Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front wheel locking up on braking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

JLR don’t make brake parts. They buy from who ever meets the specifications for the best price! Buy in bulk, put into posh box and charge some poor rich sod a fortune for the same gear they can buy from AF or euro car parts.

Post #434040 12th Jul 2023 10:07 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I changed to the larger diameter brakes from the i6.
Used new caliper carriers and bolts, original calipers, new EBC pads and new OEM disks from Island4x4.
No problem with contact with disk mud shields.

And new braided stainless hoses. Jules

Post #434043 12th Jul 2023 10:31 pm
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hi Jules. Thanks for the reply, always welcome from an experienced FL2 owner. can I ask, did the upgrade make much difference over standard? i tow with mine so assume more braking will be done on the rear. I can only see vented discs on the rear being a huge improvement under towing conditions.

Post #434099 16th Jul 2023 8:32 pm
Chrism551

Nodge68 wrote:
The brakes on the FL2 are adequate in normal circumstances, however they aren't any larger than the Ford Mondeo they come from, and the Freelander is some 300kg heavier.
I've no complaints about my brakes, but I did replace the rotors, pads, shoes, cables and calipers when I got it. They've done 16k miles since, and show no signs of overheating. I got mine from AF, but used their own brand which was listed as OE quality, and I don't doubt that. The brakes got much lighter after I replaced everything, so suspect the calipers were to blame, as the pistons and slider pins were stuck fast.

Thanks for that. I am looking into doing the same as a replacemnt car is mad money and most are pushing 100k and will no doubt have the same issues looming. Did you replace the caliper carriers aswell or just fit new slider pins?

Post #434100 16th Jul 2023 8:36 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The caliper brackets were cleaned perfectly, but the slides were lubricated with ceramic brake grease. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #434106 16th Jul 2023 10:50 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Tuesday just gone i took the FL2 out for a run has it had not had one in over 10 days, after about 5 miles i was getting the steering wheel wobbling not bad but you could see it and feel it, got worse when i braked, you could feel and see this wobble at around 2000revs in both 3rd or fourth gear, there i was wonder what the heck is that.

When i arrived at my destination, i went round the car and touched each brake disc the drivers side was so hot i could not touch it, the rest i was ok.

Same when i got back home, yesterday, wheel off Caliper off and carrier, pads off and cleaned, but i could not push back the Caliper piston, so used a clamp pushed it back by about 4mm and it was solid could not move it anymore.

After cleaning the carrier, slider pins, and pads put it back together, pressed the brake pedal and the piston moved but it is now locked to the disc, so last night i ordered two new calipers, & carriers, already have new rear of the same so this weekend or early next week i will be swapping them all out, i may even go the whole hog and changed the discs/rotors back and front.

Has Nodge already said been on long enough now i have had the car for 6yrs changed the discs and pads when i first got it, but not the Calipers etc so most likely the ones that came with the car out of the factory FOMOCO on them

Post #434963 17th Aug 2023 2:30 am
Chrism551

I would also change the flexi hose to the calliper. It’s not uncommon for the inner lining to degrade and separate forming effectively a one way valve. Did you slacken the bleed nipple before pushing the piston back in?

Post #434966 17th Aug 2023 7:16 am
Arctic

Quote:
I would also change the flexi hose to the calliper. It’s not uncommon for the inner lining to degrade and separate forming effectively a one way valve. Did you slacken the bleed nipple before pushing the piston back in?

Hi Chriss.
No i could not undo the bleed nipple because it has sheered off, so must have been like that since i purchased the car, any idea what the part number is for the flexi hose front and back please.

PS think these are the part numbers
Brake Hose Rear - LR008149

Brake Hose Front - LR135810

Brake Hose Front - LR135810P1 - OEM

Post #434977 17th Aug 2023 10:01 am
Chrism551

Advanced factors sell them very reasonable, although a few forum members have upgraded to braided stainless hoses which give a better pedal feel. I’m sure someone will be along shortly with a link for those if you prefer them. Just be careful when undoing the old ones that you don’t damage the rigid pipe in the process and give yourself more headaches. Also be careful when you swap over to not let the brake fluid run out in the master cylinder otherwise you will need to bleed the abs pump and that needs a scan tool gadget to do as far as I can recall.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/brake-hoses--pipes-1644-c.asp

Post #434979 17th Aug 2023 10:15 am
Arctic

Advanced factors sell them very reasonable, although a few forum members have upgraded to braided stainless hoses which give a better pedal feel. I’m sure someone will be along shortly with a link for those if you prefer them. Just be careful when undoing the old ones that you don’t damage the rigid pipe in the process and give yourself more headaches. Also be careful when you swap over to not let the brake fluid run out in the master cylinder otherwise you will need to bleed the abs pump and that needs a scan tool gadget to do as far as I can recall.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/brake-hoses--pipes-1644-c.asp

Quote:

Hi Chris.
Thank you for the link, you should be able to lock off the ABS pump when changing out the hoses, by wedging the brake pedal with a length of wood or a bar if you have one, it should stop any loss from the system, works on the R40

Post #434983 17th Aug 2023 10:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12