Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which Phone Should I Buy -to get best Bluetooth integration?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Grumpy

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Izmir Blue

Been there and done it - Blackberry only partially compatible. Other Sony Ericisson not even seen. Chekced Land Rover web site and following advice bought a Sony Ericsson C902 - 100% reliable connection.

Do be aware that there are chassis numbers inn volved in compatibility also some phone software upgrades can stop the pairing process

Cheers

Banging Head

Grumpy Grumpy

Post #60278 19th Feb 2010 4:38 pm
Lamby2010

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi All...I'm new to this Forum so please bear with me.

Just picked up my 2010 Freelander 2 and also want to find a compatible phone for the Bluetooth. VIN says that the Blackberry Curve 8520 is fully compatible and gives a version. V.4.6.1.290 (platform 4.2.0.124)

Does anyone know if I buy one on contract now will the version be different to the above? If so could that cause compatability problems. Don't want to sign up for a 24 month contract and the phone still not work.

My current Sony T303 will link up but then gets stuck on loading up the phone book. Plus when I try and dial out it just says please wait and there is no audio in the car so obviously not compatible. When I went into T-mobile before I collected the car they said it would probably be ok as a lot of high end car brands bluetooth testing is very out of date.

My concern is that if the testing is out of date how do the phones on the list relate to the versions available to buy now?

Sorry to be a dumb blonde but this is my first bluetooth experience and I just want to get it right. Embarassed

Many thanks for any help.

Post #62406 5th Mar 2010 11:38 am
rlgillyon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I think there are black magics that decide whether some phones pair up OK - my iphone works well except for quality issues sometimes (but it does always pair). Some phones i have tried refused (and when i was doing this none of the phones i tried inc the phone were supposed to be supported).

My advice is go wild and get your car to a phone shop (with parking outside!), and get one of the (spotty youths) assistants to try pairing them up - on the car it is v straightforward (i think you just hit the phone button and follow the instructions). If nothing else it will be funny trying to persuade them to walk out side and do something helpful!

Post #62428 5th Mar 2010 4:08 pm
Lamby2010

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for replying rlgillyon...Took your advice and have just got back from Phones 4 U.

Superb service....they suggested the 5 min walk back to the car and tested the Blackberry 8520. All worked well and they paired up the phone for me there and then !! Thumbs Up

Phone book loaded up and away we went. Incoming and outgoing calls perfect with a superb quality audio.

Instant connection to the Freelander on entry.

Bonus was getting the phone in limited edition white.

After all my googling to try and get some answers I hope this entry helps others in the future.

As you say its all a bit hit and miss but got there in the end !!!!! Mr. Green

Post #62438 5th Mar 2010 5:52 pm
Kershaw 39

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey

My iphone 3GS worked first time, all the features work and you can use it as an ipod through the input, sounds great. The phone is top but has never been much for battery life due to all its features. Mine has connected every time even when its in my bag in the boot.

Post #62454 5th Mar 2010 7:59 pm
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

How can you say that the iPhone is a 'poor' phone!
OK the battery life could be better but just look at what it is doing and can do - I am considering dumping my laptop because the iPhone can do it all.
Have just collected my wife's first Feelander (07 SE) and both her 3G and my 3GS paired quickly and are a dream to use - a match made in heaven. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #62764 7th Mar 2010 10:04 pm
vectis

United Kingdom 

Just got an HTC Desire this week on Vodafone and it paired up straight away, all working fine.

Post #68057 8th May 2010 2:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pfjths

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

You are lucky with the HTC Desire as it seems like all the Windows based HTC smart phones do not use the Microsoft Bluetooth stack and have great problems staying connected and when you do get them there most of the functionallity has to be turned off. If anybody needs the registery hacks to make them work PM me!

