« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Grinding noise at the rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Grinding noise at the rear

More interesting noises over and above the steering rack whine. I have started getting an intermittent grinding noise from the rear end, much akin to a brake back plate rubbing. Brake pads looked ok from the outside, and car passed its mot a couple of weeks back so wasn't expecting anything like this. Having removed the rear wheel, the inboard pad is down to the metal, hence the noise. The outer one still has a good 4mm on it. I know its well documented about rear pads wearing faster than the fronts, but is it common for the inner and outer pads to wear at such a different rate or am I looking at a calliper issue as well? had the car nearly four years and done just shy on 30k, mostly round town and towing a heavy caravan so not overly concerned at replacing them. The one interesting thing I have noticed is the front discs / pads I fitted straight after purchase ( brembo from ECP, so probably not the real deal) have no wear or lip on the discs and the pads look like new, after almost 4 yrs. Seems odd that they are so little worn, wonder if they are working properly or not. Only complaint if anything on both front and rear discs is pad deposits / imprints. Every other car I own has shiny discs from use, but these are continually covered in spots. Any words of advice before I replace them?

Post #429409 29th Jan 2023 6:59 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

You don't say if you have a traditional hand brake or EPB.
If it's a traditional hand brake and the inboard pad is wearing faster, then it sounds like the slide pins aren't free. If they are free then the piston is sticking.
I replaced all my calipers when I bought it, as they were all far from perfect. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #429411 29th Jan 2023 7:19 pm
Chrism551

its an 07 s model so traditional handbrake, that I wouldn't trust on anything other than level ground. I also wondered if the caravan and loaded car puts additional braking to the rear? If so, its a lot for an unvented disc to cope with. I did consider upgrading the brakes to compensate for towing, although I'm sure LR designers would have calculated this.

Post #429412 29th Jan 2023 7:35 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Rear brakes tend to wear faster when you do a lot of towing.
They should wear both inner and outer pads fairly evenly. Might be a sticky guide pin? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #429419 29th Jan 2023 9:26 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My 2014 model needed new rear pads and disks at 38K miles. One inner pad down to the metal.

I dont tow or do any town/commuter driving to speak of.

But car was 5 years old then- disk corrosion was the problem I think causing excessive pad wear on brakes little used or pad corrosion causing loss of lining.
£70 for new disks and pads Jules

Post #429429 29th Jan 2023 11:18 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Could a lining have detached from a handbrake shoe? The handbrake is (should be) only used when the car is stationary so the brake shoes have little reason to wear other than compression.

Post #429441 30th Jan 2023 8:46 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Sounds like sticking slide pins tp me as others have said - a good clean up of any deposits on them and a bit of lube on reassembly should sort that easily Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #429451 30th Jan 2023 12:22 pm
Nodge68

Chrism551 wrote:
its an 07 s model so traditional handbrake, that I wouldn't trust on anything other than level ground. I also wondered if the caravan and loaded car puts additional braking to the rear? If so, its a lot for an unvented disc to cope with. I did consider upgrading the brakes to compensate for towing, although I'm sure LR designers would have calculated this.

If the hand brake isn't holding, then it needs looking at. Mine will easily lock the rear wheels with nothing more than a gentle pull of the lever. This is how they are supposed to be, but seldom are as they are often neglected.

There's no load proportioning valve in the brake system, so having a load on the rear shouldn't effect brake wear rate at just the rear.
It's likely the calipers and or slides aren't working correctly, or even the pads aren't free to slide in the caliper bracket.
The inboard pads need to be free to move in the bracket, or they stay in contact with the rotor which will wear the pad material faster.
Most fitters don't clean up the calipers correctly, so the pads are all bound up with muck and rust, which shortens the life of the pads and rotors. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #429458 30th Jan 2023 3:17 pm
Chrism551

Thanks for the replies, mine looks just like Jules pic above, as you suggest, most likely corrosion / sticking pins. I will order some new bits and give it all a refresh. I had an issues with the handbrake just after we got it, and the mechanic at the time said the shoes etc were all relatively new. The issue he found was the adjusters which normally seize were fitted the wrong way up. Not been an issue since then, but may be due a clean and re adjust.

Post #429471 30th Jan 2023 7:15 pm
Nodge68

The hand parking brake assembly is supposed to be stripped, cleaned, lubricated every 2 years, or every 50 miles off road.
Unfortunately the system rusts up, as do the cables making it pretty useless.
Mine was dreadful, but after a proper going through and some new parts, it's now able to stop the car if needed, which is of course what it's there for.

The adjusters thing sounds like a story, as they will work either way up, and aren't handed either. In fact the parking brake assembly is identical between sides, they're just flipped over from one side to the other.

After 15 years, the whole hand parking brake assembly will probably need replacing, including the cables. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #429506 30th Jan 2023 10:57 pm
jules

deleted Jules

Last edited by jules on 31st Jan 2023 5:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #429527 31st Jan 2023 11:50 am
Chrism551

which error Jules

Post #429529 31st Jan 2023 4:40 pm
jules

I realised after id posted that the comment after mine was to the Op and tried to delete my subsequent post but it wouldnt delete Jules

Post #429530 31st Jan 2023 5:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1