Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 3rd Service soon... Are LR Dealer services really necessary?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tamboradave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame
3rd Service soon... Are LR Dealer services really necessary?

Hello all....

Question... My FL2 is due for it's 3rd service soon and it's warranty runs out on the 19th March.

Should I take it to a proper LR dealer and pay the high prices, or should I take it to a local dealer (not LR) where the price would be much cheaper?

The cheapest price from LR I have is £325 from Fews in Wootton-Under-Edge.. Stratstone in Cheltenham wanted £420, so they can stick it!

Flippin eck, I have it all coming up soon... MOT, Tax, Service and I reckon 4 new tyres very soon! Big Cry

Thoughts please..

Cheers,

David

Post #59160 11th Feb 2010 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freely2sport

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Santorini Black

Hmm - always a tough one. I think with common vehicles I'd pay less and get it done elsewhere because they'll have as much experience as the dealers (ie ford focus), but then if you do plan to sell it the buyer will probably prefer dealer service stamps?

Whether the FL2 is considered common I don't know. I guess most on the road are in warranty and so any problems they get returned to dealers meaning that the local garage won't have as much knowledge of the vehicle compared to LR dealers.

But it's down to money at the end of the day. I know of a couple of garages locally - and so would hope they're all over the place - that deal solely with 4x4 and land rovers, so they might be worth a try as will be competitive but also have better product knowledge.

I'm just waffling....... sorry!

Post #59170 11th Feb 2010 4:54 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What's an Inde' going to charge? £200 +/- , so your paying an extra maybe £100 + for a main dealer service, plus any LR service updates and a stamp in the book. Have you used the dealer previously? could you tell him that the warranty runs out soon and to give it a good check over - he'll want to find something as he gets paid by LR to rectify any faults.
I think while it's in warranty I'd use the main dealer for the last time Thumbs Up but your going to get lots of answers to your question Laughing

Post #59174 11th Feb 2010 5:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

give forum sponsor 10forcash a call/email (not a PM) and get a price

he'll give it a good looing over and you can take his findings to a dealer for them to fix

saving money and he'll look over it more than (i think) a dealer might Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #59182 11th Feb 2010 5:59 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I used an independent for my 2nd service they gave me a list of things to rectify under warranty with the main dealer, sorted.

One thing you do need to factor in is the paint warranty inspection needs to be done by the main dealer (should cost £20 or so) 

Post #59290 12th Feb 2010 12:17 am
Tonyrec

United Kingdom 

Team Valley Land Rover charged just over £200 for a 3 year service and gave us a free courtesy car for the day.....................fantastic service and as cheap as chips as they say! Discovery Sport Hse Lux, Santorini Black, Ivory Leather Interior, Factory Privacy Glass, removable tow bar.

Post #60232 19th Feb 2010 11:25 am
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Just had a 3rd service at Guy Salmon Wakefield £239.00, I had a HSE Disco for the day complete with TV in the Sat Nav, not as good a drive as the FL2 though, I could have got the service a little cheaper at an independent garage (not much) but I wanted some warranty work doing. I can't believe the difference in prices charged by LR dealers, I think my service was a good price and certainly cheaper than Audi (my last motor) on servicing. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #60356 19th Feb 2010 8:22 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

I've just had my 3rd service done at an indie- they were great and will certainly use them again. www.rcv.co.uk
£225 all in inc brake fluid change, wash and hoover. Courtesy car would have been available if I had wanted it.
They have LR trained technicians there as well as the computer equipment. The best main dealer quote I had was £340 and that didn't include the brake fluid change. As well as the book stamped I also have the completed check sheet exactly the same as LR do. Job done Very Happy

Post #60375 19th Feb 2010 9:04 pm
Joiner_8

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
3rd warranty service

I've just had my 3rd service carried out by GEMM 4X4 in Larbert and am very pleased with the work and the cost, Morrisons of Stirling were quoting £320.0 and Stratstone of Perth £430.0, I was charged £188.0 including a brake fluid change, the garage is not much to look at but you get value for money.
And the book was stamped. Freelander 2 SD4 hse Lux Loire Blue, side steps and roof rails fitted

Post #63328 12th Mar 2010 5:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1