« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear 12v outlet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nautilus

United States 2009 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Rear 12v outlet

I'm looking to install the Blackberry Bluetooth Audio Gateway in the car for some wire-free audio and wanted to install it near the rear 12v and aux-in outputs, but the power is always on. Is there an easy way to make it switched or will I have to extend a connection off the front 12v outlet?

Thanks!

Post #53562 2nd Jan 2010 7:44 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

You could split off the front socket which is ignition controlled but they would both then use the same fuse. A slightly more advanced option would be to interrupt the +12V to the rear socket with a relay and fire its coil from the front socket. Just make sure to use a 12VDC coil relay with a suitable contact rating. Something like this would be suitable:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37526
If you don't trust yourself to do it safely an auto electrician shouldn't take more than an hour to sort it for you.

Post #53565 2nd Jan 2010 7:56 pm
nautilus

We dont use the front 12v so that might be the simplest option; the car's also due for it's 15k service soon so I may see what the dealership would charge to change the rear...

Post #53567 2nd Jan 2010 8:01 pm
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

There is +12v in a wisp under a glove box that are switching on together a ignition.

Click image to enlarge

It's the thick blue wire. 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #53571 2nd Jan 2010 8:11 pm
nautilus

Well the gateway turned up today and I tested it out indoors - this thing is freakin' awesome!! I've never played with A2DP stuff before but will certainly spend more time on it now.

Both my BB 9700 and my wife's iPhone 3G paired up and played music with no problems; the only pain with the iPhone is that you can't change the volume directly, it has to be done on the speakers/HU, whereas the BB allows you to change it via the handset.

I may do a little write-up after I get it installed and working if people are interested

Post #53612 3rd Jan 2010 12:42 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

nautilus wrote:
Well the gateway turned up today and I tested it out indoors - this thing is freakin' awesome!! I've never played with A2DP stuff before but will certainly spend more time on it now.

Both my BB 9700 and my wife's iPhone 3G paired up and played music with no problems; the only pain with the iPhone is that you can't change the volume directly, it has to be done on the speakers/HU, whereas the BB allows you to change it via the handset.

I may do a little write-up after I get it installed and working if people are interested

Sounds, good please do the write up, I for one would definately be interested. Thumbs Up

Post #53628 3rd Jan 2010 11:30 am
Carnoch

Watch you don't invalidate the warranty. I got stung with a wired in satnav. The dealers said faulty starting was down to that, battery discharge, and then stung me 250 squid bill. I managed to circumvent the satnav wiring so it complied with LR standard without removing it and did get the money back when the fault was traced to a faulty starter button, but I was lucky.

Post #53649 3rd Jan 2010 1:25 pm
nautilus

Carnoch wrote:
Watch you don't invalidate the warranty. I got stung with a wired in satnav. The dealers said faulty starting was down to that, battery discharge, and then stung me 250 squid bill. I managed to circumvent the satnav wiring so it complied with LR standard without removing it and did get the money back when the fault was traced to a faulty starter button, but I was lucky.

Thanks Carnoch - I'll make it as plug and play as I can so it can be easily removed if need be

Post #53667 3rd Jan 2010 3:43 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

pick up a switched supply from the fuse box by the spare wheel, use a male 1/4" spade connector to plug into an unused fuse connector, there's plenty of switched & unswitched power supplies available in there...

Post #53810 4th Jan 2010 6:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1