Home > General > New to Free2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tvr tommy

United Kingdom 
New to Free2

Hi All

I’m new here ported over from Def2. My love of Land Rovers has finally rubbed off on my partner and I’ve been given the task of finder her a Freelander.

Hoping the Freelander is going to be tough enough to put up with some abuse. The current Volvo V50 has taken 5 years to kill. To be far it’s been off roading many times on her Gundog pursuits. It’s done ok to far to it.

Looking forward to learning all the quirks of the Freelander. From my research they’re one of LR’s better products.

Post #433404 18th Jun 2023 7:51 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Have you spotted this well documented story of FL2 ownership

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30627.html

You are right in saying 'the ford era' Freelander 2 is one of the better LR vehicles, although it is also one of the first that became heavily reliant on its electronic systems and the battery takes a bit of a work-out.
This can lead to random, phantom faults during start procedure as electronic modes fail to initialise properly.

My solution (after many years of ownership) was to buy a decent battery charger, and lithium booster.

Click image to enlarge

PS - tin of beans only included to show size, battery booster fits in rear door pocket ready for action.
Also handily the booster will charge your phone in emergence quite easily. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #433406 18th Jun 2023 8:09 am
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

What ever you decide to buy make sure it's got a cast iron service history and on the test drive make sure the Diffs are quite.

Post #433414 18th Jun 2023 12:07 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Also check for corrosion on the rear subframe, the rear part of the front subframe, and the power steering pipes visible at the back of the front RH wheel arch too, as LR didn't bother extending the splash shield low enough to prevent road spray from getting to these rather important components. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Up for sale.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #433417 18th Jun 2023 5:57 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Before even going to look at a vehicle, (supposing you know the registration), check it's MOT history at www.check-mot.service.gov.uk. This will tell you whether it's an abused dog that's been kept on the road on a shoestring, or a pampered pet that's wanted for nothing.
Mine has passed every MOT without advisories whilst I've owned it. It had full service history up until the point I owned it with a few MOT failures and advisories despite the full main dealer history, but due to the age of it, I now maintain it myself and have modified it significantly.
Plus, there are plenty about, so you can afford to be choosy. Again, previous MOT's point to any possible corrosion or diff issues that may be lurking and let you know as advisories if brake components are getting close to needing to be replaced which can be costly. It should also highlight any fluid leaks etc too.

Post #433419 18th Jun 2023 6:22 pm
tvr tommy

United Kingdom 

Thank you for the tips guys. There does seem a good amount for sale, so shouldn’t be to hard to find a good example.

Post #433421 18th Jun 2023 6:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1