29%  [5]
Total Votes: 17

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Hunting with dogs

Driving the tractor the other day sowing some oilseed rape. Me and crazy dog saw a little baby bunny hopping along. The dog was going mad, barking /scratching at the tractor door wanting its dinner Twisted Evil . I was thinking that that rabbit could grow and have hundreds of babies to eat my precious crops.... but its a ickle fluffy bunny Crying or Very sad

What did I do???? Whistle

Post #47096 2nd Sep 2009 3:27 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

You told the dog "NO! BAD DOG!"

Then shot the bunny with a twelve bore....... Whistle

Post #47097 2nd Sep 2009 4:35 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

To be technical that would be exempt hunting as hunting with dogs is illegal, rabbits and rats being the only 2 exemptions. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #47099 2nd Sep 2009 5:06 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Shot the dog and drove over the bunny Evil or Very Mad 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #47101 2nd Sep 2009 5:07 pm
chicken george

I may be possible that crazy dog has caught a few hares in her time (even though she is smaller than the average hare). Should I report her to the police? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #47103 2nd Sep 2009 6:44 pm
pelyma

Yes you should, someone reported themselves as their dog had killed a mouse. The Police won't want to know but IFAW and the RSPCA probably will Laughing D4 HSE Lux for me

Post #47119 3rd Sep 2009 9:33 am
chicken george

I get plenty of the 'hare coursing' scum invading my farm . Nasty bunch they are, apparently some video the chase then show the films in a pub for big money betting. Mainly though they are just using the 'hare coursing' as an excuse to nosey around so they can come back and rob the place later.
The police are getting more helpful and have started arresting them and confiscating their invariably illegal cars.
A local gamekeeper has welded a huge steel bumper on his defender which he uses to 'gently nudge' these cars making them quite difficult to ever drive again Rolling with laughter At work
At home

Post #47123 3rd Sep 2009 10:27 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

wasn't a TV Chef film hare coursing recently?

So from what pelyma said, hunting with dogs is illegal, but its okay to hunt rats and rabbits with them

Why are Hares different? are they an endangered species....? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #47125 3rd Sep 2009 10:48 am
chicken george

allegedly yes they are , but there are loads round here. I like to see hares, noble creatures. and they graze randomly so they don't harm the crops, where as rabbits just all descend on the same patch of crop and strip it to the ground, like an organic lawnmower Evil or Very Mad

Also Mrs G's sister is scared of hares so I like to encourage them to live around the house and along the farm lane Laughing
Oh and if the dog sees a hare and gives chase I dont have to walk it that day as it come back knackered. A little terrier is never going to catch a hare on the run. But it does sneak up behind them sometimes, kills them, leaves them a few days to go smelly then rolls in the mess Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

Post #47126 3rd Sep 2009 10:52 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I only can remember seeing one hare it run out from the field, got 3/4 of the way across the road before thinking sod that and turn round to go back, all as i was slamming the anchors on to avoid it from smashing the front bumper to pieces. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #47127 3rd Sep 2009 11:08 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Hare today, gone tomorrow....... Whistle

Post #47130 3rd Sep 2009 12:09 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I shot this photo earlier this year. Although the fox has two Blue Hares and not rabbits in its mouth, it illustrates why you in the UK have so many bunnies eating all your crops. Stop killing Red Fox's and you will get rid of a lot of bunnies Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #47145 3rd Sep 2009 7:19 pm
chicken george

We have loads of red foxes because there are so many bunnies. Abundant food supply always increases populations.
It is constantly amazing just how much wildlife there is out there, contrary to the 'sterile agricultural wasteland' that the media likes to portray..... from the comfort of their air-condition offices Rolling Eyes .

I like many farmers have added environmental features to my land such as 6 meter wide grass strips around hedges. not cutting hedges every year and only after the bird nesting season etc etc . But the main beneficiary of these efforts seems to be the hated rat Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

Post #47147 3rd Sep 2009 7:49 pm
pelyma

npinks wrote:
wasn't a TV Chef film hare coursing recently?

So from what pelyma said, hunting with dogs is illegal, but its okay to hunt rats and rabbits with them

Why are Hares different? are they an endangered species....?

Clarrissa and Sir Mark Prescott both pleaded guilty. Without boring you all to death what CG is talking about is not Hare Coursing, neither was what Clarrissa was doing. Simply put hare coursing is the test of one dog against another by setting them to chase a hare. It has 2 forms; driven (like pheasant shooting) where hares are herded from surrounding fields to pass the waiting dogs and secondly walked up where you walk fields to find the hares and course them there.

When a hare is found the person who releases the dogs (called a slipper) has to assess the hare is physically fit and not immature or covered in mud, he has to then give the hare due law ( a head start) ranging from 50yds or so for whippets to 100yds plus for greyhounds, he also has to ensure the angle the hare is running at does not favour one dog over another.

At this point the dogs are released from the special collar that holds them both (the slips). At this point the judging begins. Each breed of dog has slightly different scoring but all follow the same principal.

The judge is usually mounted on a horse and will gallop to one side a long way off the dogs and hare so he has a good view and does not head the hare. The hare must not be influenced by anything bar the dogs. The dogs will run up to to the hare and turn it. The dog that gets to the hare first will get points depending on how far it is ahead of the other. Each time a dog turns the hare by more than 90 degrees it scores a point, if it turns it less than that it is called a wrench and scores half a point. The course will usually last 30 to 45 seconds when either the hare is killed (in about 10% of cases at most) or gets away. No points are scored for killing. It is the only field sport that the aim is not to kill.

What CG is talking about is plain poaching. Usually lurchers or longdogs are used. The principal of slipping 2 dogs is the same although sometimes there is single handed versions. The winner is the dog that kills the hare - there is no points system.

What Clarissa was doing was a field trial experiment where muzzled greyhounds chased the hares to a fence that would stop the dogs but allow the hare to slip under where guns could shoot at them (although I understand none were as coursing people do not like hares killed) Unfortunately the Courts decided this was still illegal despite the organizers having sought legal advice and approached the Police.

The sad thing is the day after the bad many coursing estates shot their hares (which numbered 1000s) as the hares became a pest once they couldn't be coursed. None of this has anything to do with animal welfare but class war as it is seen as a preserve of the rich. It has caused the death of thousands of hares and their habitat.

Andy C unfortunately your view miss the point in the UK. The rabbit is an alien specie, the fox predates on many rare species such as the grey partridge, red grouse, wading birds and even ground nesting birds of prey. The UK landscape is almost entirely man made and can support very high numbers of fox, it is also ideal rabbit habitat. We cannot leave things to be, they will not sort themselves. In a man made environment there will be no self regulation, in fact cars kill more foxes than all other methods combined. I have shot them with rifle and shotgun, hunted them with hounds and running dogs, snared them, trapped them, and dug them. For me if I were a fox being hunted would be the preferred method, no wounding risk if I'm fit I get away if I'm not I die. D4 HSE Lux for me

Post #47167 4th Sep 2009 10:26 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the informed responce there Thumbs Up I have heard about hare coursing and never really knew what it was.

I often see foxes running the streets/gardens where I live, which is near nature reserve, fields and woodland, my dad who live up the road also see's the odd Badger too which I have only ever seen in the gutter of a road Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #47169 4th Sep 2009 12:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>