« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Gas Pedal Tapping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bruce

United States 2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Gas Pedal Tapping

I just got my LR2 last weekend, and I'm estatic. The vehicle is even better than I thought it would be. By blind luck, the dealer had the exact one I wanted on the lot the day I walked in -- a beautiful tambora flame paint job with black interior, fully loaded.

Anyways, I haven't had a problem with anything yet. Everything works perfectly. No squeaks or squeals -- just perfect. Except the back right rear speaker (the one in the very back) vibrates very irritatingly on some frequencies. I'm going in next weekend to get it checked out while I get some floor mats. (By the way, if anyone wants to address fixing this issue, please do!)

I do have a concern though: whenever I start it up and put it into drive, I feel a strange tapping on the gas pedal as I accelerate out of first gear. It only happens immediately as I start into drive, and it doesn't happen after that again until I restart the vehicle. Usually it happens during or immediately following the doors auto-lock function when the car is in motion. Also, sometimes it doesn't happen, and it usually doesn't happen after I've reversed pretty quickly. It happening or not after reverse seems to depend on how fast I reverse. This hasn't caused a problem or anything, I'm just concerned with it is all. It seems like it's a routine thing since it happens systematically and doesn't change in feel every successive time it happens.

Any thoughts? It seems electronic, but since I know jack about engines and autos in general, it just has me slightly nervous. I was going to ask the dealer when I brought it in next week but just couldn't wait to get some advice from you pros! Plus my friend, who knows a good deal about cars, drove it and tested to see what I was talking about, and he seemed to think that since it's systematic and it's not a grinding but a tapping (and also since it happens just about the same time as the doors auto-lock) he figures it's just something the vehicle does every time upon driving out of first gear. I was thinking maybe it's the transmission activating as it switches to second gear (but I'm mostly thinking I have no idea of what I'm talking about).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. My father, who is a hardcore Lexus and Toyota loyalist, tried to convince me to purchase a Lexus. He said anything but Land Rover because of their iffy reliability records. Now he says he's jealous of my LR2! This is one hell of a vehicle!

Post #3385 25th May 2007 9:59 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Bruce,
I think same think happens on mine too. I mostly feel it on the brake pedal, but I think that's because I drive off a downgrade. It is even audible on mine. Something to do with the hydraulics I guess. Didn't think of it as sth alarming either, so disregarded it.

Post #3388 25th May 2007 10:16 am
EM

Russia 

I feel it also precisely on brake pedal when switching from P to D and keep stay.
My first car with auto and I still try to understand how to manage car by one leg Wink mean gear shift program map change by "pinging" gas in different drive conditions and found at least 3 different maps applied to D mode depend on how "sharp" or "gentle" you drive.

I can be wrong, but I think this is result of gear selection during startup, because of in
D mode car can start both from first and second gear depend on program map "learned" from you.
In first move this can be switch result either from first to second or back.

Just guess. Freelander 2 HSE i6 Tonga Green

Post #3392 25th May 2007 11:41 am
bird

United States 2007 LR2 i6 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I have the same thing going on. It is two short vibrations in the gas pedal. I first thought it was like my 04 Disco and the ABS system doing it's self checks, but the gas pedal has nothing to do with the brakes. I am thinking it might be something to do with the fuel pump. It might be the pump drawing in some fuel after start up. So far no problems with it yet. will have to ask the dealership some day.

Post #3459 29th May 2007 7:14 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I can`t believe that the accelerator pedal is connected to anything other than the ECU, by wires, so vibrations or tapping seem strange. Brake pedal will have mechanical connections, so it is normal to get "feedback". Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #3464 29th May 2007 8:27 pm
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have this same tapping whenever the car starts rolling for the first time after start-up. It must be some kind of a calibration issue. Also I have the klicking sound when I put the gear from D to P. I assume this is the sound of the electronic brake engaging? 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #3471 30th May 2007 7:13 am
PT

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I guess this has something to do with the Haldex 4WD and/or aother (electronic) systems.
The same thing has happened to me quite some times driving off road using the terrain response system.
And at the start, the Freelander 2 will always start with 4WD and if not needed switch to 2WD.

Post #3474 30th May 2007 7:59 am
riverr02

United States 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Anyone speak to their dealership about this?

I too have noticed this issue, for the first time yesterday on my < 1 month old LR2. I plan on asking about it at my first service appointment, but that won't be for a while now. I wanted to know if anyone has spoken to their dealership about it and figured out what's causing it. Bit troubling.

Post #5775 25th Aug 2007 6:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1