Home > General > Help - FL2 or Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Psisos

United Kingdom 
Help - FL2 or Discovery 3

Hi everyone

I am looking for some opinions and advice on a decision between a new freelander HSE or a newish Disco 3 also in HSE spec. I am split on my decision between the two and wonder if others have faced the same decision or owned both vehicles at some point. 

My partner has an 07 SE FL2 which I have driven a fair bit and also in the recent bad weather. I am impressed with the vehicle. It is a great looking vehicle and seems to possess the speed and agility on the road I like. 

At the moment I drive an 07 Jaguar. The decision to switch to change to a 4x4 is two fold:

I have my own business and need to use the vehicle for work purposes -- that is to say I need to transport long items from time to time. At the moment I use the company van as my jag is not suited to that purpose.  

The second reason is the recent weather has hit my business hard. Whilst I appreciate it is not weather we usually see I cannot afford to go through the stress of it again. Even if it doesn't snow for another 3 years it's peace of mind. The vehicle could be used in such cases to allow my fitters to get around. 

So my decision is between the discovery 3 or FL2. 

The disco holds an advantage in flexibility and offers slightly more length although there is little in it. I am taken with the cabin and like the sheer amount of room available. However I am conscious of mpg and here the FL2 beats the v6 diesel disco quite well. 

Whilst the disco drives well it is a big vehicle and there are practical limitations. For example parking. 

I like the FL2 as it seems a little more agile around town where it will spend most of it's life. I am also concerned about the reliability of the disco although I am assured 09 cars have dealt with most of the earlier problems.  

Anyone care to share their thoughts as they would be greatly appreciated. 

Post #55167 13th Jan 2010 11:36 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Reading what you have said, I think you have answered your own question FL2 Very Happy
I had a brand new 04 TD5 Disco for three years, then chopped it in for a new Jag X type premium sport estate, great car, good performance and economy, crap in the snow. At the time the FL2 had just come out, but the auto was not to be for another 6 months, plus there were no deals to had and I wanted to shift the disco because the warranty was about to run out.
Sold the Jag after two years and got the FL2, very happy.
Space wise as a load carrier the D3 really is huge and can take much bigger loads, my mate has a D3.
Performance wise he can't keep up with the FL2 Very Happy
I would guess also the FL2 will hold it's value more than a D3. 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #55171 14th Jan 2010 12:45 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

if you need the extra space go for the Disco as that is the only advantage it has over the FL2.

but it will obviously cost you a lot more to run.

you may even be able to do away with your company van ??

Iain

Post #55183 14th Jan 2010 8:56 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Fl2 will win round town, agility, mpg parking

D3 will win on space without doubt, values might drop a little more than FL2 due to the D4, but then so might the FL2 when it's facelift comes out my2011

if you don't want to use the works van and try use the car what sort of load length are you looking at, as in the fl2 length is not great even with seats folded flat Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #55184 14th Jan 2010 8:57 am
MVS

Will your occasional long/large loads fit on a roof rack or in a roof box?

If so FL2 all the way Wink

Post #55188 14th Jan 2010 9:16 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Fancy coming on a FL2 forum asking if a FL2 is better than a D3, what do you think we are going to say???

Post #55193 14th Jan 2010 10:11 am
Carnoch

I've got both. The FL2 is the wifes car. The Discovery mine. apart from the service costs, excise licence and mpg, the Disco is the better car. It's got plenty of room, holds the road better in poor conditions. It has the air suspension, the low gear ratio, 7 seats, higher ride position etc.

The FL2 is a good car, but if I had to get rid of one.............

Post #55195 14th Jan 2010 10:58 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

MVS wrote:
Will your occasional long/large loads fit on a roof rack or in a roof box?

If so FL2 all the way Wink

or dare i say it a trailer? 

Post #55198 14th Jan 2010 11:04 am
Psisos

United Kingdom 

Thanks to all for your replies --- a truly helpful place.

The lengths I would need to move about vary considerably --- my company make made-to-measure window blinds so sizes can go up to 200" (5 metres) --- however, I do realise that's a roof rack job.

I've worked out the longest AVERAGE length is about 120" (3048mm) - so, typically that is the max size to be transported.

I had thought about the roof rack option but worried about noise...does anyone have a roof rack on their FL2 that can comment on noise when at motorway speeds?

Thanks everyone

Stef

Post #55223 14th Jan 2010 3:27 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Don't have them but it seems that the roof rails don't cause any noise issues, but roof rails plus the cross bars which your going to need? You'll have to wait for further guidence from other members who have this combo.

P.S. Get the Freely Thumbs Up

Post #55237 14th Jan 2010 4:20 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have the roof rails fitted and regualrily use the cross bars and dont find the noise bad at all. My brother has the same car without roof rails and it is a little bit quieter but not an issue at all. The roof rails also dont seem to make much of a difference to the fuel consumption.

My biggest issue with the FL2 is the boot space as well especially when going on holiday with caravan, bikes etc. My car is due for a change in spetember and i am now considering a D4 GS for the extra room. I will test drive one soon to see if it drives better than the D3 which i didn't really like.

Post #55241 14th Jan 2010 4:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have crossbars on all the time, no noise difference Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #55248 14th Jan 2010 5:26 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

shilen wrote:
Fancy coming on a FL2 forum asking if a FL2 is better than a D3, what do you think we are going to say???

Basically the same as they said on the Disco forum I guess Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #55293 14th Jan 2010 9:59 pm
MVS

Depending how many you transport at once would a tube that plumbers keep pipe in help to keep them clean and cut dowm any potential noise, also speed up loading.
If not a roof box used for ski's may be long enough
Try having a gander here;

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Post #55313 15th Jan 2010 9:16 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Have fitted roof bars since getting the car. No noise with roof closed at motorway speeds, very little noise with roof closed at motorway speeds with cross bars fitted.

You will notice some noise at 90mph or above, you will notice some noise with cross bars and roof open.
Below 70mph it doesn't seem to effect fuel economy.
If you travel above 70mph in a FL2 you don't care about fuel economy Twisted Evil

Post #55398 16th Jan 2010 12:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1