« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Can I remove the Prop - 2007 TD4 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Saint.V8

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Can I remove the Prop - 2007 TD4 SE

I apologise if this has been done to death, but the wife has taken my FL2 to see her parents (100 miles away) and on arrival she reports grinding from the rear and a smell similar to old oil.

My thoughts are Haldex or rear diff assembly....

I am due to go and see what’s what on Thursday and bring them home in our other car, then go back at the weekend to see what I can do.

Can’t afford recovery so I either have to try and fix it at the in-laws (but all my tools and hydraulic ramps are at home) or is it possible to remove the prop shaft and run fwd to home where I have space and time to affect a repair?

Can you run the FL2 without a prop similar to the FL1?

We have an FL1 and have run that on occasion without the prop and have owned numerious land rovers over the last 20 years so not afraid of a spanner....

Any tips on getting it back in one piece?

Post #418860 22nd Feb 2022 11:01 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My thoughts.
As you know the FL2 is full time FWD with part time 4WD.
You need to determine where the problem resides.
The haldex is a clutch; the input part is connected to the prop and the output is connected to the rear diff.
Even if you remove the prop, the rear diff and output part of the haldex will still be rotated by the rear wheels.

You could try pulling the haldex fuse. This should permanently disable the haldex and disengage the prop from the rear diff, and may allow you to drive in FWD only. You will get warnings on the dash.

If the haldex clutch is locked up then removing the prop would separate the PTU from the haldex unit and you will again have FWD only.

Whether you will actually be able to drive it on FWD will be determined by what has actually gone wrong (assuming its in the haldex or rear diff). Jules

Post #418864 23rd Feb 2022 12:03 am
Saint.V8

Awesome, thanks for the information Jules.

So it looks like you can run without the prop. Good to know.

Further input from the wife is, it reverse fine, but when going forward it grinds and begins dragging - suspecting Handbrake Shoes or lose pads....

Will update when apart tomorrow

Post #418939 24th Feb 2022 2:04 pm
jules

Maybe an urban myth but I've read that unscrupulous sellers have been know to remove the prop to hide a faulty haldex. Jules

Post #418942 24th Feb 2022 3:12 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

fairly sure that they sold the FL2 as a 2WD -so no PTU, propshaft or haldex.
I did manage to destroy the input to the PTU, so no drive to the propshaft, drove OK but had to give less welly when setting off with lock on, strait ahead was OK.

Good luck with the repairs, finger crossed it's a Haldex fault, or even better one of the linings have fallen off the parking brakes - been there done that. The auto doesn't generate enough heat in the parking brake so in never dries out and falls apart. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #418949 24th Feb 2022 4:53 pm
Saint.V8

So the plot thickens. Nothing wrong with the pads, shoes or discs - lots of meat, not grooves or hot spots, shoes look in good condition, even the 'R'clips look almost new!

with both discs off, you can rotate the hub in both directions with ease on the pax side, on the drivers there was a bit more resistance, but nothing major. The opposite hub would rotate in the opposite direction as it should......but, if you stop the opposite hub from rotating....

Turn Pax Hub with Drivers Hub held tight, the pax hub rotates OK (diff resistance etc) but with the pax hub held tight and rotate the drivers hub - rotating as if driving forward, you can feel grinding and then it begins to lock up, goes tight and then releases to grinding again until you get to a similar point in the rotation and it starts locking up again....turn it in reverse, no lock up problems at all...

Thinking a diff bearing or even the pinion(?) gear on the driveshaft.

Took both shafts out to drive home about 100 miles, all was well no ABS issues - but at speeds over 50mph it felt like the rear wasn't attached to the car, it would slide about - most curious....I am thinking wheel bearings have play and the drive shaft nut was holding them tighter to mask the play, now removed the bearing has more opportunity to move about.

Once I pluck up the courage now it is back home to get it in the air and have a wiggle. Will update when I know more!

