« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > P0046, P259E, P2263 and a waff - waff - waff sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
P0046, P259E, P2263 and a waff - waff - waff sound

I have copied this subject onto a new thread as it keeps coming up and I have difficult finding it yet again.

I had a similar problem with Restricted Performance, and had symptoms/codes confirmed by myself, AA Call Out, and Main Dealer. However LR Extended Warranty insisted that the Dealer carry out a 'Code Clearance' and 'Full Functional Procedure' which cleared the fault.
The fault hasn't appeared since (touch wood).

My original post -

Today about 40 miles from home, whilst accelerating via 'resume cruise' button, out of a round about,

felt sudden deceleration, and speed levelled at 50mph, with no control via accelerator,

yellow and red warning triangles and 'Restricted Performance' appeared on dashboard.

Stopping at nearest layby, switching off/locking made no difference.

Continued carefully to destination, found that a fully locked rest of about 20 minutes (shopping) cleared the fault.

All OK until about 10 miles toward home on, again the same fault on leaving roundabout.

Continued most of the Journey home mostly on dual carriageways/motorways, medium acceleration to 30mph, then exceedingly slow progress up tp about 60mph cruising.
A couple of scary moments when slight changes in gradient took 20mph off speed quite quickly (enough to make us choose to do the last 10 miles down backroads, instead of tackling the long motorway incline)

At home OBD pending readings of P0046, P259E, P2263 and a waff - waff - waff sound if throttle blipped.
I suspect the turbo / turbo actuator.

I have extended warranty so phoned main dealer (for some reason you can now only speak to a call centre - nowhere near the garage) I have to leave car there for 2 - 3 days for an emergency diagnosis and then longer for a repair!
Worst still I cannot have a courtesy car until the fault has been diagnosed and confirmed.

The fault seems to only occur when warm, but I feel that it is unsafe to drive up the motorway to dealer, so tomorrow I will be calling the AA out.

Ironically, at the end of the month I will be changing to the enhanced LR Warranty, at which time they would have handled the whole problem from the beginning. I think it was 'dorset' on this forum who recommended full cover, I should have listened!

It is my first real 'taking car away' fault in my 10 years with Freelander 2s.

Subsequent Post -

The outcome was that the AA confirmed the fault and with a bit of persuasion from me delivered the car to the Main Dealer (I thought it to be unsafe to drive up motorway to the garage)

The garage confirmed the fault codes and asked the LR Warranty people to authorise a change of turbo, however LR Warranty asked for a full functional procedure and check to be carried out.
As I understand it this comprised of resetting everything and exercising/checking functioning of turbo.
Afterwards, and on the subsequent road test, all appeared to work perfectly. The garage rang me with the news, but agreed to carry out an extended road test as I was convinced the fault would reappear.

No fault was found and the car was returned to me with no charge for work at all.

My car has now run for about 2 months with no further problems. I can only suspect that the resetting/exercising of the turbo somehow cleared the sticking of the turbo vanes.

Therefore believe if you are looking for a DIY solution, you start with exercising the vanes manually.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #434719 4th Aug 2023 3:51 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

That is very clear and well written Ian,
my belief is the rev range needs to be used more,
trunderling around in general will not really use
the higher range and therefor allow the carbon to build up,
thus creating in the future sticking vanes,
I could be wrong of course Laughing DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #434728 5th Aug 2023 12:09 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I had a very similar experience a couple of weeks ago when towing my car trailer. The only fault code was P0234 - turbo overboost. Greenflag got us home, I cleared the code, chucked some Wynn's Turbo Cleaner in the tank and did a 100 mile round trip at motorway speeds. Another couple of hundred miles later and so far, all is good. Seems to have been a case of sticking vanes and hopefully the cleaner has helped. If it happens again, I’ll check the actuator rod.

Post #434729 5th Aug 2023 12:43 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Dave47 wrote:
I could be wrong of course Laughing

You are right in saying that my FL2 spends most of it's time trundling around at about 65mph on the motorway, and between 40 - 60mph on local rural roads.
The problem is the SD4 never seems to use anything much above 2k revs in normal use, although I have learnt to use Sport Mode for better overall control on the more winding, up and down roads.

Flat out acceleration rarely last for more than a few seconds as the SD4 gathers speed at quite a lick. In fact its acceleration and top speed are very similar to my (beloved) 1980s Triumph Dolomite Sprint, very much a performance car of its time.

TOUCH WOOD - The fault occurred more than a year ago, and since then, all is still going well.

Original post

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic38969.html?highlight=p0046 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #434730 5th Aug 2023 1:16 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Dave47 wrote:

I agree. A good ol' "Italian Tune up" can do the engine a world of good providing its been well serviced.

Though I dont believe you need to go to the red line with a diesel - just give it some welly till its really hot.

https://www.hotcars.com/italian-tune-up-ex...redlining/ Jules

Post #434732 5th Aug 2023 2:41 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I find that towing the tin tent regularly exercises mine nicely, the gears holding longer before up changes and revving to about 3000 on long inclines. Certainly working the turbo harder than normal and must be helping with dpf regens. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434740 5th Aug 2023 6:18 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
Dave47 wrote:

I agree. A good ol' "Italian Tune up" can do the engine a world of good providing its been well serviced.

Though I dont believe you need to go to the red line with a diesel - just give it some welly till its really hot.

https://www.hotcars.com/italian-tune-up-ex...redlining/

Or as our mechanic would say, drive it like you stole it.😁

Post #434741 5th Aug 2023 6:36 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Bobupndown wrote:
I find that towing the tin tent regularly exercises mine nicely, the gears holding longer before up changes and revving to about 3000 on long inclines. Certainly working the turbo harder than normal and must be helping with dpf regens.

It was doing just that that caused my turbo overboost! But perhaps as it had never towed a car and trailer before, it needed the turbo worked a bit harder than it was used to?

Post #434744 5th Aug 2023 7:25 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

IanMetro wrote:
Dave47 wrote:

You are right in saying that my FL2 spends most of it's time trundling around at about 65mph on the motorway, and between 40 - 60mph on local rural roads.
The problem is the SD4 never seems to use anything much above 2k revs in normal use, although I have learnt to use Sport Mode for better overall control on the more winding, up and down roads.

Original post

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic38969.html?highlight=p0046

As a member of the I.A.M. we are expected to use the box fully, in fact I feel using command shift on a twisty road can certainly enhance the driving experiance and exercise the turbo too. Wink
 DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #434749 6th Aug 2023 10:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1