Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Had a Freelander for 72 hours and I'm already under the car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rat_penat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black
Had a Freelander for 72 hours and I'm already under the car

Hello!

First time poster. I have no real mechanical background so feel free to talk to me like I'm a stupid child.

FL2 SD4 auto with 150k on it. Test drive fine and seemed OK in the pouring rain. Bought it, got it home, realised the next day it was lubricating my driveway.

Armed with nothing but a Haynes manual and a fear of garage invoices I got the undertray off and found a leak coming from the front of the sump. Filter base seems clean so I don't think it's that but it's hard to say - not much space in the front. The hose that runs over the top of the engine seems clean(ish) too, so that's out. Could be front crank seal (I really hope not). Engine oil level seems fine (maybe even a bit over), so maybe previous owner banged a load of oil into it to cover it up when I dipped it. Aside from getting the rad off to really look at it I'm out of ideas.

Doesn't throw any codes on the reader either. And if anyone knows that this bolt I found rolling around the tray is from I would be very interested to know.

Post #434160 19th Jul 2023 10:22 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Is that an M6 / 10mm nut? If so, check if the headlights have two bolts holding them i placen, and along the top of the grille/slam panel. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #434162 19th Jul 2023 11:33 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White
Re: Had a Freelander for 72 hours and I'm already under the

Rat_penat wrote:
Hello!

First time poster. I have no real mechanical background so feel free to talk to me like I'm a stupid child.

FL2 SD4 auto with 150k on it. Test drive fine and seemed OK in the pouring rain. Bought it, got it home, realised the next day it was lubricating my driveway.

Armed with nothing but a Haynes manual and a fear of garage invoices I got the undertray off and found a leak coming from the front of the sump. Filter base seems clean so I don't think it's that but it's hard to say - not much space in the front. The hose that runs over the top of the engine seems clean(ish) too, so that's out. Could be front crank seal (I really hope not). Engine oil level seems fine (maybe even a bit over), so maybe previous owner banged a load of oil into it to cover it up when I dipped it. Aside from getting the rad off to really look at it I'm out of ideas.

Doesn't throw any codes on the reader either. And if anyone knows that this bolt I found rolling around the tray is from I would be very interested to know.

I would try and clean all of the bottom of the engine with degreaser and /or jet wash dry it and then run the engine with the undertray off lay a bit of cardboard or similar underneath and observe where it might be coming from. At least you know it has had regular oil changes ! ! 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #434165 20th Jul 2023 7:59 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

It’s not unknown for aluminium sump castings to become porous after years of road salt corrosion . I had this on my 09 from it being 9 years old to me selling it at 12 . It wasn’t pouring out , as the porosity exposed must have been microns , not a great hole . I’m not saying this is probable , but it is possible , 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #434179 20th Jul 2023 7:40 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

It’s not unknown for aluminium sump castings to become porous after years of road salt corrosion . I had this on my 09 from it being 9 years old to me selling it at 12 . It wasn’t pouring out , as the porosity exposed must have been microns , not a great hole . I’m not saying this is probable , but it is possible , 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #434180 20th Jul 2023 7:43 pm
Rat_penat

NoDo$h wrote:

Is that an M6 / 10mm nut? If so, check if the headlights have two bolts holding them i placen, and along the top of the grille/slam panel.

Great shout, thanks. I have been fixing other stuff today so not had chance to look but from placement it could be.

Post #434183 20th Jul 2023 8:55 pm
Rat_penat

Rommel,

First thing I did after remving the (horrendously oily) undertray was get the oil off everything to see a bit better. Managed to a big ol' drip of oil come from somewhere above the lower sump. But yeah, always a good start.

Post #434184 20th Jul 2023 8:58 pm
NeilTD4

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

To me, that bolt looks like it has come from the cam belt cover.

The washer looks thicker than the one on the headlight bolt and it's just black from rolling round on the oily undertray.

Post #434223 22nd Jul 2023 12:33 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

If you put a magnets on the engine and gearbox drain plugs or come to think of it on the undertray itself any 10mm sockets, screws, bolts etc will cling to them

Post #434228 22nd Jul 2023 7:08 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Have you taken the plastic cover off the top of the engine ? Maybe it's just where it has been spilt when topping the oil up and it's dripped down . Easily done if trying to pour it directly from a 5ltr bottle !
Just a thought.

Post #434453 29th Jul 2023 7:07 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Could be from the rad clamp near the bonnet sensor on one side or the crash sensor on the other

Post #434458 29th Jul 2023 7:59 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

The bolt and washer are also quite similar to the ones that hold the fan assembly in place. The fan assembly is quite easily removed (once you have the knack!) and gives much better access to the front of the engine bay (for oil filter removal etc) so it is possible that someone has had that off in the recent past and lost the bolt. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #434460 29th Jul 2023 9:38 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

It looks like an EGR cooler mounting bolt to me. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #434463 29th Jul 2023 10:13 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Re: Had a Freelander for 72 hours and I'm already under the

Rat_penat wrote:
Hello!

Did you ever find the source of the leak ? do let us know please.

Post #434923 15th Aug 2023 11:08 am
Rat_penat

Oh man, yes I did. I'll do another post and link it but it was the oil filter housing to engine.

New post here

Post #435333 29th Aug 2023 4:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1