Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Anyone retro fitted a DAB tuner?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doc

United Kingdom 
Anyone retro fitted a DAB tuner?

Hi all,

Anyone retro fitted a DAB tuner?

Post #48364 7th Oct 2009 5:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Somebody on here ages ago saying he had to fit a DAB radio to the fl2 as it was missed on a order

when I said no it wasn't possible he PM me saying it was and for a price £400 IIRC he could do it, Told him I wasn't interested as it's too expensive and if he wanted to make commercial post then speak to martin

Said he would get the parts required and post them on the forum to help others

I have spoken with others on this and they still gave the it can't be done answer Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48366 7th Oct 2009 7:15 pm
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Doc,

I thought HSE spec has DAB?

Post #48367 7th Oct 2009 7:17 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Me too Rolling with laughter

Post #48370 7th Oct 2009 7:32 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

It does from the MY2010 models like mine

TBH not worth paying for unless you like 1xtra not in Leeds anyway as most seems to have no reception Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48371 7th Oct 2009 7:34 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Cool and thank you!

Post #48376 7th Oct 2009 9:24 pm
Rowy

You need DAB For 5 live for football as AM is crap

Post #48378 7th Oct 2009 10:00 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
It does from the MY2010 models like mine

TBH not worth paying for unless you like 1xtra not in Leeds anyway as most seems to have no reception

Then there is, possibly, a problem with your radio and/or its antenna..... Leeds is a major urban connurbation and - despite the terrain in areas nearby - should be extremely well covered for DAB by the BBC and other major DAB networks. (The BBC are still improving coverage including a recent new transmitter for the Wharfedale area with more to come).

I'm not impressed by the performance of the standard RDS radio in the FL2, though so perhaps the DAB one will be no better. On the longer journeys I've undertaken, it often seems to refuse to auto tune to the Alternative Frequency and hang on to a poor, weak/multipathy signal instead. I've had to scan up/down to fix it!

Post #48411 8th Oct 2009 12:40 pm
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had a HSE as a courtesy car with the DAB radio in. I was really impressed with it, especially listening to 5 live for the tennis and Grand Prix (had the car in July!). I also thought that in North Staffs the reception of Radio 1 and Radio 2 was better than on FM as well.

It also took me a while to work out how to tune it, the auto tune didn't seem to work very well, I ended up manually searching and saving them.

However, not that much better that I would pay £400 to get it retro fitted

Post #48413 8th Oct 2009 1:13 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I can get the BBC channels on DAB, the standard ones like Radio1, etc aswell as 1Xtra, PlanetRock, Kids Radio

What i was saying, when scrolling through the channels it finds, or when manually searching it comes up with names of stations, then no reception is displayed.

This is the same as in london as I did the same search whilst down there in the car, but found more channels working.

I am out of Leeds City Center, and i do live in a area were they 'say' digital freeview TV are availible, but due to houses and hills, I cant have them, (thats if the DAB singal is along the same lines)

I also agree, switch from DAB Radio1 to Normal Radio1 you do notice a big difference in quality.

I only really listen to Radio1 on DAB or occassionally 1Xtra, not listen to normal radio since having DAB though as there doesn't appear to be a Aire FM DAB station, nor Galaxy that can be picked up out of London

I really can't see the point in listening to 5 Radio cricket or grandprix, or any sport to be honest on the radio, sport is to be watched and not listen to, and i can't be bothered even watching sport nowadays its all Censored

When in the car by myself i listen to the iPhone and the music/audiobooks it holds Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48414 8th Oct 2009 1:38 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

npinks wrote:

I also agree, switch from DAB Radio1 to Normal Radio1 you do notice a big difference in quality.

Same here. My other half bought me one of these last Christmas as she know how much it annoyed me that I couldn't get DAB at the time I bought the car. I fitted in the cubby hole the satnav would go in and it's great. The sound quality of the normal FM radio in the FL2 is diabolical. Even her old 2000 Pug 106 sounded better on FM.

As for retrofitting ithe factory install. I looked into this briefly as did a few others on here and it turns out it's much more than just fitting the module. You need to get that, a number of replacement antennas, some parts that go in the roof of your car around where the satnav antenna is (or would be) and of course lots of new wiring and then convincing the LR dealer to program it in for you which is probably the hardest part! Never mind the cost of all the parts too. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48417 8th Oct 2009 4:08 pm
Frobius

npinks wrote:

when I said no it wasn't possible he PM me saying it was and for a price £400

I'd be really surprised too if someone could do it properly for £400 given the level of work required. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48418 8th Oct 2009 4:09 pm
Pete S.

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Frobius - how does the Pure Highway perform? Have you bought an extra aerial for it? I read somewhere that cars with heated front screens give these units problems.

Post #48777 15th Oct 2009 7:27 pm
Frobius

I find it great. Good quality reception and a million miles better than the standard FM radio in the car. I don't have the heated screen on my FL2 but the antenna that comes with it is a sort of stick on filament thing with a wire that goes to the unit. I stuck mine on the left hand side of the windscreen which might just be outside of the wires of the heated screen. I then ran the wire behind the A pillar trim where the airbag is and in through the glove box to the unit itself. You can buy spare antennas too for other cars for about £20. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48783 15th Oct 2009 8:36 pm
Pete S.

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Cheers for that. I suspect that Father Christmas will be delivering one to our house this year!

Post #48786 15th Oct 2009 9:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1