Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2008 FL2 vs. 2011 - Major Differences?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hutchingsp

2008 FL2 vs. 2011 - Major Differences?

OK so originally I was looking at a brand new FL2, but myself and the dealer couldn't reach an acceptable (to me) price to change so today I went to look at another dealer and also had a look at their used stock.

They have a 2008 08 HSE which looks pretty nice and the cost to change could be around £7.5k vs. around £19.5k for a new vehicle.

Whilst I'm fortunate that I could go for the new one, it feels like too much money - especially if I may decide in a years time that I want to change (the depreciation on my current car feels bad enough after 4.5 years).

So, anything I need to be aware of that is a major difference between an 08 TD4 manual and a current TD4?

Thanks.

Post #88137 15th Jan 2011 4:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The new TD4 has 10 less bhp but a little more torque (not sure how much more). Its supposedly more refined too. There is the SD4 which is more powerful of course but thats dearer still. Don't think there is any gearbox differences. Obvious advantage is warranty and breakdown with new cars and residual values have gone up recently for 4x4's cos of all the snow. Pros and cons to both, test driving both is the key. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #88144 15th Jan 2011 4:57 pm
EYorkshire

The new TD4 is "greener" with less emissions so road tax is cheaper, can be from £200 to £155 I believe unless you own a TD4e then it's £180 to £155.
Also more economical and stop/start incorporated on the manual

Post #88148 15th Jan 2011 5:11 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Just gone from MY08 td4 to MY11 td4.
The difference is quite stggering.
The new one is more refined, quieter and dow more mpg. At speed it feels less pushed.
The power from the engine alothough 10ps less is better spread - no huge push that you got from the old one.

Suspension is better damped - speed humps and pot holes although never a real problem are not a problem at all now.

Less 4x4 and more RRS!!!

The only downside seems to be pick up from low revs in too high a gear - the old one seems more able to do this but it may be that the new one will be better once it has more miles under its belt. There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #88195 15th Jan 2011 9:01 pm
hutchingsp

Thanks all so far. Not really sounding like £12k's worth so far tbh "new car feel" aside of course.

Post #88204 15th Jan 2011 9:42 pm
SPNRACING

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

DrownedRat wrote:
Suspension is better damped...

The suspension is... the same? 2010 HSE Auto in Santorini Black/almond with xenons and privacy glass.

Post #88609 18th Jan 2011 10:36 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

SPNRACING wrote:
DrownedRat wrote:
Suspension is better damped...

The suspension is... the same?

Definately doesn't feel it - corners flatter and is less noisy over potholes and road humps - Not as much road noise through the car either even though it is on same tyres as my previous My08.

Did they make changes between 2008 and the introduction of the new one then? I'm not the first to comment on it. There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #88720 19th Jan 2011 11:08 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Have to agree ride seems better in MY11 TD4 over 07 TD4. Also believe that there is more soundproofing in the MY11 which could explain why it is quieter.

Post #88726 19th Jan 2011 11:45 pm
howl

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Fuji White

The new MY11 Freelander has numerous differences inside (vs MY10):
1. New engine, now called DuraTorq DOHC CR DI 190PS.
2. New water-cooled turbocharger. This is really a good news, since the old MY10 was not water-cooled.
3. New fuel injectors. Dunno whats the difference, but they are 2x cheaper than MY10. Hope they are more reliable than the old ones, which failed frequently.
4. EGR system has cooler bypass valve (in MY2010 EGR is always cooled), what can probably lead to better engine performance/start in low temp.
5. New intercooler (probably to match new turbocharger).
6. New TCM (transmission control module), although transmission is the same AWF21.
7. other not-so-cool things, such as rear differential, driveshaft, FFBH, etc... still not sure about suspension, will see.

Note, that 150PS version has exactly the same powertrain as 190PS and seems to be nothing more than software-power-limited version of 190PS. So owners of 150PS MY11 have a good chance to cheap upgrade to 190PS in the nearest future. Smile

The difference between MY08 and MY11 is colossal, since (besides other stuff) MY08 uses Haldex gen3 (which sucks), and since MY09 all Freel2 (incl. MY11) use Haldex gen4 (which rules! Smile). In other words, MY08 is completely different car, dont take it if you can afford MY11.

Last edited by howl on 23rd Jan 2011 11:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #89456 23rd Jan 2011 11:13 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

A very interesting first post Very Happy

Welcome Howl Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #89457 23rd Jan 2011 11:21 pm
howl

npinks wrote:
A very interesting first post Very Happy

Welcome Howl Thumbs Up

Thanks npinks,

If someone knows more differences, let's discuss them here... I own MY11 150PS just a month, the car is awesome on our slippery and snowy winter roads... At first i thought it's really just a facelift, but it isn't, the engine is really new. For now, the most interesting question for me is how to make 190PS from my 150. Smile

Post #89461 23rd Jan 2011 11:41 pm
howl

Indeed, the suspension in MY11 has minor differences from MY10. For example, the front frame assy is new and has a special anti-vibration damper (which seems to be missing in MY10 and older). IMHO this is really the thing which can cause MY11 to feel softer and quieter on the road. Rear suspension is basically the same. Shock absorbers and springs are the same.

Post #89488 24th Jan 2011 9:20 am
alex_pescaru

howl wrote:

So it's a Ford engine after all, not an PSA anymore...
Or at least there is more Ford involvment than the old PSA...
This is why they have different injectors. But history tell us that not even the injectors that equipped Ford engines wasn't so reliable...
As for the FFBH, they switch from the old ThermoTop V to ThermoTop C by any chance?

Post #89500 24th Jan 2011 10:16 am
howl

alex_pescaru wrote:
howl wrote:

So it's a Ford engine after all, not an PSA anymore...
Or at least there is more Ford involvment than the old PSA...
This is why they have different injectors.

Exactly! No more french engines! Smile Wikipedia has a good article about Ford DuraTorq
(code name "Puma") engines, seems that ours is "made in England" by Ford.
Quote:

But history tell us that not even the injectors that equipped Ford engines wasn't so reliable...

Yeah, they all greatly depend on fuel quality. Here in Russia we still sometimes have a bad diesel (with high water, sulfur content etc), so if by a chance it gets into Freel's "mouth", any injector will fail sooner or later. So we are cautious about choosing gas stations etc.
Quote:

As for the FFBH, they switch from the old ThermoTop V to ThermoTop C by any chance?

Would be a great idea, but i doubt it. Next week i'll meet with a certified webasto/LR2 spec, will ask him about it.

Post #89503 24th Jan 2011 12:28 pm
Jim NI

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Loire Blue

[quote] Exactly! No more french engines! Smile Wikipedia has a good article about Ford DuraTorq
(code name "Puma") engines, seems that ours is "made in England" by Ford.[quote]

Castings for these are produced in Belfast by Montupet (in the old DeLorean Factory) and assembled at Dagenham 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)
Gone - 2007 SE Santorini Black (Clutch at 120k)
BT IID (best money ever spent on a car)

Post #89551 24th Jan 2011 7:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1