Post #419037 26th Feb 2022 11:07 am
jules

"with both discs off, you can rotate the hub in both directions with ease on the pax side, on the drivers there was a bit more resistance, but nothing major. The opposite hub would rotate in the opposite direction as it should......but, if you stop the opposite hub from rotating...."

So the input side of the diff is jamming up. To me that says that your haldex is kaput. The diff pinion bearing doesnt just suddenly jam up - it whines for ages AFAIK.
So I think the clutch plates in the haldex are locking up when they shouldn't.
Its easy to take the haldex off (unplug the ECU and remove 4 bolts, as the prop is already off) and see what the diff is like without it.

The haldex oil will drain out when you remove the haldex and you need a new big O ring when you put it back on or the oil will most likely leak. Jules

Post #419040 26th Feb 2022 1:16 pm
Saint.V8

Thanks for the input..

The prop is still attached - I removed both drive shafts.

If the haldex is shot - wouldn't the 'locking up' issue be present when rotating the pax hub too when the drivers side is held tight?

The Pax side rotates fine when the drivers hub is held....but when the pax hub is held the drivers side locks up and grinds suggesting the problem is isolated to the drivers side of the diff surely?

Post #419042 26th Feb 2022 2:03 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I suspect the diff is the issue. Mine had no oil in it, and seized solid at 45MPH, which was pretty scary. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #419050 26th Feb 2022 10:07 pm
jules

Saint.V8 wrote:
Thanks for the input..

If the haldex is shot - wouldn't the 'locking up' issue be present when rotating the pax hub too when the drivers side is held tight?

The Pax side rotates fine when the drivers hub is held....but when the pax hub is held the drivers side locks up and grinds suggesting the problem is isolated to the drivers side of the diff surely?

Maybe you're right, I'm not sure. All I can say I don't recall a seized rear diff being reported on here. Lots of whining diff bearings and failed haldex units though.

Does the Pax side hub rotate freely in both directions when the driver side hub is held ? Jules

Last edited by jules on 27th Feb 2022 12:37 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #419057 27th Feb 2022 12:34 am
jules

Nodge68 wrote:
I suspect the diff is the issue. Mine had no oil in it, and seized solid at 45MPH, which was pretty scary.

Blimey - and there you go - a seized diff ! Laughing Jules

Post #419058 27th Feb 2022 12:35 am
Saint.V8

jules wrote:
Saint.V8 wrote:
Thanks for the input..

Maybe you're right, I'm not sure. All I can say I don't recall a seized rear diff being reported on here. Lots of whining diff bearings and failed haldex units though.

Does the Pax side hub rotate freely in both directions when the driver side hub is held ?

Yep, Pax side is fine in both directions - I guess I will have to pull the diff and haldex and get it on a bench....such fun!

It is curious as you say - my first thought was haldex, then when wifey said reversing was fine i was suspecting lose pads or broken/loose hhandbrake shoe....but when the brakes where taken out opf the equation and it was only happening on one side, I am now considering diff...else the issue I would suspect would happen when both sides are rotated if it was indeed the haldex.

stand ready for further updates!

Post #419063 27th Feb 2022 1:22 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

If you remove the rear drive shafts, surely you should leave the outer CV joints in each hub to keep the inner and outer wheel bearings together? If there is no cv joint to put pre-load on the bearing, surely that will result in lots of play in the bearing hence the feeling of the rear being disconnected at speed? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #419064 27th Feb 2022 6:01 am
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Left field here… but… are you sure it’s not just a sticking rear calliper? It would only identify itself on a long journey when the pad and disc start to overheat?
Apologies for the thoughts but I have had something similar…

Post #419069 27th Feb 2022 10:06 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Steve D is correct! The CV joint is needed to take up play in the wheel bearing. In a worst case situation if you were to put enough lateral loading on the bearing it could come apart completely and you end up loosing a wheel! Running without the CV joints should only be done at very low speeds for as short a distance as possible and even then probably not on a main road! Shocked

Post #419070 27th Feb 2022 10:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>