« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > TD4 Gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
TD4 Gears

The one thing that it's taking time for me to get comfortable with with my TD4 is the gears. I've been driving for a little over 20 years and owned 8 different cars, including a TD5 Disco II and a TDV6 Disco 3, which have had anywhere between 4 and 6 gears. The one consistent thing I've found is that just cruising around at 30mph, they've all been pretty comfortable in 4th (with a little oomph still in hand), and normally are happy to sit in 5th at 40mph. So I'm kind of conditioned to be using these gears at these speeds (unless accelerating of course).

But with my FL2, these gears/speeds just seem to labour the engine. I'm finding that I need to be in 3rd at 30mph, and 4th only really becomes an option closer to 40mph. At the top of the scale, 6th only feel right at 70mph+, but I guess it's meant to be a cruising gear anyway. With 6 gears, I'm surprised the "spread" isn't lower down the scale, especially for a vehicle which is likely to spend more time under load at lower speeds than high-speed cruising.

I think I'm mentally conditioned to think "higher gear = better fuel economy", even though I really know that this isn't necessarily the case. In the early days of the Disco3 forums, I seem to remember somebody making a good post about fuel economy relating to optimum engine speed, rather than lower engine speed, anyone remember seeing that?

Anyone else got any views on this?

Post #3552 4th Jun 2007 10:55 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Night fox,

How many miles has your car done? My car is fine at 30mph in 4th and will pull from that as well, but at nearly 12k miles it's well run in. I would also say that I'm frequently using 6th at way below 70mph (which is spot on 2000 rpm).

For me there's a difference between using a gear to keep up with traffic, and choosing a gear that will allow more agile acceleration if the opportunity is found. But I find that from 1200-1300 rpm the engine is remarkably repsponsive.

Post #3571 4th Jun 2007 6:46 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I think LR got suckered into making the headline fuel consumption figures with the 6th gear which is an overdrive. I would have much prefered a much lower optional 1st gear (i.e. normal 1st is what it is now , but there is a gated 'super low' for off road , and dealing with heavy trailers etc)

Post #3577 4th Jun 2007 8:00 pm
NightFox

avtur wrote:
Night fox,

How many miles has your car done? My car is fine at 30mph in 4th and will pull from that as well, but at nearly 12k miles it's well run in. I would also say that I'm frequently using 6th at way below 70mph (which is spot on 2000 rpm).

For me there's a difference between using a gear to keep up with traffic, and choosing a gear that will allow more agile acceleration if the opportunity is found. But I find that from 1200-1300 rpm the engine is remarkably repsponsive.

I've only got just over 1000 miles on the clock, but no way does it feel like it could ever hold 30mph in 4th...

I find that I won't change up unless I've got >2200rpm in the current gear, which tends to be about 1500rpm in the next gear up; anything less than 1500rpm and the engine feels like its on the edge of stalling. Can't imagine there being anything mechanically wrong though, as I'm getting a good 37mpg. Does anyone know if any of the software updates have done any major remapping of the ECU?

Post #3579 4th Jun 2007 8:09 pm
avtur

AndyP wrote:
I think LR got suckered into making the headline fuel consumption figures with the 6th gear which is an overdrive. I would have much prefered a much lower optional 1st gear (i.e. normal 1st is what it is now , but there is a gated 'super low' for off road , and dealing with heavy trailers etc)

I know where you are coming from, though I would suggest that they have put 1st slightly lower than 'normal' (it is lower than reverse for example) but would agree that from an 'off-road' perspective they could have gone lower in the manual box. Interesting to note that the ratio for first on the auto box is notabley lower than the manual, (3.750 vs, 4.148) and with a torque converter on top of that no wonder most people agree the auto is hte better off roader. Though all other ratios are exactly the same for both boxes.

Post #3584 4th Jun 2007 9:17 pm
avtur

NightFox wrote:
avtur wrote:
Night fox,

I've only got just over 1000 miles on the clock, but no way does it feel like it could ever hold 30mph in 4th...

I find that I won't change up unless I've got >2200rpm in the current gear, which tends to be about 1500rpm in the next gear up; anything less than 1500rpm and the engine feels like its on the edge of stalling. Can't imagine there being anything mechanically wrong though, as I'm getting a good 37mpg. Does anyone know if any of the software updates have done any major remapping of the ECU?

Mine is a very early car, delivered first week Jan, to date no ECU updates. I can drive all day at way less than 2200rpm and the engine keeps pulling. As I've noted on another thread it will happily climb a 1 in 4 gradient (in 1st gear) at tick-over with over 500kgs in the car. my impression is that the engine is terrific at low speed.

Post #3585 4th Jun 2007 9:24 pm
NightFox

avtur wrote:
Mine is a very early car, delivered first week Jan, to date no ECU updates. I can drive all day at way less than 2200rpm and the engine keeps pulling. As I've noted on another thread it will happily climb a 1 in 4 gradient (in 1st gear) at tick-over with over 500kgs in the car. my impression is that the engine is terrific at low speed.

Maybe I just need convincing that the engine is happy below 1500rpm. Guess I need a trip to a dealer and either a drive in another TD4 or someone to drive mine and tell me I'm wrong. Or maybe I need to lay off the pies?

Post #3586 4th Jun 2007 9:31 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I'm not a engineer and don't know much about the operation of engines at their best revs/power/torque for econonmy or performance but to me the best revs economy for any given gear is where it is on point of the maximum torque so you let the engine do it's thing without stressing it. The torque curve for the F2 flattens out at about 1900/2000 rpm which should be the best revs to keep it at for performance and econony in any gear How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #3596 5th Jun 2007 11:06 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Nightfox, the posts you were talking about were by BN and explained that keeping the car around its maximum torque gave best fuel economy, on my D3 that means 2000 revs and the gear box learns your style of changing. I haven't had much of a drive of the Fl2 (wife won't let me Big Cry ) but I expect it will be similar. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #3598 5th Jun 2007 3:07 pm
NightFox

pelyma wrote:
Nightfox, the posts you were talking about were by BN and explained that keeping the car around its maximum torque gave best fuel economy, on my D3 that means 2000 revs and the gear box learns your style of changing. I haven't had much of a drive of the Fl2 (wife won't let me Big Cry ) but I expect it will be similar.

Ah yes, BN, that's the chap. Thanks. It's a pity that 2000rpm doesn't coincide with an "urban cruising" speed of either 30 or 40mph, it tends to be either 1750 or 2250, depending which way you go with the gears.

Having said all that, tried driving 30mph in 4th this morning and it felt a lot better, so I guess the engine must have eased up a bit over the last couple of hundred miles without me noticing.

Post #3599 5th Jun 2007 4:07 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Read the threads..... tried the gears out.......no problems that I have noticed and sat ticking over at 32mph in 6th!!! 900rpm..no engine strain... quite happy Thumbs Up .... got to an incline dropped into 4th and pulled away fine. I have found as long as you do not expect a miracle from the car they do great...literally they will 'tick over' in any gear as long as the engine is not under strain. If you are being unrealistic don't complain. My gear box is a dream whether driving like Miss Daisy or Mr Schumacher Laughing Laughing

Post #3615 5th Jun 2007 8:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1