« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > HDC Fault / Special Programs OFF/ ABS Fault light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
notwen

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tambora Flame
HDC Fault / Special Programs OFF/ ABS Fault light

Hi guys and gals. I'm calling upon your mercy yet again to work out a problem on my FR2 2007 Diesel manual.
I've got two problems really at the moment.....one of which (Heater Blower fan) I think I've got an idea of what's the real problem now, but the other (being HDC Fault / Special Programs OFF/ ABS Fault light) just seems to have cropped in sympathy whilst the vehicle has been parked up for a week or so! Censored

My original problem: Heater blower fan not working. Checked fuses etc - ok. Read on www about Heater Blower fan resistor pack. Ordered on of those - which arrived today. Fitted it. Fan started working. (Happy Days!...I thought). But then would not switch off - even with ignition/ key out! (BR$TPART)?
Refitted the old one back again - Fan works!. So I'm guessing (unfortunately) it's the brushes on the motor isnt it? The (BR$TPART) resistor must have at least given the fan full voltage to force it past a 'dead patch' to get it moving until next time?
So looks like I'll need a new blower motor soon?

So worst still, insult to injury: When I came to startup the vehicle today, after about a week standing, to repair the blower fan, kept coming up HDC Fault / Special Programs OFF/ ABS Fault light.
I've tried the usual things: Stop/Start, Un-lock/Lock, and taken in to consideration low battery voltage. Drive it home this evening in the hope of giving the battery a good charge - 30miles journey. The faults went out. Then later returned. Big Cry Current Vehicles:
2007 Freelander 2 - XS Tabora Flame TD4
1989 Range-Rover Vogue SE V8 3.9 Petrol/LPG
1976 Land-Rover SIII SWB 88 County, 2.25l Petrol/LPG
Past vehicles:
1999 Range-Rover P38 V8 4.0 - Money pit
1988 Range-Rover V8 3.9

Post #427389 29th Nov 2022 11:03 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

How old is the battery - unless it's very recent - change it. The nights are getting colder.

This could be the cheapest fix.

Then if it doesn't cure fault, read the fault codes, it might be a real fault. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #427390 30th Nov 2022 12:03 am
RocketStu

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Yep, could well be the battery being low on charge.

Post #427394 30th Nov 2022 7:49 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Battery age first. Although some batteries carry on working for years, after 4 years they are on borrowed time. A 30 mile journey might be over in 15 minutes if you live right next to a motorway junction or it might be over an hour in a city. It doesn’t matter. It can take my ctek charger 8 hours to charge the battery to float so your 30 mile journey isn’t long enough.
HDC,Special Programs, and ABS all depend on the ABS pump. If it doesn’t report back promptly on startup none of those will be reported available when you press the button to start the car. The low charge on the battery didn’t give the pump the energy for it to start up quickly enough.
The ventilation fan probably just needed its bearings lubricated once you’d moved it.

Post #427398 30th Nov 2022 8:32 am
notwen

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tambora Flame

Hi guys.
Just thought I'd better give an update on this what I found (should have done it sooner I know) but just in case anyone else encounters such problems.

The HDC/ ABS/ Programs fault seems to have disappeared after a number of days driving the vehicle again. So I think we can say (hopefully) this was low battery voltage.
The battery was only replaced approx 18mths ago - but I suppose on modern cars - the battery takes alot of work.

Regarding the Heater Fan. I ordered a replacement (after market) Heater fan resistor (Sh*tpart) - plugged that in, and hey presstow the heater fan run at Full speed but un-variable. Worst still, when you turned the ignition off - fan continued to work!!!
So the replacement resistor was faulty.

Plugged the old/ original one back in - and Heater Fan worked just as it should!

Therefore from this I conclude that the faulty Sh*tpart resistor gave the heater motor full voltage - which at least enabled the motor to rotate past a dead spot - but ultimately I have to accept that I am on borrowed time with the heater fan motor?

Its kept working since (for now)......but looks like one hell of a job to replace one when it does completely fail!!!! Censored Current Vehicles:
2007 Freelander 2 - XS Tabora Flame TD4
1989 Range-Rover Vogue SE V8 3.9 Petrol/LPG
1976 Land-Rover SIII SWB 88 County, 2.25l Petrol/LPG
Past vehicles:
1999 Range-Rover P38 V8 4.0 - Money pit
1988 Range-Rover V8 3.9

Post #428532 5th Jan 2023 11:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1