« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2007 TD4 camshaft replacement/ engine timing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gibsonc

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
2007 TD4 camshaft replacement/ engine timing

I’ve got a 2007 HSE with c. 156k miles on which suffered from a broken exhaust camshaft at the end of last year. I’m hoping this thread can serve as help for others and also to answer a few queries.

I was driving along on a dual carriageway when the car went into reduced engine performance mode and then just cut out. At first I thought it was just a fuel sender issue as a few days before the car had been hesitant to show the fuel level. Due to the location where it broke down the police came out and saw it was saying it had no fuel. This was odd as I knew it had over half a tank in.

It was recovered to a garage and they eventually diagnosed the non starting as a cracked exhaust camshaft. I was quoted over £2k to fix it so at that point I called it quits and had it recovered back to my garage to attempt the repair myself - my thinking being it’s already on the verge of needing a replacement engine so I should at least attempt it. It’s a second car for me so I’m not reliant on it but I would like it to go again. I’m pretty mechanically minded but I’ve never done anything this deep into an engine. Only a few weeks before I replaced the steering rack on it so I don’t want that effort to go to waste.

The garage it was at stripped it fairly well down which is a blessing and a curse as I’m sure there’s some bits I won’t know where they go.

My main question at the moment is about the engine timing as I know this is critical but there’s a general lack of info online.

I’ve attempted to lock the crankshaft and camshaft with their relevant pins but I just couldn’t get both in at the same time. Al I able to simply lock the crankshaft up. Remove the timing belt. Then remove the camshaft cover, remove the cams, put the crankshaft into the “safe position”. Then replace the camshafts, lock them into the correct position. Then replace the timing belt?

Any input from people who have done this repair would be appreciated!

Post #439107 4th Feb 2024 7:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Not replaced the camshaft but have changed the timing belt etc.

I would NOT be happy just using the long, thin timing pin to lock the crank as it might well bend, especially when removing the crank pulley bolt. IMO you should also use a locking tool to engage the flywheel starter motor ring gear, after removing the starter motor. Jules

Post #439108 4th Feb 2024 7:34 pm
Gibsonc

Yep - I’ve got the flywheel locking tool as well - so that’ll definitely be used!

Post #439109 4th Feb 2024 7:54 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Don't know if it helps but I take it you have downloaded the workshop manual

Last edited by I Like Chips on 5th Feb 2024 8:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #439110 4th Feb 2024 8:45 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Dont worry about locking the cams as they are coming out and can be timed up after they are replaced. You should be fine with the crank and starter motor locking pins.
A word of warning, the crankshaft pulley bolt is f##kin tight. A 6 point impact socket is a good investment for doing the timing belt on these. It's recommended to replace the bolt as well. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #439112 4th Feb 2024 9:03 pm
Gibsonc

I Like Chips wrote:
Don't know if it help but I take it you have downloaded the workshop manual

Yep had a good read of that so it’s given me the main points for it!

Post #439114 4th Feb 2024 9:26 pm
Gibsonc

Bobupndown wrote:
Dont worry about locking the cams as they are coming out and can be timed up after they are replaced. You should be fine with the crank and starter motor locking pins.
A word of warning, the crankshaft pulley bolt is f##kin tight. A 6 point impact socket is a good investment for doing the timing belt on these. It's recommended to replace the bolt as well.

This is super helpful thank you - it made sense I could time it up afterwards but good to have it confirmed.

Is it correct I shouldn’t use my impact wrench on the crankshaft bolt? The timing belt was replaced less than 3k miles ago so at least it shouldn’t be seized on there.

Post #439115 4th Feb 2024 9:28 pm
I Like Chips

If you can get hold of one a torque multiplier makes the crank bold so easy to undo

Post #439117 4th Feb 2024 9:36 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Gibsonc wrote:
Bobupndown wrote:
A word of warning, the crankshaft pulley bolt is f##kin tight. A 6 point impact socket is a good investment for doing the timing belt on these. It's recommended to replace the bolt as well.

This is super helpful thank you - it made sense I could time it up afterwards but good to have it confirmed.

Is it correct I shouldn’t use my impact wrench on the crankshaft bolt? The timing belt was replaced less than 3k miles ago so at least it shouldn’t be seized on there.

I've never heard that you shouldn't?
If you have a decently powerful one it should cope OK. My Ryobi one struggled. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #439121 5th Feb 2024 8:30 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I imagine that if youve properly locked the crankshaft then a impact driver should be fine. But If you haven't then I could imagine an impact driver bending the timing pin used to set the position prior to locking. Some people omit the locking tool and rely on the pin - personally I wouldnt do that. Jules

Post #439124 5th Feb 2024 11:38 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Gibsonc wrote:
Bobupndown wrote:

The DW12 engine has a steel crankshaft, so an impact is ok. I've used my buzz gun twice on mine, and it's needed, as the locking compound on the bolt is very strong.

It's the Freelander 1 TD4 that has a rather fragile cast crank, so impact wrenches aren't recommended, nor is using the crank to take the loosening torque by locking the flywheel, which is why there's a special tool for that particular engine. You don't need to worry about that though.

Don't forget you'll need to remove both cams, as the timing chain loops round them. The timing chain tensioner needs to he clicked into its retracted position before taking the cams out, and made sure it's still the retracted position before assembly. Also keep all the followers in the same place they came from, and if the replacement exhaust cam is new, fit new followers on that cam.

You'll also need another new timing belt and new crankshaft bolt, but the tensioner and idler should be fine to reuse. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #439132 5th Feb 2024 6:10 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I preemptively replaced mine during lockdown. The key is to get the LR part which supersedes the original chill cast camshaft . In the aftermarket you'll find chill cast camshafts out there. The correct part has a a steel slotted endcap . This means the drive slot for the HP pump is a slot in steel and much happier with the percussive stresses than the cast part which shattered in your case.

If you're replacing the injector supply pipes (as recommended) then you'll find Ford equivalents cheaper. I was surprised just how quickly the HP pump and injectors self bled. Probably no more than a 15 - 20 sec crank.

Check for wear on the valve heads and lifters, elsewhere you'll find a thread on excessive wear causes the collets to fall out and the valve drops .........

Post #439301 11th Feb 2024 6:07 pm
Gibsonc

Yep I’ve got the superseded camshafts to go in!

I’m taking it very slow getting apart having never done anything like this before. I’ve got the cambelt off and believe I now need to put the engine in the “safe position” - is this as simple as spinning the crankshaft 90 degrees backwards from TDC?

I haven’t decided to replace the fuel lines but did think about it. This is a second car for me so budget is a consideration to a degree. My thinking being if they don’t leak then great but if they do then it’s not a massive strip down to replace them. Perhaps bad logic though?

Post #439302 11th Feb 2024 6:15 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Gibsonc wrote:

I used my impact wrench to remove the crank bolt on my Evoque when changing the belt. Due to the locking goo on the thread, it was bloody tight all the way out. Would have been an arm deadener to have done it by hand. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #439305 11th Feb 2024 7:51 pm
I Like Chips

AndyP wrote:

If you're replacing the injector supply pipes (as recommended) then you'll find Ford equivalents cheaper.

Do you have the ford code numbers please

Post #439306 11th Feb 2024 7:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>