« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Tires
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Vic Benson

Canada 
Tires

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the purchase of new tires. My 2008 LR2 has 56,000 kms on it and the tires are pooched. Very upsetting!!!!!! The original tires have not lasted very long. I need to purchase a new set of tires. Any reccomendations from anyone.

Vic Benson
Brantford, Ontario, Canada Vic Benson

Post #45505 21st Jul 2009 1:51 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Nearly 35,000 miles is very good for a set of tyres I would have thought?

My fronts are pretty close to minimal after 22,000 miles.

Post #45507 21st Jul 2009 7:26 am
Rowy

Changed my Goodyears M+S at 25K with 3-4mm left, Now done 12k on Conti cross contact and have about 3mm left. The conti's are great road tyres but the Goodyears were miles better on in the snow and off road.

Post #45543 21st Jul 2009 4:58 pm
Vic Benson

Canada 
Tires

I have been researching tires for the LR2 and have come to find out that the original equipment tires do not last very long. I have a Toyota Rav 4 as well and have 106,000 kms on the original Yokohama tires and they still will make it through this winter.

My wife drives the LR2 every day to work and I thought that it would not have been any problem to expect the tires to have lasted longer than the mileage they have on now. We will get 60,000 kms out of the Continentals. I must have been expecting too much???

I had an accura some years ago and the original michelin piolet,s lasted 110,000 kms. I installed new piolet's and they were very loud for some reason. I then installed Bridgestone tires and they were great.

I will more that likely reinstall a set of Continentals. Yokohamas have a good report but they do not seem to make them in my sixe 235/55/R19

Vic Vic Benson

Post #45546 21st Jul 2009 5:28 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Blimey if you are getting 110,000 kms off a set of tyres I wish you would tell me how! Shocked

Are you sure they are not solid rubber tyres? Laughing

Post #45557 21st Jul 2009 6:48 pm
Vic Benson

Canada 

Smooth roads Vic Benson

Post #45559 21st Jul 2009 6:57 pm
comerbuck

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

I just put a set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on my SE 235/60/18 at 31,000 miles (lot of mountain driving) and am very happy with them.

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/suv-crossover/latitude-tour-hp/

Post #45665 23rd Jul 2009 3:33 pm
Vic Benson

Canada 
Tires and Performance

Thanks...."Comerbuck"

I have researched tires and it seems that michelin is one of the top rated tires and has been recommended by one of the tire distributors in my area. My last experience with michelin was not very good. They were very loud on my acura???? They may have been a bad set!!!

In Canada we pay a premium of our products over what you may have paid in the USA. I called the local Landrover dealership and they have give me a price for the "Conti's" that is comparable to the other tires. I may elect to go with the Conti's.

I seems that this site is not very busy as far as comments etc!!!

Is everyone satisfied with the LR2's. I know that my experience with our LR2 is nothing short of "outstanding" so far the machine has exceeded all of my expectations. I had a 04 freelander before the LR2. We were very dissapointed with the freelander. The LR2 is a totally different machine. In my opinion Landrover has finally produced an affordable small machine that lives up to the "Landrover" name.

Vic Vic Benson

Post #45695 23rd Jul 2009 9:48 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Had the misfortune to have a piece of branch go through the sidewall of a Goodyear Wrangler fitted to my Freelander 2 meaning, under Australian law, the tyre cannot be repaired. Goodyear Australia do not have a Wrangler of that size - 235/65R17 - in stock and are not expecting any until early/mid September. The upshot was the purchase of a Michelin Latitude Tour HP which came out as being the best option for me. When the remaining 4 Wranglers are worn out I'll replace them with Michelin, a brand I've always had good results from.
As far as the Freelander is concerned, it's only 6 months old with 14000kms on, my first Land Rover, and purchased after a lot of research and some trepidation, since the previous model has a very bad reputation down here. Am very pleased with my choice and its' ideal balance of on and off road capabilities and comfort. Would certainly recommend it over its' class competition, particularly since it is one of the very few to provide a full size alloy spare wheel - no proper spare equals no sale in my book.

Post #45702 24th Jul 2009 7:28 am
Grumpy

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Izmir Blue

Just gone past 24000 miles - 4mm left on the fronts with over 5 on the rears - original Continentals - I'll change at between 2 & 3 as usual so a bit to go yet. Worth keeping an eye on prices though when I bought the FL2 the continentals were priced at £95 - now over £150 on average. Also noting some of the comments most official advice is to have all 4 tyres of the same make/ pattern.

Banging Head

Grumpy Grumpy

Post #46265 6th Aug 2009 7:36 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

in my experience Michelins have always been the hardest wearing tyre.

my last Disco 2 had done 37000mls on the original Michelins and there was still 4mm left.

my new FL 2 has Pirelli Scorpions? .................anyone else got these ?

Post #46276 7th Aug 2009 9:08 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Michelins are overprice Censored

after having 6 of them in a year at £150 each due to them wearing out too quickly, punctures and a high speed blow out on a new tire

Some of the RRSport chaps have been looking a Hancook(sp?) tires Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #46278 7th Aug 2009 9:45 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

npinks wrote:
Michelins are overprice Censored

after having 6 of them in a year at £150 each due to them wearing out too quickly, punctures and a high speed blow out on a new tire

sounds like you've been unlucky with your Michelins

Post #46280 7th Aug 2009 10:24 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I fitted Hankook's to my A3 good tyres, excellent in the wet , although tyre tests in auto express etc never rate them very well At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #46281 7th Aug 2009 11:15 am
Vic Benson

Canada 
Tires

In Canada we experience extremes in weather conditions. I believe that most Canadian drivers select an all weather tire.

It is difficult to choose the right tire (tyre) for our climate.

On the "tirerack" site you can sleect a tire by the type of tire you prefer. "Comfort" "Handling" "Wear" If I select one of these preferences, the result changes as to the type of tire they suggest.

My choice was Comfort (mostly reduction in noise) if what I would prefer. With this selection they have suggested the "Michelin Latitude". This tire is used on some of the high end SUV's. As I mentioned my last experience with Michelin "Piolets" was not good, they were noisy on my Accura.

The price of the tires in Canada vary greatly. When I started pricing tires. The most expensive were the tires that are on the vehicle right now.

Continentals were starting at $450.00 Canadian dollars. Down to $310.00 at the local dealer and another supplier.
The Michelin "Latitude" comes in at $312.00 down to $298.00.

The average tire price seems to be about $300.00 which seems comparable to the UK prices.

I forgot to mention that the tires on the vehicle I have are the 19 inch. 235/55/R19.

The Pirelli Scorpoins have good ratings on some posts and bad on others. Here we have to be careful and select tires that have some good points during our winter months.

I dont like Goodyears and not to responsive to BF Goodrich.

One tire that has been suggested are the Bridgestone "Bilzzak" which are excellent in the winter, but I believe they wear very fast. When I changed the Michelins on my Accura to standard Bridgestones, I noticed a very prounuced difference in the noise generated. The stones were much better. Big Cry Vic Benson

Post #46282 7th Aug 2009 11:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>