« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear Knock and sluggish sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JJD

England 
Rear Knock and sluggish sat nav

Hi - apologies for posting the mundane. I have two relatively minor but irritating issues with a fairly new (one year old) Freelander 2. The first is that the car has always had a "knocking noise" coming from the wheel arch area rear drivers side. One dealership have told me that this is a "known washer problem" and have tried and failed to fix it. Another dealership have told me its unfixable and "in all Freelander 2s". The knocking occurs when going over a pot hole, speed cushion or pulling away from start (its only a single knock rather than a "knocking").
The second problem i have is with the sat nav - normally OK but sometimes the display seems to lag behind the cars actual live position (updating too slowly, slow processor?). This is only a problem when approaching an unfamiliar complex junction/intersection/roundabout. It happened twice over the weekend, appearing to freeze for about 45 seconds - long enough for me to have gone the wrong way.
Any advice much appreciated.

Post #65105 30th Mar 2010 7:32 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I cannot say anyth,ng to knock but for the satnaw can it be a bad disk? May be cratched so it can't get the info when needed?

Why don't you check the discs condition? 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #65106 30th Mar 2010 7:57 am
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I've had both these problems - the knock persistently and the sat nav occasionally. There are some bushes on the rear suspension which were redesigned a year or so ago and I think there's a bulletin which tells dealers to replace with the new design if a customer complains of knocking from the rear suspension. I had mine back twice - the first time they said they found one or two loose nuts but the knocking persisted. The 2nd visit entailed changing the bushes. The knock improved but not completely.
As you say, it's noticeable on potholes mainly.
Sat nav does occasionally lag but usually sorts itself out so I haven't done much to investigate.

Post #65110 30th Mar 2010 9:34 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I doubt your FL2 will be suffering from the bushes problem as I think this relates to early FL2's. Sounds like the knocking noise I had on my 08 plate, slight bump and pulling away often generated a knock from the drivers side rear, sounds like something loose in the boot?

If this is the case 'GOOD LUCK' getting it sorted, I had an absolute nightmare getting fixed (about 4 trips to one dealer who couldnt fix it and told me to go elsewhere and 2 week long stays at another dealer who eventually got it fixed although offered no explaination). Apparently it took some keyhole surgery and was something to do with the chassis. My knocking noise began quiet and infrequent but after about 4 months was louder and occured everytime i hit a bump or accelerated! Be persistant with the stealer!!

Post #65124 30th Mar 2010 11:59 am
JJD

England 

Dear All
Many thanks for the input - clearly some of you have heard the knocking i refer to (rear suspension). I`ll mention the possible bush problem to my dealer and keep my fingers crossed. One dealership said that even brand new LR2`s had this and thus i would just have to live with it.

Post #65155 30th Mar 2010 4:43 pm
shilen

Dont let them make you beiieve it is not a fault. Best course of action is to find a bumpy road near your dealer and do a couple of dummy runs to make sure you hear the knocking, then get the dealer to send someone out with you and go down that road again and have them acknowledge the noise!

The first time i took a technician out with me we went along smooth roads and the odd time i did hear it the LR guy didnt, had me thinking it was me hearing things! Each technician I took out had a different theory

1) Loose side skirt on rear door, took off, refixed (for it to fall off day after due to poor fixing!)
2) Something loose inside back door, stripped down to find nothing loose!
3) Suspension bushes, replaced but not cured
4) Suspension - bolts and washers changed hopeful of a fix - failed!

I must admit the FL2 does come with a few unwanted extras, such as worn b pillars and rear parking sensors that are not waterproof - all of which we are told that we have to live with! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #65172 30th Mar 2010 6:53 pm
JJD

England 

Dear Shilen
Many thanks again. Just so that i understand you right and can possibly push a disinterested dealer in the right direction, did you ever get your knocking cured? Was it ever tied to something specific?
I totally understand want you mean by test drives - my car was returned to me last week and i was told that it was "absolutely silent" even on bumpy roads. I still have buzzing resonances from the dash and this rear knocking. Either they are deaf or i am mad or unbelievably fussy.
JJD

Post #65212 31st Mar 2010 8:04 am
shilen

Hi JJD, yes it was cured but they offered no explanation other tham it took 3 days of keyhole surgery to fix. I am guessing here but maybe the chassis and shell were catching somewhere, it was a bit annoying considering how long I had to put up with it.

When the dealer tried the bodyskirt approach I was told when I collected my vehicle "all done, no problems now", within 100 yards of driving off the knocking was there so I immediately turned round and went back and demanded a technician come out with me to prove it hadnt been fixed. Personally I think the dealers shy away from an issue such as a knocking noise as they simply dont know whats causing it and it would take a lot of labour time to find whereas they could be servicing other Land Rovers earning the company £200 per hour or whatever they make on their over-the-top servicing costs!

Like I say be persistant, also try another dealer if you have one nearby, also if you had your FL2 brand new you are entitled to reject the vehicle under the Sales of Goods Act if you are unhappy with it due to a problem - provided that you have given the dealer the opportunity to resolve, something I was on the brink of doing!

Post #65220 31st Mar 2010 9:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1