Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rattling dash and continuous parking sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Rattling dash and continuous parking sensors

Firstly: I love the F2 - an absolute revelation over our Defender (which I also love but for different reasons).

However, for a 30k car, there are a couple of rather annoying and intrusive rattles.

I think 1 of these will be a pain to remedy - it sounds like a heat shield or something in the near side dash. It always happens under acceleration (low frequency vibration, I suspect).

The second, comes from the roof console where the sunroof controls are. I think this was caused when the dealer repaired the sunroof controls (although they've put the switches on the wrong way round now as well so tilt slides and slide tilts!).

It's going into the dealer to have them look at both rattles and put the switches on the right way round! Hopefully they'll be able to sort it as I don't really expect a rattle in a 1 yr old 30k car that's done 15k miles. The Defender, on the other hand... Wink

Also: occasionally, the parking sensors run continuously (solid tone) when engaged. I think it's indicating the front sensors as if I'm right on top of something. I first thought it was water or dirt on the front of the sensor but they're clean. Is this something that others have experienced?

Sods law says that it won't happen when the dealer has it Big Cry

Still - love the F2!

Post #50986 26th Nov 2009 12:03 am
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Both your problems are pretty common - in fact, you could be describing mine. Parking sensor issues are often after heavy rain in my case. The rattles come and go. The ones I had in the ceiling opened a can of worms. The dealer used silicon sealant on the pop fasteners to stop it but got some on the sunroof blind. They replaced the blind then got some silicon on the passenger seat. Then the blind stopped retracting so they replaced it again.

One day (when it stops raining) I intend to look at the parking sensors and see if there's an effective way to better seal them from the weather.

Post #50990 26th Nov 2009 12:34 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Rattle from dash area had me beat. Dealer quickly diagnosed as slack glass in interior(driving) mirror. Held glass tight noise gone.
New mirror under warranty not another sound.
Typical dealer though, not in stock,so another 50 mile round trip for something that is a known fault. Why not in stock for a relatively low cost part?? All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #51102 27th Nov 2009 12:36 am
beauchoc

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I recently (post last service) had a 'rattling' noise (which sounded like a flapping bit of foil?? Smile ). Drove me mental we had everything out!!!

I took it back to the Main Dealer and it was quickly diagnosed as;

Now forgive my high jargon technical speak Laughing when they did the Alarm issue thing which they are currently addressing at service they had bent back a metal bit to avoid slicing their hands open and hadnt bent it back properly... As I say terribly technical of me I know Rolling with laughter 'Freddie' FL2 2007 GS, Sumatra Black, Manual
Stable Mate - Alan - 1963 Series 2 SWB V8.

RIP Hugh our 90 - much loved and missed.

Post #51120 27th Nov 2009 10:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1