« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Dreaded Restricted Performance message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sewerman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Dreaded Restricted Performance message

So got the Restricted performance message this morning after a few minutes driving, parked up for an hour and message was gone on starting but after a few minutes read the codes with the AUTEL and it gave

No clouds of Black smoke just no turbo power - so is there anything to try before I look at a new actuator? and if it needs to be done how easy are they to fit on your back on a damp drive way?

Its a2013 GS with £144k on the clock.

Thanks in advance

Post #426194 25th Oct 2022 9:14 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I had a similar problem some months ago and I have copied/pasted my original post (see below)

The outcome was that the AA confirmed the fault and with a bit of persuasion from me delivered the car to the Main Dealer (I thought it to be unsafe to drive up motorway to the garage)

The garage confirmed the fault codes and asked the LR Warranty people to authorise a change of turbo, however LR Warranty asked for a full functional procedure and check to be carried out.
As I understand it this comprised of resetting everything and exercising/checking functioning of turbo.
Afterwards, and on the subsequent road test, all appeared to work perfectly. The garage rang me with the news, but agreed to carry out an extended road test as I was convinced the fault would reappear.

No fault was found and the car was returned to me with no charge for work at all.

My car has now run for about 2 months with no further problems. I can only suspect that the resetting/exercising of the turbo somehow cleared the sticking of the turbo vanes.

Therefore believe if you are looking for a DIY solution, you start with exercising the vanes manual.

Today about 40 miles from home, whilst accelerating via 'resume cruise' button, out of a round about,

felt sudden deceleration, and speed levelled at 50mph, with no control via accelerator,

yellow and red warning triangles and 'Restricted Performance' appeared on dashboard.

Stopping at nearest layby, switching off/locking made no difference.

Continued carefully to destination, found that a fully locked rest of about 20 minutes (shopping) cleared the fault.

All OK until about 10 miles toward home on, again the same fault on leaving roundabout.

Continued most of the Journey home mostly on dual carriageways/motorways, medium acceleration to 30mph, then exceedingly slow progress up tp about 60mph cruising.
A couple of scary moments when slight changes in gradient took 20mph off speed quite quickly (enough to make us choose to do the last 10 miles down backroads, instead of tackling the long motorway incline)

At home OBD pending readings of P0046, P259E, P2263 and a waff - waff - waff sound if throttle blipped.
I suspect the turbo / turbo actuator.

I have extended warranty so phoned main dealer (for some reason you can now only speak to a call centre - nowhere near the garage) I have to leave car there for 2 - 3 days for an emergency diagnosis and then longer for a repair!
Worst still I cannot have a courtesy car until the fault has been diagnosed and confirmed.

The fault seems to only occur when warm, but I feel that it is unsafe to drive up the motorway to dealer, so tomorrow I will be calling the AA out.

Ironically, at the end of the month I will be changing to the enhanced LR Warranty, at which time they would have handled the whole problem from the beginning. I think it was 'dorset' on this forum who recommended full cover, I should have listened!

It is my first real 'taking car away' fault in my 10 years with Freelander 2s.

PS I never received a courtesy car, although interestingly the man who delivered my car back to me, expected to pick one up? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #426198 25th Oct 2022 10:08 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I would check the accentuator linkage is working, you should be able to move the linkage and it should go back to it's original position.

Post #426205 25th Oct 2022 12:24 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Take a look here

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/l...tor-fault/ Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #426206 25th Oct 2022 12:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1