Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A lot of smoke, a bit low on power and no cruise control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
catalin

Romania 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
A lot of smoke, a bit low on power and no cruise control

Bought my car about a month ago, 2007 TD4 without DPF. At first, on the road home, my dad driving behind noticed a bit of smoke when pressing the acceleration to maximum and we thought it is normal because it has no DPF. The fuel consumption on that 300km was the same as my dad's 08 TD4 with DPF, 6.8l/100km. The car had the following error "P2297-21 Oxygen sensor out of range during deceleration. Bank 1 - sensor 1.".
Left the car to my dad for 3 weeks to let him do the usual repairs and other changes at our local service. The guys did not changed my sensor, they said it can be because of the engine oil and other stuff and they will check it later if the error comes back. When I got to take my car, it was sunset and I noticed shakes (like if I was tapping intermittent and fast the gas pedal) when maintaining a constant speed at around 2000-2100 rpm and a bit of smoke in the light of my car behind me when accelerating. And also, I feel it less powerful, when I bought it and driven home (before the smoke) it was a bit faster, accelerated better. The consumption went higher, a road that when I driven my dad's car I got 7.4l/100km, mine gets 10.1l/100km.
Today I went to the service and noticed cruise control didn't work. My little Autel told me a nice "P0564-65 Speed control multi-function input A circuit". Firstly, I wanted to think that it is because of that other problem. Changed the oxygen sensor. I asked the guys at the service if the smoke should be gone and they said that the car should be driven a bit. Took the car out for a little 100km and I tried to keep the rpm between 2500-3000. The result: the smoke was worse than before. And 4 turbo errors showed up:
- P0045-19 Turbo/supercharger boost control solenoid circuit/open
- P2564-37 Turbocharger boost control position sensor A - circuit low
- P00AF-75 Turbocharger/supercharger boost control A - Performance
- P0299-00 Turbo/supercharger underboost
The guys at the service were in the last 5 years with my dad's FL2, but I didn't quite like the approach they took with me and I don't want to start changing parts for no reason (a reason I liked these guys in the first place). Now the car is back in service, but I'm a bit mad because in a month since I have it I driven it just for a week.
So, what can be the reason for the big amount of smoke? Could it be a cracked turbo hose? Could it be something worse?
Also, any idea on why the cruise control stopped working?

Post #432603 20th May 2023 5:24 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

is it black smoke?if so sounds like a split turbo hose,usually the first one to go is the one to the throttle body right at the front at the top of engine.

Post #432607 20th May 2023 8:50 pm
catalin

Yep, as black as it gets.
I would've check the hose, but the engine was still hot and service closed few minutes after I left the car, so I couldn't check that. I would like to be such a simple problem. My bad I didn't check it before, thinking the smoke was because of that sensor, but the turbo didn't show up any error, only the sensor.

Post #432608 20th May 2023 9:28 pm
catalin

Fixed almost all smoke. Main cause was a split in the turbo hose and some small cracks in the intercooler. Consumption is now at 8.5l/100km and for my driving style this is what should be around, but power is still a bit below of what I remember it was when I first drove it. Maybe exhaust still needs a bit of driving at high rpm to get rid of the ashes it got when it had a lot of smoke?
Now it only smoke when at idle rev to over 3000rpm, lift foot off pedal completely, wait a second to have a drop of rpm of 1500 then pedal to metal back to 3000rpm. In this case, when pressing the pedal the second time it gives a bit of smoke. I don't know if this is normal, never had a diesel without DPF before, maybe someone can tell if this is ok or not.

About cruise control... it turns out the position of the steering wheel was the cause: when it's at max distance backwards, it doesn't work, if I move a bit to front, it works... I have no idea why but at least I know how to get it to work Very Happy

Post #433223 9th Jun 2023 9:23 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Smoke under full load, or a sudden amount of smoke when throttling hard is normal for a non DPF diesel. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #433225 9th Jun 2023 9:37 am
alex_pescaru

catalin wrote:
About cruise control... it turns out the position of the steering wheel was the cause: when it's at max distance backwards, it doesn't work, if I move a bit to front, it works... I have no idea why but at least I know how to get it to work Very Happy

I'm waiting to see how you'll solve this, because, on my case, sometimes the turn signals or the main beam switch doesn't work properly.
I need to "jiggle" a little the stalk(s) on their base in order to make it work...
And on summer more than on winter, so it may be a bad contact somewhere.

And I am too lazy to take matter into my hands and dismantle things... Laughing

Post #433237 9th Jun 2023 5:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1