« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Happy chappie!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Happy chappie!

I took the BMW down to the 4x4 dealer today and finalised the deal on the Freelander. I've since drove it about 130 mixed miles and i'm very pleased with it. It's so smooth on the motorway, averaged 38+ mpg overall, drives effortlessly off road, (drove down a rutted farm lane which was terrifying in the BMW Laughing ), has lovely comfy seats and found it better equipped than I thought it was, ie: folding mirrors, aux in, decent radio compared to the awful BMW unit etc. Another trial involved a leggy German Shorthaired Pointer who seemed to have a smile on her face too so Bree gave it the nod too, bless her. The BMW never felt right to me, it was too small, had a harsh ride, creaked/ticked and rattled especially in the winter and i'm glad to be shot of it....don't get me wrong it's fast and was good on fuel but doesn't compare to the Freelander as a vehicle that fits my lifestyle, with hindsight I should of went the FL route late last year but you live and learn.

I've heard horror stories about some LR dealers but they can't possibly be worse than BMW.....can they? we'll see I guess but here's hoping she'll run without a hitch Thumbs Up

Post #46832 24th Aug 2009 5:22 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Congrats Thumbs Up

Post #46833 24th Aug 2009 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Nice one Dunk Thumbs Up

Sounds like your going to miss the Bmw loads Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #46834 24th Aug 2009 5:54 pm
charliefoxtrot999

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Well done.I have been with Volvo estates for the last 18 years and got sick to death of their stealers.
Never wanted the BMW badge nor Audi ,VW nor Merc.I am getting my 2010 FL2 HSE on 01 09 2009 and cant wait!
Will let you know how we get on.... 2010 HSE Galway Green auto GONE

Post #46835 24th Aug 2009 7:37 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

charliefoxtrot999 wrote:

I have been with Volvo estates for the last 18 years and got sick to death of their stealers.

Oooops .... I've just gone the other way (LR2 to a V70) ..... was really peee'd of with my local LR stealer ... but there are plenty here who have found their dealers OK ..... my recent V70 buying experience was the best I've had in 36+ years of motoring .... so far the car has performed faultlessly so on need for dealer support yet ....

Hope your LR stealer is one of the good ones ..... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #46854 25th Aug 2009 7:19 am
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dunk-was it an X3? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #46867 25th Aug 2009 1:59 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

commando wrote:
Dunk-was it an X3?

No C, it was a E91 330D estate....the runflats that were fitted on receipt of car were bodering on, (no, in fact they were), dangerous, the ride quality was very harsh because of them and inspired zero confidence in the cold/wet. Ride quality did improve on fitting conventional tyres but it seemed a compromise and how the car should of been? I experienced lots of tram lining too which would catch you out with the runflats, it really was a truly awful car in the cooler conditions with those tyres fitted. It was quick, it had lots of nice quality touches and exrtas but how it recieved such praise heaped on it generally by the press I will never know. I've heard the X3 has bad ride quality but how it compares I don't know....I was so used to wincing at the sight of bumps i'm suprised I don't have a permanent look of shock etched on my mug Laughing

Re' the dealers, DL Swindon left a dent in the rear and wouldn't cough to it, DL Bristol left dirty fingermarks on the door pillar and footwell after investigating a noise which funnily enough remained and a recent MOT which I decided to wait for and was told would take about 50-90 minuts took 2 1/2 hours without an apology or a reason why. The service guys refused to admit I needed an updated sat nav' disc even though I had confirmation from BMW H/O, they were however were quite keen to relieve me of £149.00 for one though...they were poor generally, the girls on reception were gorgeous and polite, there was plenty of fancy biscuits/coffee and internet access, todays paper?...no problem, the premises were easy on the eye etc. but i'd never bother with them again which is sad as i'd waited so long to own a Beemer only for their service and the strange charecteristics of the car to make it a seriously big let down. I've driven approx' 350 miles in the Freelander now, it's nowhere near as fast, it's not better on fuel, it's manual, it 'aint got leather or sat nav' and it doesn't growl when you put your foot down but I love it and so does everyone else who's had a drive in it Thumbs Up, and so far my seat seems to of stayed at the same height!

Post #46885 25th Aug 2009 11:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1