Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Bying used FL2, what to look for?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Bying used FL2, what to look for?

I was browsing thru the forums, but couldn't find a buyers guide, for the lack of a better term.

I'm currently reading all I can find on the FL2, but would like to hear from the experienced forum users and their life with the FL2.

What I am mainly looking for is, reliability-issues, common problems or faults, electronics glitches, mechanical soundness, slipping clutches and anything and everything a first-time FL2-buyer should look for, when buying used.

Oh, and its only the 2.2 TD4 in SE/HSE guise with either gearbox that interests me.

Basically, I need the arguments that can sway me away from a Tiguan, Q5, X3 (ouch) or even an XC60....

PS:
No need to rave about the comfort, superiority of the FL2's fwd, or even styling, I'm with you all on that one, its only quality-issues I'm interested in hearing about.

Thanks.

Very Happy Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Last edited by Oscr on 19th Jan 2010 10:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #55878 19th Jan 2010 4:17 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Our is 100% reliable and fault free from day one with us - MPG average 27.8 in stop start traffic, not sure about motorways as we use the Vogue for journeys Thumbs Up

Our clutch does not slip as we have the auto Thumbs Up

Last edited by The Doc on 19th Jan 2010 5:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #55882 19th Jan 2010 5:07 pm
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've had a few problems with mine, but overall I am more than satisfied. Not sure in things to look for as I got a pre registered car from a dealer with 20 miles on the clock, however, I did make sure the safety recalls had all been done.

I've got a manual and have had not problems with my clutch slipping and I tow a caravan.

I had a serious at a Tiguan and Q5. The things that put me off both of them was the 2.0D engine is not as powerful nor does it have as much torque, the boot space in both of them is slightly smaller than the FL2. Also the ride in them is much more harsh due to stiffer suspension. Another thing for me was towing, the Q5 and Tiguan don't have as high a towing capacity as an FL2.

In terms of driving and build quality, it's not perfect, but it appears to be as good as a friends Tiguan is, and certainly better than a work colleagues X3 is. Their X3 has got a rattle and they can't work out where it is from!!

Post #55888 19th Jan 2010 5:33 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Has never missed a beat.
Went in for service, suggested the air con pump was noisey, changed by the dealer, no hassle, that's the only fault. Thumbs Up

No clutch slip as it's an auto, averaging 29mpg, driven "unsympahetically". Twisted Evil

Take one for an extended test drive (weekend?), they eat motorway miles but still handle well on the twisty bits.

With all expensive 4X4 check for dealer service history, check if underside is damaged.
They can all be VERY expensive to fix, so if damaged or not dealer serviced get some form of discount/warranty.

Post #55889 19th Jan 2010 5:38 pm
Grumpy

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Izmir Blue

Hi

I have a 57 plate td4 manual. Averages 34mpg with 40 possible on 'careful' motorway trips. It's been off road too - a few minor niggles and dealer ok (but expensive). Only persistant bug is the reversing sensor one which is only in wet weather. Way better than my mates Tiguan

Banging Head

Grumpy Grumpy

Post #56087 21st Jan 2010 10:04 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Oscr:
Had ours 2+ years from new - only fault was "DPF-FULL (Diesel Particle Filter) VISIT DEALER", which was fixed same day and in an hour. No other problems at all. Our manual is almost as economical as our old BMW 3-series Touring, but the insurance is far less. Service charges seem a bit pricy compared to what I have owned previously, but then maybe all 4x4 service charges are higher anyway.

The FL2 is a far superior vehicle against all the opposition for driving mountain areas summer and winter and very underrated here in Norway.
In a nutshell - It simply is the best 4x4 vehicle in its class Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #56092 21st Jan 2010 11:00 am
Marvo

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Hi. I have an 08 HSE auto and no real problems except two niggles. First is a rattle which seems to be from the rear roof lining somewhere (to be fair only since the roof rails were fitted) and from the centre consol. Both to be looked at on Monday. Also a 'unique' one where another radio station 'breaks' into radio 4 (only with RDS on) and only in certain locations. Filmed it on mobile to prove to dealer: (http://www.harveypesyk.co.uk/radio.html)

Apart from those couple of niggles the car has been and is great. This is only my second auto, but I love it, well worth considering.

