Home > General > Rattle from front
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Richijones

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Barolo Black
Rattle from front

Hi,
Got a rattle comming from front, mainly when going slow in 1st, 2nd gear. Even on what seems a smooth road i get so quite loud clunks and rattles from the suspension but these do not happen when going over a speed bump where there is a larger ammount of suspension travel, seems more pronounced on a smooth road. Above 30mph its hardly noticable.
So far replaced the ARB drop links and track rod ends but still no better so i am thinking suspension arm (wishbone) both need replacing.
This leads me to my second question. The Haynes manaul says that i need to remove the hub nut, but i can't see why this would be needed.
Never done a wishbone on a FL2 but on other cars i have always loosed the bolts attaching arm to body/ sub frame, then disconnect the ball joint, full remove all other bolts an remove wishbone.
The loosly bolt new one in place attach ball joint and then fully tighten all bolts. Only reason i can see to remove hub nut would be to give more access to ball joint nut.
Any one else had a similar rattle and experiance of fitting new wishbones.
Thanks

Post #430928 16th Mar 2023 2:08 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I can't comment on leaving the hubnut in place because I replace both wishbones and hubs at the same time. However I suggest you purchase or borrow a wishbone extractor to make life easier

Post #430931 16th Mar 2023 3:35 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

There's no need to mess with the hub nut unless the wishbone ball joint goes in from above.
If the joint is hung underneath like the Freelander, then the hub nut can be left alone.

When tightening the inboard bolts, the vehicle weight must be on the suspension, or the bushes will be under a constant twist and fail very soon after fitting. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #430932 16th Mar 2023 3:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1