Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Spider tuning box ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RST

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Spider tuning box ?

I have a 2009 hse auto fl2.

My question is has anybody on this forum have a Spider Diesel tuning box fitted ? and if so how are you getting along with it ?

The reason i ask, is i have a Spider box from my fl and Spider will take it back and reprogram to suit the fl2.

Cheers Bob

Post #49618 1st Nov 2009 8:07 pm
sparrows

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I have a Spider on mine and the only problem I had was the safety cut in at 3500 revs. I contacted the maker and they advised me to move the adjuster down one peg. This I did and I have no problems at all now. I average 37 mpg running around town and on a long run 42 at high speed. The difference in performance is very noticable as well.

Post #49651 2nd Nov 2009 4:47 am
RST

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Do you have an automatic or a manual gearbox ?

How many miles have you done ?

My Spider box is a automatic adjusting box ie its not user programmable.

Still wondering whether or not to have it programed for the fl2.

Post #49652 2nd Nov 2009 8:27 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Why don't you contact one of the forum sponsors

bell auto services or 10forcash

both do proper retunes not boxes that trick your engine Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49653 2nd Nov 2009 8:50 am
sparrows

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Mines a manual with 20000 miles. The box has been on for about 6000.
To make an adjustment you remove the two screws and slide the board out. Then just move the pins one way or the other for the adjustment that you want. I asked the manufacturer first after I had the problem.

Post #49665 2nd Nov 2009 11:21 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

sparrows wrote:
Mines a manual with 20000 miles. The box has been on for about 6000.
To make an adjustment you remove the two screws and slide the board out. Then just move the pins one way or the other for the adjustment that you want. I asked the manufacturer first after I had the problem.

I would not go near a tuning box, all your doing is using the box to fool the ECU into thinking thre fuel pressure has not been reached and therefore the ECU raises it further.

All box's are the same, Spider, diagnostix, Tunit, DT-UK etc. Your best bet is to get a proper re-map. Re-maps adjust not only fuel pressure, but turbo boost, injector timing whilst keeping everything within the manufacturers safety margins.

I have had Superchips Bluefin on mine for nearly 2 years now and never had an issue, tows even better as well!! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #49857 5th Nov 2009 9:21 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Agree with the tuning box comments Thumbs Up a remap is the way to go Whistle

Post #49862 5th Nov 2009 10:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

What sort if increase in mpg would a torque Tune give? And what's the cost and risk when taking car into dealers for such things as software updates? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49864 5th Nov 2009 10:51 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Average of 10% improvement in fuel economy, if the remap is overwritten by a LR dealer, i'll re-apply the remap FoC for as long as you own the vehicle Thumbs Up

Post #49867 5th Nov 2009 11:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Freelander Owl

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Mav71 wrote:
I would not go near a tuning box, all your doing is using the box to fool the ECU into thinking thre fuel pressure has not been reached and therefore the ECU raises it further.

I dont believe this is true for all tuning boxes, many of the good quality boxes (not £8 eBay ones) actually work in harmony with the ECU, its not a matter of "fooling it"

Post #50100 11th Nov 2009 9:28 pm
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

Bluefin all the way! as you can swap programs from the drivers seat,no dirty fingers.
cheap now too!
done 8000 mls with mine on,lots of extra ummph too!!

Post #50101 11th Nov 2009 9:50 pm
Mav71

npinks wrote:
What sort if increase in mpg would a torque Tune give? And what's the cost and risk when taking car into dealers for such things as software updates?

Contrary to common belief, tuning box's don't often give better mpg. Because of the way they work the trip computer is not accurate and gives the impression you are getting more mpg.

10forcash wrote:
Average of 10% improvement in fuel economy, if the remap is overwritten by a LR dealer, i'll re-apply the remap FoC for as long as you own the vehicle Thumbs Up

Personally, I would say 10% improvement with the re-map maybe a little too much, but for sure when driven normally you will see an improvement. But yes, if the car is over written by the dealer due to a factory software upgrade, the bluefin will re-read the ECU and superchips will re-send you an FOC re-map based on the new factory software.

When towing however, we went to Fareham in October and I reset the trip before we went and saw 26.8 mpg at a steady 60/65mph. This is better than the standard map. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #50137 12th Nov 2009 2:26 pm
Mav71

Freelander Owl wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

I dont believe this is true for all tuning boxes, many of the good quality boxes (not £8 eBay ones) actually work in harmony with the ECU, its not a matter of "fooling it"

Freelander Owl wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

Unfortunatly they are all the same. I have had alot of experience with tuning box's. It is impossible for them to work in harmony with the ECU.

Tuning box's are plugged into the common fuel rail, some also require a separate live feed. All the box's are doing is monitoring the fuel pressure of the rail. They intercept the signal from the ECU and say that the fuel pressure has not been reached, this then makes the ECU tell the fuel pump to increase it's work load.

This is all it does, a tuning box cannot increase boost pressure or injector timing and cannot monitor the amount of inlet air, inlet air tempurature etc.

A decent re-map will alter all these parameters whilst the management system keeps everything in check.

There is a new breed of tuning box that is coming through that also plugs into the turbo boost sensor to increase boost pressure, but these are about the same price as a re-map.

Box's are a crude way of tuning your car. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #50138 12th Nov 2009 2:33 pm
alextankl

Malaysia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

have been using spider tuning box for the past 30,000 km. the performance is obviously noticeable. but if you adjust to the max power, sooner & later your intercooler & turbo hose will crack... same happened to my car... Fans of Land Rover

Post #97752 4th Apr 2011 10:40 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

10forcash wrote:

The thing that stops me going for this sort of thing is the thought "if it's that beneficial and that simple, why doesn't the manufacturer do it to begin with?" Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #97984 6th Apr 2011 2:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>