« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Tesco screenwash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Tesco screenwash

-7 here today. wash bottle frozen Evil or Very Mad It defrosted during a trip to harrogate where it is -3, then re-froze as I drove back home. So I tried to add more screenwash to the bottle, and guess what, the concentrated stuff is frozen in its tub , Censored Tesco's Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #52407 19th Dec 2009 1:50 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

That's appalling. Not surprising though given the company's priority of profit with quality a distant 2nd. I'd be interested to know what our northern European associates use?
It was -6C here this morning and virtually everything was frozen up. Only 1 window would wind down, no chance of window wash, wipers frozen to screen. The car even had to crank twice to start. Interestingly, it did it itself - one button press - 3 seconds pause - crank - fired - stopped - cranked - started, all in quick succession. Clever.

Post #52408 19th Dec 2009 2:00 pm
MLEE

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

AndyT wrote:
The car even had to crank twice to start. Interestingly, it did it itself - one button press - 3 seconds pause - crank - fired - stopped - cranked - started, all in quick succession. Clever.

Interesting.
I've always wondered if just holding the engine start button (not actually starting the car) and letting all the ignition lights come on etc. - allows the glow-plugs to get warm as they would do on a normal key-start diesel car. Question

Post #52421 19th Dec 2009 5:16 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Minus 13C here last night - pressed the start button and after ca. 8 seconds Freely fired up. Nothing frozen up at all - windows worked a treat Thumbs Up An hours drive and parked for two hours in minus 14C - and afterwards Freely fired up without any delay Thumbs Up

Just what preperations do you UK guys do (or not do) when winter temperatures arrive Question

During the night it has been between -30 and -40 in a couple of places in southern Norway and I would'nt expect any Freely starting problems there either - worse for the driver I guess Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52424 19th Dec 2009 6:04 pm
AndyC

Re: Tesco screenwash

chicken george wrote:
-7 here today. wash bottle frozen Evil or Very Mad It defrosted during a trip to harrogate where it is -3, then re-froze as I drove back home. So I tried to add more screenwash to the bottle, and guess what, the concentrated stuff is frozen in its tub , Censored Tesco's Evil or Very Mad

If you buy crap - you get crap what more can you expect Thumbs Up
Our windscreen washers NEVER freeze up Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52428 19th Dec 2009 6:16 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

AndyC wrote:

Our windscreen washers NEVER freeze up Thumbs Up

What do you guys use for additives?

Post #52432 19th Dec 2009 6:53 pm
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

AndyC wrote:

Any liquid freezes sometime. 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #52434 19th Dec 2009 7:00 pm
chicken george

the front of the tesco bottle says 'concentrated' yet the back says "for severe weather use undiluted to give protection to -5" Rolling Eyes , fantastic well done tesco. luckily I have a bottle of good stuff too so the water shouldnt freeze again At work
At home

Post #52437 19th Dec 2009 7:36 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
Just what preperations do you UK guys do (or not do) when winter temperatures arrive Question

We really don't get weather like this very often in England, Scotland does but it's affecting us southern softies this time. Laughing

So we don't have a culture of winter car preparation, very few winter tyres are sold in England for example.

What do you do?

Post #52439 19th Dec 2009 8:06 pm
AndyC

AndyT wrote:
AndyC wrote:

What do you guys use for additives?

Well of course Lar is right - any liquid will freeze sometime, but hopefully not where I live Laughing

The normal ready diluted window washer which is used all year round is locally produced and called Blåtind. It is guaranteed down to -15 C.

For extreme winter use we can purchase a concentrated type, which when diluted 33% is good for -18 C and 50% is good for -28 C which is more than adequate for most uses I guess. The concentrated stuff I have is a product just called Volvo Windscreen Washer Fluid (product number 31301249) which may be available in the UK? 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #52440 19th Dec 2009 8:32 pm
chicken george

I once used whisky .on a friends car I was the drunk passenger At work
At home

Post #52441 19th Dec 2009 8:39 pm
AndyC

Martin wrote:
AndyC wrote:

We really don't get weather like this very often in England, Scotland does but it's affecting us southern softies this time. Laughing

So we don't have a culture of winter car preparation, very few winter tyres are sold in England for example.

What do you do?

For a start, we use a silicon liquid which is applied to all rubber seals on doors, boot and also window edges if necessary. This helps stop the doors etc. freezing up. The type I have at the moment is a Turtle Wax product which also stops the rubber drying out, so can also be used anytime.

Also as earlier mentioned, increase the freezing point of the windscreen washer fluid and check the freezing temperature of the anti freeze, adjusting this as necessary. These two points are checked on a LR service here. It is always advisable to have the vehicle serviced just before the winter sets inn and some prefer to have an extra service/check if there normal one is during the summer months.

Winter tyres/wheels are law here, but as earlier mentioned, a very smart thing to have for winter motoring in the UK where you do often get icy/snowy conditions. We can use studded which are better on ice but noisy on asphalt. The newer studless types are extremely good in all conditions, particularly snow (but no good for summer use).

Always have handy some ice-remover for door locks (Lock Oil) - this comes in a handy container for squirting in the keyhole - Not much use for a Freely though I guess.

Never wash the car during winter when the temperature is around freezing, even in a wash hall, unless the car can dry out probably in a WARM insulated garage - anything can freeze up as a result and I have been very surprised sometimes what can freeze up on any vehicle (accelerator linkage for example) Shocked .

Never use the handbrake in freezing weather (or winter) - They do freeze on occasionally and always when you don't want them too - always leave the car in 1st gear when parking as the alternative.

For driving in snow, some lower the tyre pressure - I don't!

There is probably other things real Norwegians could suggest, but on modern vehicles the above is enough in my mind.

Hope this helps Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #52444 19th Dec 2009 9:26 pm
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

There can use a glycerin from chemist's shop instead a silicone. It's an old method.

But do anyone have a problem with freezing a knob of opening tailgate? Water had leaked into it and frozen. The knob haven't pushed. 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #52478 20th Dec 2009 8:44 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

I for one have not experienced a frozen knob problem nor do I wish to.

Do I just apply the glycerin to my knob to prevent it freezing?

Post #52492 20th Dec 2009 10:42 pm
AndyC

lar wrote:
There can use a glycerin from chemist's shop instead a silicone. It's an old method.

But do anyone have a problem with freezing a knob of opening tailgate? Water had leaked into it and frozen. The knob haven't pushed.

Hey Lar, There are a few guys on here that are suffering with a frozen knob, but I bet glycerine wouldn't help them out much Laughing

Seriously - the frozen tailgate problem has been covered earlier on the forum - Cant remember exactly but I think it was a faulty sealing on the lock. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #52493 20th Dec 2009 10:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1