« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Turbo seal missing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White
Turbo seal missing?

I have just had the two year service done on my car (22.5K) and the dealer told me that a washer/seal between the turbo and the exhaust was missing. They have ordered the part and will take most of the day to fit (fortunastely under warranty). I asked if this was a rare fault and he said they seem to have left it off some cars.

Is there a dealer technical note about this as the dealer did the last service this time last year and clearly didn't pick it up? Or since they replaced the fuel filter were working near the turbo so could see the missing part.

Whislt I am glad he picked it up, I am concerned about the long term consequences of forgetting to fit bits to a car... Sad Sad Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #57694 1st Feb 2010 1:30 pm
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi - have you notice any strange noises such as turbo whine etc as a result of this seal being missing. Did the dealer pick up the problem from just inspection or another related fault?

Thanks would appreciate your feedback as I am still suffering from what the dealer has called turbo whine.

Post #57719 1st Feb 2010 6:51 pm
BFGLR2Man

I have noticed nothing. There has been no increase in any smoke from the exhaust, the fuel economy is the same and I have never heard the turbo unless I am towing and have the window open, when obviously you can here the increased lod the car is under. It should be in for the work in a couple of weeks time, but the dealer said it was fine to drive. I will let you know if the feel of the car chnages once it is repaired Thumbs Up Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #57765 2nd Feb 2010 8:14 am
alex_pescaru

On places like turbo exhaust, or exhaust generally, where temperatures often are above 2-300*C, usually the connection between parts is made without seal/washer - the pieces are processed to have a perfect smooth surface. Or sometime the connection is made on a conical shape.
So, if a seal is used (only on planar connections), it is a thin sheet of soft steel, no more than 0.1-0.2 mm thick to nulify the imperfections of the smooth surfaces.
So in my opinion, either there is no seal, or the seal is there but it couldn't be seen.
As long as there is no leak of exaust gases, why bother?

Post #57766 2nd Feb 2010 8:30 am
BFGLR2Man

Maybe the dealer wants some work! Either way, its no skin of my nose and if anything does fail in the future it might give me some comeback with Landrover. I'll keep you posted Thumbs Up Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #57797 2nd Feb 2010 12:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1