« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Tyre noise?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Tyre noise?

I've got Goodyear wrangler tyres on the car, (standard 17" wheels), I guess i've put about 1700 miles on the car without an issue but in the last 3/400 miles noticed a bit of a rumble from the back passenger side, sounds a bit like a wheel bearing but on having the tyre checked it was wearing slightly uneven, (by 1mm on the inner edge), and there is a rather large grommet protruding from the centre of the tyre so it's had a puncture repair at some time. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it by changing the tyre? The noise is certainly more noticeable on smoother roads and is there both coasting or in gear.

I'd put the spare on but that's a little low so may not prove anything.

Post #47330 8th Sep 2009 4:56 pm
Dunk

Re: Tyre noise?

Dunk wrote:
I've got Goodyear wrangler tyres on the car, (standard 17" wheels), I guess i've put about 1700 miles on the car without an issue but in the last 3/400 miles noticed a bit of a rumble from the back passenger side, sounds a bit like a wheel bearing but on having the tyre checked it was wearing slightly uneven, (by 1mm on the inner edge), and there is a rather large grommet protruding from the centre of the tyre so it's had a puncture repair at some time. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it by changing the tyre? The noise is certainly more noticeable on smoother roads and is there both coasting or in gear.

I'd put the spare on but that's a little low so may not prove anything.

No one care to mention? has anyone had a wheel bearing start to go then perhaps? The car has nearly 25,000 miles on it BTW and is an '07 model.

Post #47344 8th Sep 2009 11:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

sorry for some reason i missed this

I had a rear near side bearing replaced, it was when i was having problems getting the dealer to adjust the handbrake so it would hold on a slight hill.

One day not long after them fixing it for the 3 time, i noticed a clonk and was getting a whirring noise, i presumed the brake had failed, but they said it was the bearing and replaced it, leaving me with a crap handbrake.

The noise was gone though, it sounded very much like metal rubbing against metal as if the handbrake was catching Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #47345 8th Sep 2009 11:42 pm
lem_jpm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

When I replaced my Continental tyres with Wranglers I noticed an increase in road noise, but coincidentally, around te same time, my rear diff started to pack up and what I thought was ever increasing road/tyre noice was in fact the diff!

Post #47346 9th Sep 2009 8:28 am
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had exactly the same thing when i last changed my tyres, puuting the noise down to new tyres when it was the rear diff that was failing. A week later i then had a gearbox failure, i hope you dont experience the same.

Post #47357 9th Sep 2009 7:31 pm
Dunk

Shocked , hope it's not the diff' even though it's covered under warranty. From the sounds of what you guys are saying I may well have a dealer drive it and let them decide. I did check the rear tyre on the side in question again today and it does seem to be worn unevenly, I guess before letting the dealer loose on it I could swop tyres over from left to right on the back as the noise is definately coming from the one side for sure.

Would a failing diff' generate a noise from only one side, forgive my ignorance on this Confused

Post #47358 9th Sep 2009 7:57 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It doesn't sound the same problem as the rear diff as the noise was coming from both sides on mine. Also the tyre wear on my car was very even. Sounds like a wheel bearing which is what i was always having with my XC90 and lots of uneven rear tyre wear.

Post #47363 9th Sep 2009 9:41 pm
Dunk

another one wrote:
It doesn't sound the same problem as the rear diff as the noise was coming from both sides on mine. Also the tyre wear on my car was very even. Sounds like a wheel bearing which is what i was always having with my XC90 and lots of uneven rear tyre wear.

Thanks AO, may have time to take it in tomorrow, we'll see what they say?!

Post #47376 10th Sep 2009 9:27 pm
Dunk

Went out with a tech' today from TH White Swindon, very helpful indeed he was but suggested I carry on for a while and see if the noise worsens as it'd be difficult to replicate the noise on a ramp which was fair comment. It seemed worse when he wasn't in the car Rolling Eyes , as always.

He could see/feel straight away ref' the gearchange issue and had a young engineer lube up the linkage under the bonnet which done the trick, I now have a much slicker gearchange Thumbs Up

Post #47406 11th Sep 2009 5:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1