Home > Technical > Gear selector.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mel

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Gear selector.

Hi,
I am new to the FL2 and especially auto boxes, so I have to ask is, does the selector lock on the gear stick lock in all positions or in just some particular positions.

thanks

Post #439854 5th Mar 2024 7:19 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

It's in the handbook

Post #439861 5th Mar 2024 11:15 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Maybe he didn't get a handbook with the car. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #439862 6th Mar 2024 1:36 am
moontan

India 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Re: Gear selector.

Mel wrote:
Hi,
I am new to the FL2 and especially auto boxes, so I have to ask is, does the selector lock on the gear stick lock in all positions or in just some particular positions.

thanks

It locks in all positions except when shifting from N to D and vice versa.

Post #439863 6th Mar 2024 6:40 am
I Like Chips

axle wrote:
Maybe he didn't get a handbook with the car.

True and I did't post a link

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10621.html

Post #439864 6th Mar 2024 8:02 am
Mel

Gear selector.

Thanks you for all the input, the handbook doesn’t give any answer to the question that I can see.
Moontan says it locks in all positions except D to N and vice versa which mine doesn’t. I will go through the selector movements and give some detail as to what it does and does not and some can say whether it is correct or not.

thank you all for your advice, links and patience afterall I am a newbie and old what could be worse ha ha.

Post #439866 6th Mar 2024 10:53 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Only had the car a decade. I don't know. I just put it in D to go forward. Never had any problems & power is more than adequate. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #439867 6th Mar 2024 11:25 am
Mel

Gear selector.

The reason this came about is there were no interlocks between any of the selections which in theory could be bad news, anyway I have fixed the problem but just need to confirm it is correct. I checked out how mine locks now and if anyone can confirm if it is right or not :-

P to R locked
R to N unlocked
N to D unlocked
D to N unlocked
N to R locked
R to P locked

Locked means depress the lever to shift and unlocked means just push the selector without operating the lever. The car is with the enine running and footbrake on, I think it is right and the safety inlocks now work properly.
Your thoughts please.

Post #439870 6th Mar 2024 12:38 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I’d have thought that neutral to drive should be locked as that would make it impossible to knock the gearbox into drive by accident.

Post #439874 6th Mar 2024 4:42 pm
moontan

Re: Gear selector.

Mel wrote:
Thanks you for all the input, the handbook doesn’t give any answer to the question that I can see.
Moontan says it locks in all positions except D to N and vice versa which mine doesn’t. I will go through the selector movements and give some detail as to what it does and does not and some can say whether it is correct or not.

thank you all for your advice, links and patience afterall I am a newbie and old what could be worse ha ha.

If your gear selector moves through all positions without clicking the switch on it, then you definitely have a broken spring in the selector head. Very easy to fix with lots of videos and instructions available online. After replacing the spring, do remember to keep the switch on the gear selector head pressed when fitting it back on the selector lever. You can check if your spring is fine but the switch was not depressed when fitting the head back on in case it was removed for any reason whatsoever earlier. If that switch is not depressed when fitting the head back on, you will experience the same symptoms you have which is the same as if the spring inside is broken.

Post #440082 14th Mar 2024 1:40 pm
I Like Chips

On the back of this post I checked my gear lever and as I guessed the spring had broken so I replaced it, I had a spare bought some time ago. Also had to cut off the cable tie that holds the gaiter to the lever and replaced that too.

It's a 2.5mm cable tie but didn't have the required low head profile one so I just cut a small notch out of the nylon clamp no accommodate the slightly larger head. It's easy to do once you know how and have worked out the action on the metal rod that came out with the lever.

Here is the you tube movie I looked at. At the end of it all looks like my lever is locked in P until I put my foot on the brake, unlocked for all other positions

&t=638s

I have now ordered a new spring, others have used a cut down spring off a ceiling round light unit
https://www.joom.com/en/products/64ec489db5fab901130e04c5

Post #440088 14th Mar 2024 5:09 pm
Mel

I had a spare gear selector and checked the operation against that and all is ok, the gear selector should always be locked in park.
If the selector is only locked in park and the spring is not broken then the gear knob has not been fitted correctly so that the action of the lever is not located properly and does not disengage the the lock.

Mel.

Post #440090 14th Mar 2024 5:18 pm
moontan

I Like Chips wrote:
At the end of it all looks like my lever is locked in P until I put my foot on the brake, unlocked for all other positions

This is not correct. You need to keep the lever on the head depressed when fitting the head back on and release it only when the head is on firmly. All positions will then be locked except R to N to D and vice versa.

Post #440105 15th Mar 2024 7:27 am
I Like Chips

That's how I put it on. As you say the lever has to be depressed, otherwise the head wont properly engage with the nylon end on the long pin, Will re check it today.

Post #440106 15th Mar 2024 8:24 am
moontan

moontan wrote:
I Like Chips wrote:
At the end of it all looks like my lever is locked in P until I put my foot on the brake, unlocked for all other positions

This is not correct. You need to keep the lever on the head depressed when fitting the head back on and release it only when the head is on firmly. All positions will then be locked except R to N to D and vice versa.

Apologies. You will need to press the gear head lever when moving from N to R. It does not move freely. R to N does not require the lever to be pressed.

Post #440110 15th Mar 2024 9:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>