« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Windscreen wipers stopped working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey
Windscreen wipers stopped working

Why do I always get intermittent faults!

Yesterday wipers decided not to work. No wipe on any of the switch settings, rear wiper working fine. Checked fuse for wipers and rain sensor, no problems here. Still not working this morning, so took it down to dealer and guess what they behaved perfectly! Have booked it in to have a look at on Friday but don't hold up much hope if the fault doesn't replicate itself. They stopped once more during the day then restarted on their own.

It never rains when you want it to!

Anyone else had any experience of similar problem? Why won't they just brake properly!

Regards

Martin 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #48625 12th Oct 2009 8:59 pm
Cerdo

United Arab Emirates 

I had intermittent problems after having a screen replaced, somewhat poorly. Third windscreen was fitted better, and they seem to work fine now. I guess that the sensor wasn't sensing.
Anyone know why you have a facility to adjust the speed of intermittent wipe on the stalk when the auto feature seems to decide the speed on its own? Indus Silver
GS TD4
Private Parts

Post #48650 13th Oct 2009 1:33 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

All Land Rovers have a built in device that makes all faults cure themselves the second your front wheels enter the dealership forecourt. Best kidnap one of their mechanics, sorry technicians, for the day!

Post #48656 13th Oct 2009 4:01 pm
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I think the variable control on intermittant is supposed to alter the sensitivity of the rain sensor, however this is a bit hit and miss, as the amount of water hitting that spot always alters anyway.

Landrovers obviously have self healing properties, but only when on dealers forecourts! Last Freelander 1 had a habit of cutting out for no reason and lights on dash going bananas. After many trips to dealer with it failing to reoccur, even once on the back of a LR assist brake down truck! Replaced ECU (£800- warranty) still no joy. Dealer ran car themselves for a month - still no joy. After 9 months dealer recovered it one morning managed to see fault. Turned out to be a loose earth in the passanger foot well, one twist of a phillips screw driver - job sorted & technician could stop taking Prozac and sleeping pills.

Back to the wipers - My idea is to connect 2 wires to the feed and earth to the wiper motor connections, must be below the front scuttle panel somewhere. Leave the insulated wires accessable in engine bay. Then when fault occurs I can jump out and connect my multimeter to wires to see if motor is getting power or if it is an earth issue. If power is coming through then we know its motor. If there is no power then it becomes increasingly difficult to isolate. Could try same trick with feed into switch / stalk.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for wipers?

Thanks
Msrtin 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #48674 13th Oct 2009 7:59 pm
bigal

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Had the same problem soon after buying the vehicle. Wipers stopped in the park position and would not respond to switches. I found that pressing the wash/wipe button temporarily solved the problem, but 'temporarily' is the operative word! Took the car to the dealer (Rocar Moores in Huddersfield) who 'fixed' the fault which then recurred a few days later. Land Rover Assist took the car back and I had a HSE for the day while the dealer had another go. This time they seem to have actually fixed it permanently (or at least for the last couple of months) but I don't know what the fault was. It was difficult to get the dealer to understand that when the wipers stop working at 70mph on the motorway in a deluge, the fact that the car is still capable of being driven is not an advantage! Always make your words soft and sweet - you never know when you might have to eat them.

Post #49154 22nd Oct 2009 4:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1