Home > Technical > Creaking interior
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Skelly

Cyprus 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame
Creaking interior

I really love my FL2 TD4GS, but...

I now notice that the interior creaks but I cannot locate where it's coming from, and it is driving me around the bend!!!

When I'm driving it appears to come from the rear passenger door directly behind, but when some one is in the back, they tell me it appears to come from the tail gate or even the roof - it seems to move around! It even 'creaks' some times when stationery with the engine running and will disappear cruising on the highway. Don't get me wrong, the car is very quiet so you have to turn off the stereo to detect it.

Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea where I should look? I would say it comes from the waistline up...

Skelly

Post #3063 14th May 2007 3:48 pm
ledzep

Belgium 

Hello Skelly,

See my previous posts on the Forum. I would describe the creaks as you did only, sometimes they are really loud (seems like a rusty suspension or something), other times the are less noticable for example when it's wet outside). The car is going in for the third time now to look after this problem. First time they put grease on the subframe, second time they demounted the suspension and put grease there to. Did not help until now, I'll have to wait till next Friday evening to see if I'm lucky this time.

Keep the faith

Post #3065 14th May 2007 4:11 pm
snowbren

United States 2007 LR2 TD4 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Hey there...I posted something about this before, as I would hear some kind of "tapping" sound, akin to fingernails tapped on the hood...yet it would come from the left driver's side, either between the doors or somewhere to the rear...definitely sounds more ear-level than down below. The tech guy thought it might be rocks kicked up, but it can happen periodically...faint, but noticable. Anyhow, I brought the car in to make a couple of adjustments and I think they drove it a bit, but of course didn't hear anything! But nothing was loose in that area.

I had mudflaps installed, and they already look loose...I wish they used stronger glue I guess!

How is your LR's interior quality? It's my first Land Rover, and so far I like the ride very much!

Post #3079 15th May 2007 3:12 am
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

For me, it took a long time for the creaks to start sounding. There's a strange noise - like when tapping a very loose guitar string - inside the driver's door when it is closed (I assume this is easy to fix). Now, a cricketing sound inside the same door has emerged whenever I drive on cobblestones. That said, the car is so silent that even the tiniest of sounds are audible. I recently drove a new VW Golf on the highway and it was impossible to talk inside without shouting. Also, the new Freelander is clearly more solid than my previous BMW which went klinkety-klonk whenever I drove over a manhole cover. With the Freelander, even some speed bumps pass without noticing. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #3080 15th May 2007 6:39 am
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

The adjustable seat belt height widget seems to rattle sometimes , if you adjust it to a different position all is well. I have had rattles from this area in other vehicles (Non LR / Ford) each time it was the seat belt adjuster .. needs a grease point!

Post #3081 15th May 2007 8:33 am
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I noticed like a creak sound from the centre console when changing gear or moving about in the seat!!!....finally found it was the seat belt stalk where the buckle is is quite 'rubbery' and this rubs on the the seat creating a small creak

Post #3090 15th May 2007 8:33 pm
Skelly

Thanks for all the interest.

Still annoying me! I tried all the usual places - seat belt adjusters etc - but to no avail. The more I listen, it's as if the glass is creaking or even the door itself, but I've tried opening the window and the door seems to be solid. I assume it's coming from the glass or roof lining area, but pressing all the panels / headlining makes no improvement. It all seems so solidly put together.

Any more ideas much appreciated!

Post #3116 17th May 2007 10:56 am
carlfraz

My sunroof blinds creaked and squeeked occasionally....seems to have stopped now. Sometimes get the suspension'ting or twang'n from the rear, otherwise quiet as the mouse of a church Thumbs Up

Last edited by carlfraz on 23rd May 2007 1:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #3124 17th May 2007 1:35 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There are some creaking sounds from the front right door sometimes in mine too, but minor. Have also got some noise from the seatbelt clipping mechanism 'cause it touches the seat leather somehow and it 'rattles' a bit and only occasionally. Apart from these all is very quiet and pleasent. However I haven't done much off roading yet which could make things worse. Fingers crossed!

Post #3147 18th May 2007 10:16 am
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

QUERCUS wrote:
There's a strange noise - like when tapping a very loose guitar string - inside the driver's door when it is closed. Now, a cricketing sound inside the same door has emerged whenever I drive on cobblestones.

Now the guitar suddenly stopped playing and the crickets stopped cricketing. Car is as silent as it gets. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #3152 18th May 2007 12:31 pm
Skelly

Latest update...

Decided to take out the medical kit, tow rope & triangle from the spare wheel cavity where I was storing them and things have definately improved... but not cured...

Post #3265 22nd May 2007 4:09 pm
robinspain

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Sumatra Black

Mine used to squeak every time my son was in the back seat and he would get shouted at for trying to wind us up.......
turned out to be the seat belt , little bit of WD40 soon did the trick....

Now my sons as quiet as a mouse....

Post #3274 22nd May 2007 6:53 pm
yeomanrycavalry

United States 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame
Re: Creaking interior

We noticed a sound and it turned out to be where the seat belt stalk is rubbing against the pleather or vinyl side of the seat. Readjusted its position and no problems. That is true about the quietness of the interior, it makes every tiny noise stand out such as loose change, keys rattling, etc. We rarely have the radio or music on in order to keep the peace (different tastes in music, etc) and so its always quiet when we're driving unlike me alone in my other car always blasting the CD player. The only noise that bothers me is starting it up. Just sounds wrong (like a 4 cylinder) but it could just be me so use to hearing the loud rumble of a V8 instead.

Post #4192 30th Jun 2007 2:38 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The car is inherently quiet, which means that when one of these 'noises' starts it is all the more noticeable and annoying.

My car has a problem inside the front passenger door; inside the driver's door; and somewhere in the nearside rear three quarters? (nearside rear door or side panels roof lining in around boot). I could really do with someone to drive the car while I sit in different places listening for the noises, but i don't have anyone to call on for this. The chances of getting the dealer to listen and fix the problem is something like zero !!!!

Its bloody annoying, turning up the music volume often works but I shouldn't have to do that !!!

Post #4200 30th Jun 2007 8:04 pm
carlfraz

My passenger seat creaked whenever the wife sat in it, anybody else was fine, just the wife Question Question She took off her underwired bra, flung it out the window, creaking now stopped Embarassed Very Happy Laughing Thumbs Up Trouble is I am always looking for roads with speed humps now Whistle

Seriously though, it has only happened a few times, but I have had a 'weld snapping' noise from the F/O/S area, enough to feel it through the steering wheel at the same time. Last time it happened was last week in Peckham, in stop start traffic.....I was convinced some little 'barsteward' had fired either an air riffle or catapult at the car and it had hit the F/O/S wheel area. Upon inspection no damage, no puncture, but it was a definate 'twang' and jolt. As I say, it has happened a maximum of three times now in seven months Question Question No adverse driving ability, just my paranoya!!

Post #4202 30th Jun 2007 8:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>