Home > Technical > Low power under 2k revs, stalling diesel auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sl0wM0Beagle

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
Low power under 2k revs, stalling diesel auto

Hello

I was hoping I might get some advice, pointers on what issue I might be having with the following symptoms of my 07 Diesel Auto Freelander

- When Starting, the engine sounds like it drops right down in revs, almost like it about to stall, then doesn't
- Once stalled when reversing. When reversing in general, engine sounds like its about to stall.
- Seems to have very low power when under 2k revs, or starting off the line (foot planted to the floor, but nothing)
- Once had no power when leaving the end of my road, to the point had to pull over and restart the car (no issues later in that journey), note, car had been sat for a week and maybe started once or twice to move it around the driveway
- Fuel MPG is about 20-22
- No lights on the dashboard at any point

I've done some google searching, and its lead to a few possibilities, however, I wanted to ask this group to get unbiased thoughts

Thanks in advance!

Post #431682 12th Apr 2023 8:29 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Fuel filter???

Crank sensor?? 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #431683 12th Apr 2023 9:00 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Any OBD faults reported on scanner?

Any Messages on dashboard?

Is the battery getting old and not giving sufficient power to electronics during start up?
(You say that a restart cures problem, start up faults are often the battery) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #431687 12th Apr 2023 9:21 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Does the battery light come on ? If so common thing put it in park and rev or turn off and start again

Post #431688 12th Apr 2023 9:26 am
Sl0wM0Beagle

Thanks for the replies

@Rommel - Possibly, wouldnt know where to start to check that
@IanMetro - I don't have a scanner. There are no messages or warning. No lights on the dash
@SYFL2 - No battery light comes on

These lights appear when first starting, all disappear, leaving only the handbrake.

Click image to enlarge

Just took it for another 20 min run and seemed to be ok again, even when reversing.

Post #431701 12th Apr 2023 2:04 pm
IanMetro

Sounds like typical battery problems - random faults following start up.
With luck you should be alright until the cold weather sets in next Autumn.
Then get a new battery at the first sign of problems.

Having said that, you may have seen me take a different approach in my post.
I am trying to get over the symptoms by keeping my battery charged now and again, and I have a modern Lithium Battery Booster for emergencies.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic38965.ht...ry+charger

Click image to enlarge
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #431704 12th Apr 2023 2:43 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

i get loss of power ,ie limp mode,when its been cold,and unused for a week or so,i can also get the same problem if i put the heated seat on, and the battery is still in a low state of charge.the battery is an agm,and not very old.so i leave a ctek charger connected and this cures the problem.

Post #431706 12th Apr 2023 8:26 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Good evening, I had this very occasionally where in reverse the engine and gearbox twists on its mountings and was pulling the cables/wiring loom below the nearside headlight (a well known fail). Where cables are shorting to chassis. This would only happen reversing my caravan when the engine/gearbox is under strain. A simple fix.

Yes also to the fuel filter a possible problem there with engine load.

The crank sensor is also a possible failure but I think would put a engine management system light on.

Post #431710 12th Apr 2023 9:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Good evening, I had this very occasionally where in reverse the engine and gearbox twists on its mountings and was pulling the cables/wiring loom below the nearside headlight (a well known fail). Where cables are shorting to chassis. This would only happen reversing my caravan when the engine/gearbox is under strain. A simple fix.

Yes also to the fuel filter a possible problem there with engine load.

The crank sensor is also a possible failure but I think would put a engine management system light on.

Post #431711 12th Apr 2023 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

@Sl0wM0Beagle

How many miles since last service and fuel filter change ?

How old is the battery ? Jules

Post #431716 12th Apr 2023 10:45 pm
IanMetro

Re: Low power under 2k revs, stalling diesel auto

Sl0wM0Beagle wrote:
Hello

I was hoping I might get some advice, pointers on what issue I might be having with the following symptoms of my 07 Diesel Auto Freelander

1-When Starting, the engine sounds like it drops right down in revs, almost like it about to stall, then doesn't
2- Once stalled when reversing. When reversing in general, engine sounds like its about to stall.
- Seems to have very low power when under 2k revs, or starting off the line (foot planted to the floor, but nothing)
3- Once had no power when leaving the end of my road, to the point had to pull over and restart the car (no issues later in that journey), note, car had been sat for a week and maybe started once or twice to move it around the driveway
4- Fuel MPG is about 20-22
5- No lights on the dashboard at any point

I've done some google searching, and its lead to a few possibilities, however, I wanted to ask this group to get unbiased thoughts

Thanks in advance!

Having read your initial post again, I still believe that you can cure this, short term, by giving your battery a good charge. Then, long term, get a new battery before the winter, and buy an OBD Scanner. (even a cheap one will give you a clue about what the FL2 thinks is wrong)

Point 1 - typical low battery behaviour.
Points 2 and 3 - Sounds like you are in 'Limp home mode'.
Point 4 - Typical MPG if you are using FL2 only for lots of short very short journeys.
( Since my last fill up, I have had only trips to and from local shops, about 8 starts and stops over total 9.5 miles -- showing 21 mpg. Today, when I start using for longer trips it will rise to about 34-36 mpg)
Point 5 - OBD Reader may be showing actual or pending faults.

Edit - Update on point 4 - I am now back from my journey - further 95miles - average mpg now reads 34.8 mpg - includes about 40 miles each way cruising on motorway at indicated 65-70 mph. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #431718 13th Apr 2023 9:05 am
Sl0wM0Beagle

Thanks for the replies. For some reason I don't get an email when someone replies, even though the option is ticked...

I checked the battery, it was reading 12.1, then after a run it was back up to 12.5. So it's something I'm going to monitor and check periodically.

@Jules, tbh I'm not 100% sure, need to dig out the service book, but TBH recon it's overdue! I only got the car a 4,5 months ago. I know it had its had the EGR, Timing belt & break fluid changed just before I bought it

@IanMetro, thanks. RE your point 4, thanks for flagging that. TBH, right now I am only doing sub 15 mile journeys. Plan to do a longer run this weekend, so will be good to see how it improves

Fun story, also just filled it up to full tank for the first time and I think I broke the gauge, as it now only shows 3/4 full, but I know its full because I tried to fill it up again (thinking the tank was empty) and it clicked after 2 liters Confused

I've got an OBD scanner on order.

Post #431866 19th Apr 2023 3:33 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mine usd to start ok, but randomly didn't want to know when i put it in gear. No power, no pull away. Back in to neutral, ran fine, rev'ed ok. In drive, no go. No warnings. At first no codes found by dealer either.

Eventually died on me. Managed to restart it, nursed it to dealer. Code read (again) said EGR & Oxy sensor. Over £800 later, picked it up, no problems.

Much later had crank sensor symptoms, couple of stalls, eventual restart. In addition had random repetitive faults with Sat Nav/Radio/BT, all MOST related. After 8 years ownership, part exed it. Dealer code read = 32 historical faults, MOT revealed both broken front springs. Made the right decision.

Now have an Audi. It just works. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #431868 19th Apr 2023 5:04 pm
IanMetro

Fuel Gauge Problems - could be tank wiring - causes low power

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37591.html?highlight=fuel+gauge FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #431870 19th Apr 2023 6:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1