Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Window and paintwork 'zits'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Window and paintwork 'zits'

Excuse my English if zits is not the right word. Confused
My FL2 windows (especially back and moon roof) are full of small dots (like very small zits). I can easily feel them when crossing lightly my finger nail tip above them. They also exist in back paintwork but they are not visible there (only nail tip works). In my opinion it's most probably sth like welding or cutting wheel remains! Big Cry They were there since I firstly bought the car, but thought it was sth that would leave with washing.
I went to my dealer and he said it's remains of wax from the factory or sth. He recommended a special cleaning agent (autosmart glass cleaning), which I bought. Some of them left after application but the problem persists. I checked another FL2 and they were there as well.
Has anyone else noticed that on their car? They are very apparent especially in direct sunlight when windows are clean and on their black parts (eg moon roof). I wander, is it a factory defect or probably a transportation problem (I think they ship them to Greece). Please help!

Post #2651 25th Apr 2007 10:43 am
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry friend, no zits anywhere, just collecting alot of bugs in the sunroof net!!!

Post #2653 25th Apr 2007 11:24 am
bowserman

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: Window and paintwork 'zits'

defkalion wrote:
My FL2 windows (especially back and moon roof) are full of small dots (like very small zits). I can easily feel them when crossing lightly my finger nail tip above them. They also exist in back paintwork but they are not visible there (only nail tip works). In my opinion it's most probably sth like welding or cutting wheel remains! Big Cry They were there since I firstly bought the car, but thought it was sth that would leave with washing.
I went to my dealer and he said it's remains of wax from the factory or sth. He recommended a special cleaning agent (autosmart glass cleaning), which I bought. Some of them left after application but the problem persists. I checked another FL2 and they were there as well.
Has anyone else noticed that on their car? They are very apparent especially in direct sunlight when windows are clean and on their black parts (eg moon roof). I wander, is it a factory defect or probably a transportation problem (I think they ship them to Greece). Please help!

Picked our ex demo FL2 from Guy Salmon Wakefield last Saturday. They had it parked into the low winter sun and we noticed two stonechips on windscreen and numerous very small chips. After a rather heated 'discussion' with the new car sales manager, he eventually agreed to pay for a new screen to be fitted. Cheeky b'stard even said, "it is a used car" 3k miles on the clock. I told him my 04 VW Caravelle has 170k on the clock and has been thrashed up and down the motorway network relentlessly and doesnt have 1 stonechip on the screen. Getting replaced next week at a cost of £580.

Post #13544 26th Jan 2008 5:37 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have to agree with them on this, an ex-demo is a used car and therefore will not be in showroom condition Neutral

I bought a ex-demo myself and it too has a few stone chips, and a slight scratch on the window, which i can live with, I looked over the car and made sure anything i wasn't happy with was sorted as part of the deal.

and they wasn't i would have walked away and found a better example.

Well done for getting them to agree with the replacement window, though if they was in a area were it would eventually fail its MOT i would have insisted also.

BTW, I had my car for around three days when a stone flew up and cracked the glass, was repaired by the insurance.

EDIT. Make sure it's heated window works when they repair it, if it has them that is Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #13546 26th Jan 2008 5:58 pm
Kangy

Australia 

with mine they told me straight out that in transport a couple of small,looks like a few mm little dots right on front bumper down low,

They will pay for touch up,

Went to their workshops for side strip fit and was told because of holidays paint job can't be done as well.

The manager there said he will ask his friend in crash repair for a can of touch up paint to send me and thought was a better deal.

This was 3 weeks ago and hope now all the holidays are over will get what i wanted.

Whistler white,HSE,TD4,moon roof,rubber mats

Post #13587 28th Jan 2008 6:32 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I also agree with NPINKS on this. Its a used car. If you want perfection you have to buy new (and pay the premium) though well done on getting it replaced FOC.
Ours was an ex demo too (hence the near £8,000 off list) so I was prepared to accept the odd stone chip and on collection I noticed there was a chip in the screen (hadn't spotted it on the test drive). The dealer did see me notice it but said nothing and I figured it was one of those things. The deal was done and it wasn't serious anyway. The following day, the dealer rang to say he'd noticed me notice the chip and had arranged for a windscreen repairer to come to our house and fix it at their expense.
Can't knock that.

I've not noticed any 'zits' but if I had and the dealer has told me it was wax from the factory I would insist that they cleaned it off. After all, that's what they are supposed to do at the PDI. I certainly wouldn't buy something so I could do it for them. Then the onus is on them to sort it. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #13996 6th Feb 2008 11:32 am
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
SCREEN CHIP

Which dealer was it? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #14000 6th Feb 2008 12:54 pm
nosliwedaw

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Window and paintwork 'zits'

defkalion wrote:

I have these on my windows too, I think they will come off with time as the are gone from where the wipers work.

Post #14068 8th Feb 2008 4:31 am
Kangy

Australia 
touch up bottle

Hello,

For those interested members i received the touch up bottle of paint.

Its a 50ml plastic bottle with a child proof cap,

E-Z Mix mixing touch up bottle, no 70002.

E-Z mix Chicago, H
1-800-322-5651.

Comes with a brush attached to the lid,too big for my little job.
Went to the art and craft shop and bought a Liner brush to do the artwork.

TD4 HSE auto,Whistler white with moonroof and rubber mats

Post #14087 8th Feb 2008 9:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1