« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > High Level Brakelight
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
High Level Brakelight

I seem to remmeber this being posted before, but can't find it. I had to replace my high level brakelight bulb the other day and when I put the unit back, it wouldn't seal, which meant water was getting in the boot. It seems as though the seal compresses over time. I took it to the dealers and they put some sealant around it, which is fine intil it needs chenging again and you can't get a proper seal Evil or Very Mad

It's almost as though the unit needs replacing every time you change the bulb. Anyone else had the same problem??

Good ol LR, alwaying letting down an otherwise good product with annoying issues!! Sad Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #49000 19th Oct 2009 6:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i don't think there was a official fix, apart from whatever my dealer did (i presume some sealant gunge or something) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49004 19th Oct 2009 7:08 pm
philsh

npinks wrote:
i don't think there was a official fix, apart from whatever my dealer did (i presume some sealant gunge or something)

Yeah that's what they did on mine. Censored design though and sealing it a second time around could be interesting Confused Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #49005 19th Oct 2009 7:12 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mine seems to have leaked at some time, slight water marks on inside of window, probably while washing. I will probably put a new bulb in while fixing it as the old bulb is sure to fail just after I seal it all with silicon Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #49007 19th Oct 2009 7:40 pm
philsh

chicken george wrote:
Mine seems to have leaked at some time, slight water marks on inside of window, probably while washing. I will probably put a new bulb in while fixing it as the old bulb is sure to fail just after I seal it all with silicon Confused

Good idea CG. I'm a tad concerned as mine is auto and I tend to sit on the brakes more than in a manual! My Dad's 2009MY is the same design, so they obviously haven't learnt!! Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #49008 19th Oct 2009 7:43 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Maybe option would be to put a good quality LED and then seal it. Wondering if anyone tried/managed to get a LED strip installed in the highlevel breaklight? (similar to what you get in RRS) Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #49029 20th Oct 2009 11:14 am
philsh

Udash wrote:
Maybe option would be to put a good quality LED and then seal it. Wondering if anyone tried/managed to get a LED strip installed in the highlevel breaklight? (similar to what you get in RRS)

Yeah good point. A lot of cars use the LED's for the high level lights. In fact a number of them use LED's for all rear lights. Nice and hassle free!! Thumbs Up MAybe they'll appear on the facelifted FL2 next year (or whenever it will be released). Not that it will assist me as I plan to keep this car for a good few years to come Very Happy Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #49039 20th Oct 2009 4:13 pm
ad210358

England 

Udash wrote:
Maybe option would be to put a good quality LED and then seal it. Wondering if anyone tried/managed to get a LED strip installed in the highlevel breaklight? (similar to what you get in RRS)

But would the LED's not fail, I followed a Merc the other day that has the LED strip going across the boot lid and nearl half the LED's were out. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #49046 20th Oct 2009 6:27 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Light emiting Diodes (LED's) do eventually fail over time but they last a lot longer than a normal bulb due to the fact that there is no element inside an LED, it's a PN junction. Either that or a series resistor (if used) will give up the ghost eventually. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #49048 20th Oct 2009 6:42 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

LEDs last lot longer, specially if they are supplied with the correct voltage and most LED manufactors give 100,000 hours, well that's over 10 years.. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #49052 20th Oct 2009 6:58 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Can't understand why they didn't go for the LED light.

Best one I've seen is the Bentley Continental GT, it fills the top of the back window, must be 50 odd LEDs.

I've seen bumper stickers that say keep your distance, but this light is the best way of saying;

"OI!! Censored in the car behind, I've used my brakes, don't you dare drive into the back of me"

Would love one of those, across the top of the FL.

Not that this has happened to me twice, and I've been paranoid about it Whistle

Rich

Post #49068 20th Oct 2009 9:59 pm
philsh

rmbillington wrote:
Best one I've seen is the Bentley Continental GT, it fills the top of the back window, must be 50 odd

I agree Rich. LED is the way forward. They've more or less taken over the torch market and are far more reliable than standard bulbs. I've also seen the Bentley's huge brakelight and you're right it shouts obsenities every time it lights up Bow down Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #49073 20th Oct 2009 10:07 pm
Chris P

Cyprus 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Every time I was washing my car I could see some water drop marks on the inside of the rear window. Then I realise that the high level brake light was a bit loose. I removed it and tried to add another seal over the existing one, but it was too thick to fit back in place. So I compromised with the easy solution of silicon. I hope the bulb will not be burnt soon!

Post #49076 20th Oct 2009 10:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

what about some plumbers mate, never sets water proof etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49077 20th Oct 2009 10:31 pm
philsh

I'm just gonna buy a new car every time the bulb fails - it's far easier Very Happy Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #49088 21st Oct 2009 10:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>