Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Additional CarPlay/Android Auto screen and bluetooth
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Additional CarPlay/Android Auto screen and bluetooth

Morning all. Been looking at CarPlay add-ons for a while now (not replacing the head unit), such as this one: https://amzn.eu/d/174L1ff

I haven’t ever bought one because I don’t want to lose the steering wheel skip functionality. Seems like a small thing but it’ll bother me.

But it has dawned on me that, because these units can connect to the car via Bluetooth, would the steering wheel controls still work, sending the skip request to the Bluetooth device (the CarPlay unit) which then skips the track on the phone?

Cheers Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #439710 29th Feb 2024 7:34 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I will be watching this thread with interest,

After experiencing Android Auto on a couple of hire cars recently, I was impressed whilst using the Google Maps and looked at the stand alone unit in the OP's link.

It seemed a good solution if you were starting from scratch, but I already run a separate (phone connected) GPS and front and rear cameras.

One thing I would be reluctant to loose is the 'Arrow' in the FL2 driver's display that tells you accurately when you are at the junction and have to turn. I also found that my FL2's rather basic maps were easier to read than some of more detailed (and complicated) maps available online.

Online traffic indications seem to be quicker and more accurate than the fitted FL2 Nav system. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #439716 29th Feb 2024 10:49 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

In terms of GPS I have my phone on a mount and use Bluetooth for music/mapping guidance. Use Google Maps exclusively. So much better than the stock GPs, although I accept you don’t get dash notification as you would with the stock one.

In my head, using the add on I linked to, it should work because the car should recognise the device as an audio device and so should send control commands to it, as it would a phone. But I’d rather someone who has tried it could confirm or deny this before I invest anything.

And yes, Android Auto and CarPlay are both very very good. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #439724 29th Feb 2024 2:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1