« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > On-line Banking fraud
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
On-line Banking fraud

Over the weekend I transferred large amounts of money from Barclays into an another banks ISA.

This morning I received a phone call on my mobile from Mohammed claiming to be from Barclays Fraud Team 02073656004.

Before answering his "security questions" I asked him to answer my security questions to prove he was bone fide. He refused. I blocked the number.

How do these crims know Ive transferred the money over the weekend?
This is the second time Ive met this sort of scam this year, both after moving large sums from accounts via on-line banking.

Seems to me on-line banking security is not very secure. Jules

Post #429136 23rd Jan 2023 11:54 am
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I guess it’s like any other system, it’s only as strong as the weakest link

Post #429144 23rd Jan 2023 1:15 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Perhaps it's not the bank, have you ensured you have a online and an anti virus system up and running when you transferred, might be an idea to run a malware check.
The interesting thing is that you received a phone call, if the transaction was done via the internet how did they access your phone number, was the transfer done with the phone and using a banking App?
The other explanation is that there is an employee at the bank passing your information on, the solution would lie in how the transfer was made. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #429146 23rd Jan 2023 1:39 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

TV item this morning about QR codes being scammed. Seems you scan the code, you’re directed to the relevant company but then when payment is requested (such as for EV charging) you’re directed to the scammers site

Post #429147 23rd Jan 2023 2:01 pm
jules

Dartman the one wrote:
Perhaps it's not the bank, have you ensured you have a online and an anti virus system up and running when you transferred, might be an idea to run a malware check.
The interesting thing is that you received a phone call, if the transaction was done via the internet how did they access your phone number, was the transfer done with the phone and using a banking App?
The other explanation is that there is an employee at the bank passing your information on, the solution would lie in how the transfer was made.

Thanks

I recently rebuilt my desktop - new MB/CPU/RAM and new installation of Win10. I use an antivirus and malware checker - I dont think the issue is with the PC.

But I did use my Barclays phone app to make the transfers. I will contact the bank as the timing of the scams seems suspicious. Jules

Post #429149 23rd Jan 2023 2:10 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

It does appear to be a Barclays number.

I used to bank with Coop and they would regularly block transactions then call me on a withheld number and ask me "security" questions. They would refuse to give any other authentication and you had to call back on their normal phone number and sit in a queue for up to an hour to get your account unblocked. The initial "normal" call centre would have no knowledge of the previous call (and sometimes denied that the bank even had a fraud department) but you could with persistence eventually get back to the person who called you in the first place.

I presume you have called up Barclays to check?

Post #429150 23rd Jan 2023 2:14 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Sidthecat wrote:
TV item this morning about QR codes being scammed. Seems you scan the code, you’re directed to the relevant company but then when payment is requested (such as for EV charging) you’re directed to the scammers site

This is very real and relevant to those who use cash free parking. It seems that the crooks are producing stickers that are placed over the official QR code on parking signs, so that you make an automatic payment into their account and not the parking firms.

I suspect that it will spread to other QR sourced public payments.

https://www.iow.gov.uk/news/Be-vigilant-of...20details. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #429152 23rd Jan 2023 2:37 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

QRcodes for quick and painless payments, what could possibly go wrong. Thanks for the update!

Post #429153 23rd Jan 2023 2:51 pm
IanMetro

Re: On-line Banking fraud

jules wrote:
Over the weekend I transferred large amounts of money from Barclays into an another banks ISA.

This morning I received a phone call on my mobile from Mohammed claiming to be from Barclays Fraud Team 02073656004.

Before answering his "security questions" I asked him to answer my security questions to prove he was bone fide. He refused. I blocked the number.

How do these crims know Ive transferred the money over the weekend?
This is the second time Ive met this sort of scam this year, both after moving large sums from accounts via on-line banking.

Seems to me on-line banking security is not very secure.

I would not give details back to an unexpected phone call.

Barclays (and other banks) advise that you ring off, and on another phone line or mobile, you ring the known phone number you ring the official number as shown on your bank card, or on official website, and ask if they are trying to contact you.
DO NOT ring back on the same phone, unless you have phoned a friend successfully to prove phone line is clear and working.

There is lots of advice on the Banks Website.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/fraud-and-scams/latest-scams/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #429154 23rd Jan 2023 2:52 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Jules, you do need the same protection on your phone despite using the App, the problem with with phone numbers displayed on mobiles is they can be anyone's, though you ring back the number by dialling it not returning it you will be connected to the real number, yes you can safely answer the his questions provided you do not give out any full pass numbers or passwords and be suspicious if you are passed on and the security question asks for different numbers or letters from the same passcode, you can ask to confirm using phone codes sent by e-mail or text. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #429155 23rd Jan 2023 2:54 pm
jules

congoblue wrote:
It does appear to be a Barclays number.

I used to bank with Coop and they would regularly block transactions then call me on a withheld number and ask me "security" questions. They would refuse to give any other authentication and you had to call back on their normal phone number and sit in a queue for up to an hour to get your account unblocked. The initial "normal" call centre would have no knowledge of the previous call (and sometimes denied that the bank even had a fraud department) but you could with persistence eventually get back to the person who called you in the first place.

I presume you have called up Barclays to check?

Yes but I didnt do it immediately as I was sure it was a scam.
I rang Barclays and yes they had blocked my account (my phone app showed a message but not the website) following the transfers but they hadnt made any direct communication with me other than the crackly phone call which I found suspicious.

So no scam involved this time.

But you have to be so careful:

Last year I put my series 3 up for sale on Ebay. I got a call from a sales person supposedly from the media company /publishers of Landrover International magazine offering a half price deal on their classified advert section. My suspicions were aroused for some reason (he was too chatty and too pushy to get the deal done) so I asked to be rung back. Meanwhile I checked the publishers website and Landover International was not one of theirs.
I rang their number on the publishers website (which was the same as the number his call was showing on my phone) and got through to their sales dept. They had never heard of the person and confirmed the magazine was not in their portfolio. Jules

Post #429160 23rd Jan 2023 4:46 pm
jules

The chap from Barclays Fraud Team says they have to keep changing their numbers because they get cloned. Jules

Post #429161 23rd Jan 2023 4:48 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

Co-op told me they phone using a withheld number because the calling number can be simulated very easily. I find it ridiculous that a genuine bank fraud dept calls you and tries to get you to verify who you are, but cannot provide a way for you to verify who they are.

Post #429162 23rd Jan 2023 5:26 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Anyone remember the dial back scam when we were using dial up modems? I got my phone bill and discovered that my modem had been redirected to dial a premium rate number to access my ISP via an island off Africa called Sao Tome. That was a £90 call even though I had told BT not to allow any premium rate calls. Looks like it's going full circle. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #429163 23rd Jan 2023 5:29 pm
IanMetro

The main trouble I have with security checks, that the bank can spring on you, whilst in the queue paying with card, is that I cannot always remember what 'special' word I told which bank, etc.

I try to use unique usernames, passwords across money bearing accounts, and different email addresses. If it doesn't confuse the fraudsters, it definitely sometimes confuses me. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #429167 23rd Jan 2023 7:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>