Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > What would you take? Cooper Disco ATR or Nokian WRG2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stuartr

Iceland 
What would you take? Cooper Disco ATR or Nokian WRG2?

The Wrangler HP's that came with my Freelander 2 are nearly dead after a short 23,000km. I guess they don't like the gravel and mountain roads here. I am looking for a tire that can function well on the road, but also deal with gravel roads, dirt roads, some not too deep river crossings and so on. I drive in the mountains a lot in the summer, but generally the terrain is not that horrible. I am more interested in going places out in the country than offroading for the sake of offroading, so if the conditions are really extreme, I will not go or find a way around.
There is not such a huge variety of tires available here, and it appears that the two best options are the Cooper Discoverer ATR's and the Nokian WRG2's. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. The Cooper looks like it might be better off road. I had Nokian WR's on my last car (a VW passat), and I loved them, but I am not so sure how they will do on gravel and dirt. I will be on asphalt about 85% of the time, so as long as they are both decent off road, I would prefer to one that is better on the road...
Last thing -- price is similar, but the Nokians are cheaper...very different from the US...

Post #65097 29th Mar 2010 10:35 pm
Stuartr

Iceland 

anyone??

Post #65131 30th Mar 2010 2:11 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have Cooper ATRs, and highly rate them.

On road, they work as well as my continentals the car came with. They'll still get a bit of under steer if pushed in a damp roundabout/corner too hard, but so did the contis.

Not loud on road, wouldn't know the difference between road tyres and these.

Would definitely rate these.

Rich

Post #65139 30th Mar 2010 2:59 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Kumho KL78 for me, can't fault them Thumbs Up
Standard FL2 17" tyre size, good AT tread pattern and quite on the road Very Happy

Post #65167 30th Mar 2010 6:04 pm
Stuartr

Iceland 

Thank you both! I am not aware of a Kumho dealer here, so I think it will stay between the Nokian and Cooper. I was initially leaning towards Nokian since I had such a good experience with them, but now I think I may go with the Coopers. There are many more reviews of them and people recommending them for on/off road use. I know the Nokians would be great on the road and in bad weather, but I am a bit more concerned about long trips on gravel roads, mud and river crossings etc. It's nice to hear that you recommend them highly Rich. I just wish tires weren't so expensive here. The Coopers are 42900 ISK -- that is 330 USD each, or 220 GBP. I am not even sure if that includes mounting and balancing. Probably not. The Nokians aren't much better at 40,000 or so. (22.50USD/15 GBP less per-tire). That is about double (or more) what they cost in the US...

Post #65182 30th Mar 2010 8:42 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Different prices in different countries does your head in.

Not a lot you can do though.

Post #65201 30th Mar 2010 11:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1