« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Failed EGR Cooler/Regular Loss of Coolant/Blanking Plate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tomtd4

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Barolo Black
Failed EGR Cooler/Regular Loss of Coolant/Blanking Plate

I know this subject has been grilled many times but one point I couldn’t see from any of the threads is whether fitting the blanking plate on inlet pipe will reduce the loss of coolant through the failed EGR cooler into the exhaust.

Has anyone on here in conjunction blocked off the EGR exhaust port side on exhaust itself and removed coolant lines. If so is it possible without removing EGR cooler itself.

My TD4 has been losing modest amounts of coolant for years! Still runs okish, but chuggy/white smoke on startups as you would expect with failed cooler but feel time now to bypass the thing.

Post #427534 6th Dec 2022 11:49 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

The main problem with taking an EGR valve out of circuit is an MOT tester spotting it and failing the MOT for doing so. The Emmissions circuit is protected by Law now. You cannot legally alter the emmissions system without extensive testing and re-certification of a vehicle. Lots of people will argue to do so and try and disguise it, but an Insurance claim could catch one out these days. Fitting a blanking plate will not stop coolant loss, replacing the cooler will. Its a fiddly job under the back of the engine, but you will need to have a stud set, gaskets and nuts available. Its best to remove the exhaust out of the way. The cooler is the silver stainless part. Replacing the whole lot will make your engine run more efficiently, and better MPG.

Post #427551 7th Dec 2022 12:46 pm
Tomtd4

Thanks for the response and yes makes perfect sense as also removing entirely will require software changes.

Personally I will put blanking plate on first to see how it runs.
Will probably put my big boy pants on and get on replacing the cooler with help of a family member who has every known tool available.

Not inclined to pay a garage 800-900 quid.

I can see a repair kit for 75 quid is offered by JLR but not sure if this kit is suitable for my needs. Will make enquiries.

Cheers

Post #427562 7th Dec 2022 8:07 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Is the coolant pressurised too?
Normally if the EGR cooler is letting coolant past, then the coolant system will also be up to the same pressure as the intake system, which is higher than the coolant system pressure.
In my experience, fitting a blanking plate will reduce the speed of coolant loss, as the hot gasses tend to draw coolant along with them. Fitting a blank plate will reduce this from happening, but will also allow coolant to build up in the EGR pipe, which could create its own issues.
I believe my EGR cooler is currently leaking, as I loose coolant slowly (except when towing when loss is faster), and the system it pressurised much more than it should.
It's on my To Do list. It's a couple of hours work to replace the EGR cooler. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #427578 8th Dec 2022 12:37 pm
Tomtd4

Thumbs Up

Post #427738 13th Dec 2022 12:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1