Post #68062 8th May 2010 3:23 pm
athelstan

Very Happy My experience was that my "Blackberry 8520 Curve" connected with the FL2 with absolutely no problems first time of asking, and, the whole process took less than 5 minutes. Including transfer of phonebook. Very Happy

Post #68077 8th May 2010 7:58 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The Road Toad wrote:
How can you say that the iPhone is a 'poor' phone!
OK the battery life could be better but just look at what it is doing and can do - I am considering dumping my laptop because the iPhone can do it all.
Have just collected my wife's first Feelander (07 SE) and both her 3G and my 3GS paired quickly and are a dream to use - a match made in heaven.

SHMBO and I both have 3gs phones, worst phone we have ever had, 19 months left on contracts, gone back to Sony 800i. As a gadget absolutely brilliant, as a phone (or camera) it's a chocolate fire guard.
Pairs with the car, not a problem, batterty life for me not an issue as I charge it for 3 hours a day travelling to and from work, but hers is permenantly either flat, or on charge upstairs where she forgot it. - battery life <30 hours, with <2 hours use.

Tried them both on edge and 3G, only place you can get a signal is conservatory, same O2 SIM card in Sony gets minimum 3 bars thoughout the house. Been back to apple, customer service makes LR look good, "yea 3G doesn't work in here either", "I know battery life is poor but if you turn off all the functions is should be acceptable".
I pointed out that
A) all unnessesary functions were turned off on her phone as she doesn't know how to use them eg position, wireless, even tried turning off 3G.
B) whats the point of having the functions if you have to go into the setup to enable them every time you use them and then disable them when you have finished.
Youngster behind the counter couldn't understand what was so difficult about that Shocked

SWMBO has gone back to using the landline, and just given up with the hit and miss pairing with the Parrot kit in her car. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #68089 9th May 2010 8:17 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you want decent battery life, get a Nokia 6230 (or its current equivalent) I have an iphone, battery life is acceptable. That is it will last a day, but then it has a colour screen, uses push notification to sync with exchange server, and all those things sap power. (I had a HP Windows mobile device with GPS and push notification, trust me, like for like the battery life on the iphone is fine) The 6230 that I have lasted a 7 day trip in China and wasn't turned off. But then, it is a phone.... and nothing else...

So if you want a Music player, GPS, Email, internet, phone thing, get an iphone. They aren't the best, I think the new HTC gets that award. The after service is fantastic, and they, erm, work....

If you want a phone with a long battery life. Get the most basic phone with bluetooth that is compatible. It will last forever.... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #68106 9th May 2010 4:54 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Hi all my HTC touch pro2 is a pain with the FL's phone system. It connects fine but then will not work, i cant use the stearing wheel buttons to make or answer a call. when i use the number keypad on the stereo to dail out, it will make the call ( but no sound through the cars system) and then just cuts off after about 2 seconds. All the time it says the phone is connected. I have had it working twice in 3 months. FL'S been to dealer who states the cars system is fine and had it working with two differant phones. My software on the phone is listed as being a match on land rovers web site so god knows whats going on with it. As for the phone itself its ok but dont think i will have another HTC. cant beat Nokia.

Post #68292 12th May 2010 1:14 am
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

My iPhone 3GS (v3.1.3) is instantly recognised when entering the car, as ling as Bluetooth is enabled, and I have had no problems whatsoever, as for battery life, keep a Griffin 12V charger in the car for those lengthy journeys, and battery life is no longer an issue. Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #68296 12th May 2010 9:04 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

Oscr wrote:
My iPhone 3GS (v3.1.3) is instantly recognised when entering the car, as ling as Bluetooth is enabled

I particularly like this feature as my previous Samsung I had to confirm connection with the car, and within a certain period of time too (5secs?), otherwise, you had to manual connect it. Phil

Post #68298 12th May 2010 9:45 am
ykslad

I'm having terrible problems with a HTC Desire, it worked for a while but now it doesn't. Stupid thing is it connects to headsets and my mate’s Bluetooth satnav fine.

Nokia's are usually OK, although not all funtions may work and many Sony’s are great.

Post #68492 14th May 2010 2:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>