« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Car going slow when fuel nearly empty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Car going slow when fuel nearly empty

I was a bit late topping up my fuel today, and the "range indicator went to zero".

I then found the car seemed to go into a "sluggish mode" and lacked power - perhaps as an economy feature to get you home. All on the open road.

Anybody else had this, or was my fuel pump just struggling to suck in fuel from a nearly empty tank.
Put full tank of fuel in, and power restored to normal.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #3565 4th Jun 2007 4:58 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Car going slow when fuel nearly empty

markconnor33 wrote:
I was a bit late topping up my fuel today, and the "range indicator went to zero".

I then found the car seemed to go into a "sluggish mode" and lacked power - perhaps as an economy feature to get you home. All on the open road.

Anybody else had this, or was my fuel pump just struggling to suck in fuel from a nearly empty tank.
Put full tank of fuel in, and power restored to normal.

Mark

Brave man Mark,

I've played russian roulette with the range indicator a couple of times but I've never pushed it below 20 .... The time I pushed most was when I filled up having completed 602 miles on the tank full. Squeezed 67 litres into it that time ..... (40.9mpg)

Post #3567 4th Jun 2007 6:19 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

It baffles me in this day and age why they can't invent an accurate fuel gauge, be it a needle or computer - I don't think I've ever driven a car where the needle didn't show "full" for the first 60 or so miles, and halfway actually meant you'd used about 3/4 of your fuel.

And even with computers... my Disco 3 went from 50 miles range to 5 in less than 10 miles, just on a normal, flat, 60mph A-road.

Post #3568 4th Jun 2007 6:24 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've hit the zero several times but never noticed any power loss. Mind you I have never thrashed it to tell, i've always been tickling the throttle gently.....just in case!!

Post #3572 4th Jun 2007 7:24 pm
insider

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

There is special software in the engine management to induce the lack of performance feeling, this is to show you that you really have run out of fuel , it should only happen after trip computer has range gone to zero . The reason Land Rover put this software in is so you do not have an expensive repair as the fuel lubricates the fuel pump , if you run dry you will have to have the system bled and possibly a new pump . Next time you experience this feeling find a fuel station pronto !

Post #3580 4th Jun 2007 8:47 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

a strange feeling, and a clever touch by landrover I thought.

Have generally found fuel countdowns to be pesimistic, so pushed it, but will not make a habit of it.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #3593 5th Jun 2007 8:34 am
Freddy

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

The FL2 will never actually run out of fuel, as the software will shut down the engine before the tank runs dry. Reason for this is as explained by insider to prevent the fuel pump running out of lubricant. But nonetheless the car will stop on the road, due to lack of fuel. So I guess it's the same thing, just a bit of clever engineering.

On the fuel gauge accuracy, there seems to be a software bug on some of the earlier FL2’s that result in the fuel gauge showing ¼ full when in fact you are running on empty Shocked

Apparently any FL2’s on the most recent software version have this bug seen to.

The worrying thing about this though is that the fuel gauge fault can pop up at anytime, usually after about 1500 miles or so.

So I think a wise precaution would be to zero the trip each time you fill up, take note of the range on the TC & keep an eye on the distance driven on your trip & cross reference this to your available range. This should mean you can see if your fuel gauge reading is making sense. “You feel uneasy, as the mad scientist locks the door behind you & dissolves the key in a vat of Acid”

Post #3597 5th Jun 2007 2:07 pm
JMMYM

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

25 grand and you're supposed to go through the rigmarole of writing your mileage down so you don't run out of juice because the fuel gauge, trip computer and trip meter are either unreliable or have a habit of self resetting Sad

Post #3600 5th Jun 2007 4:26 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

JMMYM wrote:
25 grand and you're supposed to go through the rigmarole of writing your mileage down so you don't run out of juice because the fuel gauge, trip computer and trip meter are either unreliable or have a habit of self resetting Sad

yes.... its bloody sad isn't it?

There's no way I will run out fuel because of this, BUT becuse I recharge my works mileage to the company I don't want to loose my record becasue of the computer reset. So I have to admit that I'm a bit anal about writing down the mileage when I'm on works business; I do keep a little book in the car ... sorry if that sounds sad. But I do this to keep the personal cost of running the car to an absolute minimum.

Post #3607 5th Jun 2007 6:28 pm
Freddy

JMMYM wrote:
25 grand .......................................

Oh you lucky lucky sod !!!

Try Eur 42,990.00 (£29,185.00 stg) + metallic for a base model Freelander 2 & up to Eur 56,100.00 (£38,000 stg) for the HSE, again + metallic & any other options.

Big Cry Big Cry & Censored “You feel uneasy, as the mad scientist locks the door behind you & dissolves the key in a vat of Acid”

Post #3618 5th Jun 2007 8:36 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

OUCH!! Big Cry

Post #3619 5th Jun 2007 8:40 pm
Cypress

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Freddy wrote:
JMMYM wrote:
25 grand .......................................

Oh you lucky lucky sod !!!

Try Eur 42,990.00 (£29,185.00 stg) + metallic for a base model Freelander 2 & up to Eur 56,100.00 (£38,000 stg) for the HSE, again + metallic & any other options.

Big Cry Big Cry & Censored

I guess that these prices include VRT and VAT without these the price might be quite good Smile

Regards

Paul;

Post #3631 5th Jun 2007 10:51 pm
Freddy

Correct those are the retail prices including the VRT & VAT !

Apparently Ireland is one of the cheapest countries pre tax in Europe with the cost being kept artificially low to compensate & then one of the most expensive after tax.

For a while some years ago, there were quite a few buyers from the UK purchasing their Land Rovers here in Ireland, them importing back to the UK & making quite a significant saving even when all UK taxes & duties were paid. Given the Sterling / Euro ex rate, it was even better.

Today though I’d say it’s not quite as rosy, as the Irish Spec is quite a bit lower than the UK cars, whereas in the past we got UK cars here.

Take a D3 for instance where an SE here is more like a UK “S” spec. Same goes for our HSE being more like your SE.

Not sure how the models play out with RRS or FL2 though. “You feel uneasy, as the mad scientist locks the door behind you & dissolves the key in a vat of Acid”

Post #3637 6th Jun 2007 9:38 am
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Just a reminder. Page 19 of British hand book states:- Never allow your vehicle to run out of fuel as the resultant misfire may destroy the catalytic converter.

waaxh03

Post #3646 6th Jun 2007 6:07 pm
Freddy

Perhaps it’s only the Diesels that have the software to shut down the engine, before fuel runs dry. Given that the high pressure fuel pump is lubricated by the diesel.

But then if expensive damage can be done to the catalytic converter on petrol models, you’d have to wonder why such protection isn’t built in also Confused

Oh it's a strange world all this software on cars these days. Bring us back to the simple days of plugs & points I say Cool “You feel uneasy, as the mad scientist locks the door behind you & dissolves the key in a vat of Acid”

Post #3670 7th Jun 2007 12:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>