run-in and so on so you may have a similar experience. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #66782 20th Apr 2010 8:05 pm
flylr

Thanks.... that's what I am hoping! Mr. Green

Post #66796 20th Apr 2010 10:49 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

flyir, read my post of 3 days ago "new freelander new problems" All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #66797 20th Apr 2010 10:53 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mmm. Sounds very dodgy to me.

There was a lot of posts on the Smax forums regarding issues with Dual Mass Flywheels on the Diesel engines. Seeing as the Freelander has the same engine, basically, I wonder if this is the same thing.

My Smax did it when the engine was very new a few times it then went away. A buddy of mine fitted a Tuning Box to his and it nearly shook the car to pieces. The box had to be turned down to its lowest setting and there was still vibration so he took it off.

1200 - 1500 is low revs and just as the torque starts to come one line.

If it was me I would write a letter to the dealer and copy land rover advising that you are not happy with the situation and the fact that it is considered "normal".

Do Land Rover still have their engineers that will come out to check specific issues? I know that they used to. My old Chap had them come out to check his Range Rover years ago. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #66807 21st Apr 2010 8:45 am
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I experienced this on a Auto the other day.

Hmmmmmmm 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #66848 21st Apr 2010 5:44 pm
ptecuk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

1200 to 1500 are quite low revs. Could it be simply that the engine is labouring under load at these low revs. I have a manual and tend to keep revs above 1500 rpm by changing gear when under load e.g. uphill or wanting to overtake.

Post #66936 22nd Apr 2010 6:59 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

The Freelander 2 has a DUEL MASS flywheel which in short is two units in one and works like this. The flywheel is fixed to the crankshaft and rotates with the engine. As the crankshaft turns there is a pluse from each compression stroke. Thee second half of the duel mass flywheel can turn clockwise and anti clockwise by so many degrees. This is controlled by springs to dampen the pluses from the engine and thus delivering a smoother final end drive to the gearbox and final drives.
The problem of judder can arrise when there is a fault in the duel mass flywheel springs not dampening the compression stroke pluse from the engine. This will then typically snatch at the second part of the flywheel causing judder. If you want to know more Type in to utube duel mass flywhells there you will see what i meen and see some faulty ones ingarages Thumbs Up

Post #66938 22nd Apr 2010 7:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>