Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Snow...blessing for wannabe LR owner!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FirstKnight

England 
Snow...blessing for wannabe LR owner!

Hello everyone Very Happy

As my subject implies, this snow lately has proven to be my perfect excuse for 4x4 ownership - and if I am to get a 4x4 I will consider no other vehicle than a Land Rover.

The reason I have not had one sooner is because my wife has always disliked them as family transport. My Dad lives in Durban, South Africa and we visit every other year and use his LR Disco 3 (he has a Disco 4 on order that we'll 'test' for him in the bush later this year Very Happy ) She see's the point of his LR because he uses it off-road frequently when holidaying to various Nature Reserves, Mozambique etc.

However, this winter has changed her mind and she is now actively encouraging me to get a 4x4! We live in a hilly locale in Buckinghamshire and have been unable to use our cars for days - we are both serial BMW owners, rear wheel drive without winter tyres is a no go.

My wife also wants to down-size her car - literally - from a 325i Touring to a Mini Cooper S which means I have to get a practical family vehicle; I currently drive a Z4M Roadster, which is rapid and great fun in summer but not particularly practical and not ideal for my work commuting.

My first thoughts were to go for a Disco 3 as I think my Dad's car is fantastic but my wife wants me to get something that will fit in our garage alongside hers and not be too overbearing in terms of presence - so she prefers the LR Freelander 2 and I must admit, it looks the best to me anyway. But my big question to the Forum is....aesthetics aside...just how well does it perform?

I'm not too interested in fuel economy - my Z4M only gets 23 mpg so it's gotta be better than that - but I would want it to be capable - very capable - off-road and in snow. I would be looking at the HSE as I like my toys.

Cheers,
Stu

Post #55490 16th Jan 2010 9:55 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Snow problem. Whistle
Just got mine and found it brill in the snow and also very practical. Thumbs Up Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #55492 16th Jan 2010 10:04 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I have only had mine around 6 weeks & it was brill in the snow & if you see my thread about my Landrover Experience Day & you go on one of these I think you & your wife will put the order for a new FL2 as soon as you leave the course.
When I was on the course I asked the instructor (as BMW raped LR for it's technology if any thing like the X5 would manage this course with no biased decision & his answer was no. Didn't even need to ask about the BMW X6 as that won't even pull on wet grass lol Rolling with laughter (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #55495 16th Jan 2010 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Allan

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Stu

Which part of 'Hilly Bucks' are you in. I live in Chesham, with hills all around and it has been great driving about whilst others slip and slide? You will enjoy a Freelander all year, but particullarly in this weather. 2009 Grey HSE Auto
Gone;
2006 Black FL2 SE manual
2007 Silver FL2 GS commercial manual.

Post #55526 17th Jan 2010 9:08 am
FirstKnight

England 

Allan wrote:
Stu

Which part of 'Hilly Bucks' are you in. I live in Chesham, with hills all around and it has been great driving about whilst others slip and slide? You will enjoy a Freelander all year, but particullarly in this weather.

Hi Allan,

I live on the edge of High Wycombe, just down the road from West Wycombe.

Before Christmas I had to leave my car in Amersham and got a lift with a gentleman who drove a Disco 3 to Beaconsfield from where I got a train home. That was a worrying night because my wife had to abandon her car as well and I felt helpless not being able to go and collect her! Since then our cars have spent most of the time locked away in the garage because they couldn't get up the hill at the end of our road.

Come summer and my roadster will feel like the car to be in and the severe weather we have just had might not be seen for years to come but since I've been wanting a 4x4 for some time now, this has afforded me the perfect opportunity to justify getting one for its all-round abilities.

I'll miss the 343 bhp and 4.9 sec 0-62 acceleration of my BMW but then a 4x4 is a completely different driving experience and not about speed at all - whenever I've driven a Disco I've enjoyed it. That said, I would like to hear that a Freelander corners slightly better than the Disco!

Last edited by FirstKnight on 17th Jan 2010 9:37 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #55527 17th Jan 2010 9:30 am
FirstKnight

England 

Executive Valeter wrote:
I have only had mine around 6 weeks & it was brill in the snow & if you see my thread about my Landrover Experience Day & you go on one of these I think you & your wife will put the order for a new FL2 as soon as you leave the course.
When I was on the course I asked the instructor (as BMW raped LR for it's technology if any thing like the X5 would manage this course with no biased decision & his answer was no. Didn't even need to ask about the BMW X6 as that won't even pull on wet grass lol Rolling with laughter

I have a neighbour with an X5 (I'm not a fan of the X-series) and she was complaining that it wasn't wonderful in the recent snow albeit is did get her around.

This may just be an image thing but I've always associated Land Rover's and Toyota Land Cruisers as being the true 'proper' 4x4's and all the rest are merely SUV 4X4 wannabe's. I guess this comes from the 24 years I spent in South Africa and holiday's to Kenya where these brands are held in high esteem for their off-road abilities.

Post #55528 17th Jan 2010 9:36 am
Lookers Park Royal

Jump on the M40 and come and drive a FL2 / D3 back-to-back. I sometimes commute via Saunderton..... should only take 20 mins from West Wycombe.

Give Matthew or Jeremy a call and they'll arrange a time with you - 0208 992 2299.

James Thumbs Up

Post #55529 17th Jan 2010 10:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

FirstKnight wrote:
I have a neighbour with an X5 (I'm not a fan of the X-series) and she was complaining that it wasn't wonderful in the recent snow albeit is did get her around.

The X5 is a pretend 4X4. It's a Chelsea tractor and not in the same class as any Land Rover. It'll probably have extra-wide low profile summer tyres on it too Rolling Eyes

You will not regret buying an FL2

Post #55542 17th Jan 2010 11:17 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

A work colleague recently traded in his RRS for a top of the range BMW X6 - he couldnt get to work last week coz of the snow, apparently is was useless on it, no grip and sliding everywhere!! wishes he kept to Land Rover now!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #55565 17th Jan 2010 1:23 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Freelander sounds like a better option by the sounds of things...BMW 4x4's completely miss the point, even on road in my opinion, and I used to be employed by them! You will miss your Z4, but if you can persuade the missus to get a cooper works s, then that will nearly make up for not having the Z4! Thumbs Up

I've been through the peak district, over the tops when they were closed, through derbyshire towing out other non-LR 4x4's in our Freelander, sometimes in foot-deep snow and it seriously just laughs at it all. I have some pics I'll get put up. The only thing that stopped me was the FL1 that came steaming the other way on my side of the road! Just remember if you're new to 4x4 snow driving...whilst 4 wheel drive helps with traction...it won't stop with the increased efficiency as it gets going...something a lot of people don't understand. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #55575 17th Jan 2010 2:42 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

BMW's have 4x4 fitted for handling not "off-roading" as they simply can't go off road.

In short there not 4x4's in the same way an Audi quattro isn't.

Freelanders are well designed with a premium feel cabin, well built, attractive, safe, good on fuel and have low runing & purchase costs for a capable 4x4

IMHO of course Thumbs Up

Post #55582 17th Jan 2010 4:33 pm
ad210358

England 

Lookers Park Royal wrote:
Jump on the M40 and come and drive a FL2 / D3 back-to-back. I sometimes commute via Saunderton..... should only take 20 mins from West Wycombe.

Give Matthew or Jeremy a call and they'll arrange a time with you - 0208 992 2299.

James Thumbs Up

Twenty minutes West Wycombe to Park Royal I hope you don't use my Freelander then. Laughing p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #55585 17th Jan 2010 5:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1