Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Winter Foibles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
I have OEM wipers and I noticed my reR wiper had frozen and missed parts of the window yesterday and it happened to my fronts today Evil or Very Mad

I guess to have to change yours to the winter anti freezing type?

How did you guess that Rolling with laughter

Most people here fold their wipers out in moist freezing weather so that there is no contact between the screen and the wiper blade. Some also use a screen protector between, but I guess this could get frozen to the screen in severe weather. This is important to remember if parking outside at night or at work for longer periods, but I don't bother when parking in the garage of course as the screen is normally clear and dryish when I put her to bed. Thumbs Up

The most important thing to remember it to turn off the wipers when turning of the engine - easy for a man to learn, but it seems to take a while for the opposite sex to learn. If you restart in freezing weather and the wipers are not turned off you will of course damage your wiper blades. Better to use the screen heaters for several minuets before using the wipers. Thumbs Up

That's all there is too it - My Freely is just over two years old and it still has the original wiper blades fitted. However I will fit new ones in the spring, but intend to use the original ones again for next winter Very Happy 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52918 27th Dec 2009 8:18 am
andyrich

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Winter Foilbles

I read in a response from Tim in Scotland that the owners manual is available in pdf from Land Rover , can anybody please give me any help in finding it. Only had my Freelander since June so finding it's winter capabilities a welcome change from my old Golf !, from heating to roadholding everything seems so good.

Post #53006 28th Dec 2009 1:22 pm
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp A Land Rover owner since 1988

From a 1974 series III to a 12MY XS FL2 with help of a 1995 D1, 1996 D1, 2005 D3, 2007 D3 and a 2009 FL2.

Post #53011 28th Dec 2009 1:44 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I agree that mirrors are prone to freezing up, often caused by snow freezing around the base of the mirror where it swivels. I'm sure the mirror mechanisms on my V70 are out of the same parts bin as the L2 (even if the mirror heads are a different style) the noise they make just the same. However one useful difference on the V70 implementation is that I can disable the mirror folding from an the in car control system (using radio display and phone controls) I really can't see why LR and Volvo don't share the same control system.

I find this control useful in the current weather and also when I have towing mirrors attached where part of the attachment mechanism makes contact with the body work if the mirrors are allowed to fold.

The one LR feature which has not been shared with my V70 is 4WD .... certainly missing that right now Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #54041 6th Jan 2010 10:56 am
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White

TIP: If you lift the wipers up off the windows at night then they don't freeze to the window and cause the strain on the motor Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

PS: My mirrors have never frozen even at -23c Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #54043 6th Jan 2010 11:00 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Never had my mirrors freeze up Thumbs Up - and the only indication to friction is occasionally in summer when they have been dusty after a mountain drive Wink

In winter in freezing weather (like today -15 c ) - never Thumbs Up However if they get covered in snow and that freezes, of course you should remove this before you unlock the car, but common sence should tell anyone that Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #54045 6th Jan 2010 11:06 am
ad210358

England 

Mine have frozen once but that was because of snow that had started to thaw then the tempreture dropped and it froze, since then I just clear the ice off the mirror before I unlock, in a way its like saying if remove the windscreen the wipers would not freeze to them. Smile p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #54048 6th Jan 2010 11:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12