Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Vibration in steering/noise around 30mph...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Leonidas1978

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey
Vibration in steering/noise around 30mph...

Hi All,

I was recently told by my local garage (good/trusted service), after having a rear wheel bearing replaced, that they'd noticed a 'vibration' in my rear diff (ooer). A couple of days ago, on my 50 mile commute, I felt a new vibration start. It doesn't feel like the usual 'steering' related issues that can crop up - it feels as though the problem is coming from the rear and affecting the steering ability of the front wheels. I also noticed that there's a droning/dull noise happening around 30mph up until 45ish mph. Been driving now since '96 and never felt this problem before. I've had the freelander for 9 years.

I wondered if anyone else has had similar issues along these lines with a diff problem? Never had any issues with a diff before so thought I'd ask...

I got quoted around £600ish to service the diff and hopefully that would cure it... or they said I'm looking at around £1200 to replace.

Thank you in advance for any advice/stories!

Post #439485 18th Feb 2024 1:48 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I've just had my Rear Diff Replaced under a LR Extended Warranty. I think their bill was about £2000.

For me it started with a slight dull droning sound, this stayed only just heard in the background mainly in the 30 - 60mph speed range.

I made booking (with courtesy car) in March for my FL2 to be diagnosed/repaired.

Over the New Year the noise 'suddenly' got a lot louder and changed to a typical 'misaligned gears' noise.

I reported the breakdown and the LR Assistance (AA) Man agreed and my car was booked into the LR Dealer. Then, because of terrific internal LR spares problems nearly 5 weeks I waited for my car to be returned. During the test drive the AA man did say that there was a slight chance it could be only a wheel bearing if I was lucky.

All is quiet and back to normal now with a new Diff.
(touch wood)

The price of the parts are about right acording to the internet. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #439486 18th Feb 2024 2:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1