Post #56188 21st Jan 2010 8:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The most common mystery rattle is the plastic trim in front of the rear view mirror . At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #56190 21st Jan 2010 8:54 pm
Marvo

chicken george wrote:
The most common mystery rattle is the plastic trim in front of the rear view mirror .

Thanks, but I tried that and no difference (checked all the rattle threads in the forum and am considering the CD now).

When they first put the rails on I then had a rattle and a vibration from the passengers door at 60-70 as well as the one that seems to come from the back. I was told that there were 'issues with the fixing kit' and a new one was ordered. This seems to have fixed the door issue, but thats all. (I still wonder if it was the fixing kit or if they were not properly installed in the first place, but I'm taking it at face value). As I was still a bit fed up with the rattle I drove it back to the dealer a day or so later, got a technician to come out with me and booked it back in. Fingers crossed for Monday. Rolling Eyes

Post #56196 21st Jan 2010 10:07 pm
Rowy

Bying used FL2, what to look for?

Cars without crome goodies!-Don't do it

Post #56201 21st Jan 2010 10:27 pm
Marvo

chicken george wrote:
The most common mystery rattle is the plastic trim in front of the rear view mirror .

Off Topic Sorry, but just a final one to finish this. I've finally tracked my mystery rattle down to the rear parcel shelf. See what Pentland say about it tomorrow.

Post #56553 24th Jan 2010 1:34 pm
rlgillyon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I bought an FL2 in 2008, and my brother bought a Tiguan 4 months ago (after deciding he liked my FL2 but didn't want exactly the same). Also looked at Q5 and had a drive on an XC60:

- FL2 feels much roomier inside than Tiguan and Q5. Boot is bigger than both.
- Tiguan more plush inside - Q5 even more so. FL2 more functional but still pretty nice.
- XC60 i was very impressed by, similar sat nav system to FL2
- i got an SE but if i had my time again i would have paid the extra and got an HSE for the full leather trim & arm rests

Overall i wanted the 'soul' of the Land Rover (and the actual off road pedigree / ability) - so far the build & reliability is good, but not as good as the VW or Audi, for obvious reasons. Overall this is the happiest i've been with a car (i had a 3 series coupe before that which was great) - because it is well built, reliable and has lots of character, soul & class - in my opinion. Going to the dealer in expensive for services vs other cars as far as i can see (£350 plus for a service i think).

Issues:

- There are sometimes a few rattles - for me the sunroof squeak-rattles a little. Not as nailed down as a german car, but good.
- Parking sensors just decided to be a bit iffy (it's an 07), 60 seconds after the warranty ended
- Trip computer reset itself randomly about 5 times in total so far
- Some sensor involved in starting the car failed once, fixed under warranty.

I would def buy another one, assuming i can't afford a D4 when the time comes. I've got 61K on the clock now.

Post #56554 24th Jan 2010 2:07 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

There is nothing major I can assure you. Ive had the rear parking sensor issue and an opening boot catch due to water ingress. My brake servo doesnt give consistant performance so thats being changed not really as its a huge problem but its under warranty so why not. Thumbs Up

Mileage I do short twice daily 9 mile runs usually get 33mpg as an average.

Get her warmed up on a run and 37 is easily achievable.

Mines a 08 gs manual by the way. Thumbs Up

Post #56583 24th Jan 2010 6:47 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Have a good look underneath and in the engine bay to make sure it hasn't been abused* off road.

Especially ckeck on silver ones as LR use them on the LR experience, and you don’t want one of those now do you?

*Abused not used before you all start moaning Wink

Post #56587 24th Jan 2010 6:51 pm
Oscr

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Thanks for all the posts, guys. Unfortunately here in Norway, the FL2s are few and far between so finding a good one with both a realistic price and relatively low mileage, seems to be a difficult task.

Paying premium price just because the car has Satnav and/or roofrails is out of the question, but some people seem to think that it means that just their vehicle is worth a lot more just because of it.

So the search continues...

AndyC: What excactly is the going rate in Norway for a full 24kkm service? Leopard tank drivers never stop at anything.

2007 TD4 HSE Moon Roof Ebony Leather Navi...

Post #56757 25th Jan 2010 9:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>